Sponsored by:

Anyone wearing Speed Lingerie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone wearing Speed Lingerie?

The Speed Lingerie stuff looks to be pretty high quality... is anyone using this product in lieu of a clear bra?

Any comments on attachment method, durability, other issues would be most appreciated. It's not cheap, and I'd like to make an informed purchase decision.

TIA,

-don
Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Check with Orient Express. He is over on the 996 forum as has it on his IMMACULATE 996CAB......in of all colors? Orient Red.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You could not pay me to put those on a Porsche finish!

A clear film is the best way to protect the finish.

Put one of those items on and you'll be sanding the finish down! Dust,dirt gets lodged in them, and you'll notice the finish will start to dull around the edges and other areas.

I get several of these cars in for detail and whip them off and show customers why the finish looks the way it does. Once I'm done, they go and see Armorglove to film the cars finish. I end up tossing these in the trash each time!

If that's what you want on a fine finish, well you have been warned!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-15-2006, 12:07 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

The stuff is pretty high tech in terms of its fit. It's so darn tight. I wouldn't touch it with a ten food pole. It can causes scratches. Go clear.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Actually, I run with the simple Colgan stuff. About $100 and fits like leather hot pants...
Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2006, 12:53 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Oh that is so bad...sorry, I'm not being nice but...take that sh*t off! NOW! I'll bet you put plastic covers on your leather sofas. And with that awesome color....I agree with Deanski on this one. Maybe put those on your wife?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Put one of those items on and you'll be sanding the finish down! Dust,dirt gets lodged in them, and you'll notice the finish will start to dull around the edges and other areas.
You're absolutely right, Jim.

That's why once I put one on my Z (eons ago), I was stuck having to wear it all the time because of all the scratches from having it on the car. It was like a Darth Vader mask. If you dare to take it off, it's hideous underneath.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Hey! Been using bras for years and never had that problem. I follow a careful regiment,--and things are STILL perky after all these years!

After all, they're only there to catch the BUGS!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:41 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
You're absolutely right, Jim.

That's why once I put one on my Z (eons ago), I was stuck having to wear it all the time because of all the scratches from having it on the car. It was like a Darth Vader mask. If you dare to take it off, it's hideous underneath.
how old was your car in this pic?
looks like it just came off the showroom floor!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Picture was taken about 24 hrs ago. ...

Took it last night and sold it this evening. ... See my other thread.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:48 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
and things are STILL perky after all these years!

After all, they're only there to catch the BUGS!
All these years...isn't that a 997? How old is it? Ooops I guess you were talking about something other than the car.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Oh that is so bad...sorry, I'm not being nice but...take that sh*t off! NOW! I'll bet you put plastic covers on your leather sofas. And with that awesome color....I agree with Deanski on this one. Maybe put those on your wife?
Good one!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:11 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
What's the big issue? Keep surfaces nice and clean, don't leave on when wet, make sure it fits properly (vibrations mean scratches).

Thousands of guys have/use them and complaints about scratching paint are NOT typical on these boards.

If you're gonna do a 100+ mile trip on the highways you put the bra on. All other times (Sunday drive, to office) you leave it off.

IMO, getting a bra that matches the color of the car is a bit much; it looks like weird undercoating cr*p where nice paint should be. Besides, who bothers to make a fashion statement (same color as paint) when all you're doing is some long distance highway driving surrounded by trucks?

Just get a black one by Colgan.
why not just cover the whole car with a protective covering. make it look like a disguised spy photo car. and while youre at it, you should get some covers for your shoes for those rainy days
Old 07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD
I figure when the stones are really flying, like on an interstate during a long drive, you might as well put the bra on. It's just that laws of chance and probability create unacceptable conditions so you use the bra to achieve your goal to *reasonably* lessen wear and tear on the front spoiler/bumper.

Thanks, MMD. Just what I was thinking. I certainly would not use it every day, only for Interstate road-trips...

I understand the value of the clear bra, guys - but I'm not convinced that I like the look. Hell, I might as well wrap the car fully in peel-coat (like the Ruf RT12 in the September Excellence).

OTHO, I'm not going to drive from Chicago to Detroit on I-294/I-94/I-275 without at least _some_ protection...

Thanks,

-don
Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
You can also accumulate a few dozen chips, just leave them there, and then if you eventually get a big ugly one you can then decide get the whole thing fixed all at once.
This is a great point. I figure that with all my track miles, I'll eventually get some chips in the nose piece. At that point, I'll spring for an aerokit. Wham! New front clip, new rear wing, done. Realize that those are *plastic* parts you're protecting with the clear bra or 'speed lingerie'. Bugs are easy to clean off, and anything big enough to cause any structural damage (crack/dent) would likely be unencumbered by the bra piece anyway.

Quick Reply: Anyone wearing Speed Lingerie?