Sponsored by:

For those of you with TPMS--

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
CButler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with TPMS--

I've recently taken delivery of my '06 997S with the lobster forks. Although I admit that I've not yet spent much time RTFM, as I've been travelling, I am curious what most of you are running in terms of front and rear tire pressure. My current tire pressure settings seem rather high in comparison to other cars I've owned, but that may indeed be a Porsche specific recommendation. Certainly I'll research this, but for now am curious.

Your comments please.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run mine at what the stick says inside the driver's door.

For the Pirelli's on my car it's 36F 44R for standard C2S 19" wheels setup.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My car starts each day at roughly 33/39 and sometimes with a full day of driving runs up to 41/44.

Dan
Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
cpadula
Intermediate

ditto...

33/37 >>> 40 / 43

Casey
Old 07-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Frino
Pro

34/40 cold Michelin PS on 06 C2S
Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why's everyone several pounds under the recommended?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:44 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

im 37 - 42ish
Old 07-13-2006, 05:35 PM
barrett
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

People are not really under the "recommended" pressures. The recommended numbers on the door still sticker is for a fully loaded car, i.e. with two people and luggage. The manual gets more specific and gives the recommended numbers for a less loaded car, i.e. one passenger and no luggage.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Not on mine

Originally Posted by barrett
People are not really under the "recommended" pressures. The recommended numbers on the door still sticker is for a fully loaded car, i.e. with two people and luggage. The manual gets more specific and gives the recommended numbers for a less loaded car, i.e. one passenger and no luggage.
The sticker on mine is for the car "normal" i.e. not fully loaded. The service manage told me when I asked which pressures to follow that the ones inside the door were the most current and to ignore the manual as they may have been printed months earlier and may not have the most up-to-date information in it.

The sticker recommendation also changes by brand of tire: PS2's are lower than for Pirelli's.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Why's everyone several pounds under the recommended?
Because you'll get a premature flat if you don't pull back from that. Search the 997 forum for all of the poor souls who have lost a rear tire with < 1000 miles on their car because they hit something trivial like a road reflector.

I was keeping my car at the recommend when cold and empty and I found myself hit 52 psi in around the town spirited driving on a 70 degree day. 52 is right at the limit of maximum pressure so the odds of popping that baby are great.

My dealership pulled the pressure to 34 f / 40 r and it has been MUCH better. The car is much smoother and comfortable, yet it did extremely well at the track (never in danger of the pressure being too high or having to let air out).

These tires don't hold much air so add or a remove a little and you'll see a measurable change in PSI.

Oh yeah, and the TPMS isn't fully real time. It takes samples at some interval period, so use a air gauge and wait about 2 or 3 minutes to see what TPMS says before you are done.

And cold means cold - like before you drive it out of your garage, not when you get to the gas station 2 miles away.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One of the reasons Porsche had the hollow spoked wheels on the 959 and later on the Turbo Twists was to get a higher volume of air into the wheels,--clearly when you're running on a 30 series tire and solid rims you're not going to be able to put much air in, and any changes will be larger 'deltas' than any more conventional wheel/tire combo, like a 50 or 60 series tire. Wheel production costs made that difficult to maintain as an OEM wheel.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ronmart]I was keeping my car at the recommend when cold and empty and I found myself hit 52 psi in around the town spirited driving on a 70 degree day. 52 is right at the limit of maximum pressure so the odds of popping that baby are great.[QUOTE]

Actually - you can go double the ratting in tire pressure before it will blow - but wear with it over inflated would be another factor...
Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
Because you'll get a premature flat if you don't pull back from that. Search the 997 forum for all of the poor souls who have lost a rear tire with < 1000 miles on their car because they hit something trivial like a road reflector.

I was keeping my car at the recommend when cold and empty and I found myself hit 52 psi in around the town spirited driving on a 70 degree day. 52 is right at the limit of maximum pressure so the odds of popping that baby are great.

My dealership pulled the pressure to 34 f / 40 r and it has been MUCH better. The car is much smoother and comfortable, yet it did extremely well at the track (never in danger of the pressure being too high or having to let air out).

These tires don't hold much air so add or a remove a little and you'll see a measurable change in PSI.

Oh yeah, and the TPMS isn't fully real time. It takes samples at some interval period, so use a air gauge and wait about 2 or 3 minutes to see what TPMS says before you are done.

And cold means cold - like before you drive it out of your garage, not when you get to the gas station 2 miles away.

Thanks for the info. I'll try dropping a few pounds and see how the ride changes. Not me, the tire pressure.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM
clif
Advanced

i was told to keep the pressures (one person in car) at 33-39 f-r it also handles much better. this is described as partial loads in book. i had 3 in the car went up to 39-44 and it was fine until temps inched to 92-94 then it seemed to hammer on small bumps.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:12 PM
clif
Advanced

btw mine always reads about 2 psi low (digital guage says tires are 2 lbs higher than tpms says) amd the 2 psi is all around ie each tire is high by 2. tires are 19s and pretty sensitive to tire pressure. at "sticker settings" it's so rough my wife won't ride in the car. hmm that's not all bad/

Quick Reply: For those of you with TPMS--