Sponsored by:

No LSD's on US base 997s (C2 & C4)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I've owned both and have put both on track. Go figure, the motor in my 997S feels more visceral and none have blown up or burned much oil.

As on the interenets. . . things get overblown.

Except for the sunroof issue.
I searched the Boxster and 996 forums on multiple occasion and couldn't find anyone suffering any issues from oil starvation or spun bearings. I think the inadequacy of the sump is nothing more than Internet lore.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,954 Likes on 2,806 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I searched the Boxster and 996 forums on multiple occasion and couldn't find anyone suffering any issues from oil starvation or spun bearings. I think the inadequacy of the sump is nothing more than Internet lore.
Well, the dry-sump motor is much more stout in general, aside from the better oiling. I doubt that Porsche would use a motor that costs 4 times as much on the GT3, GT2, and Turbo if there was no inherent advantage in that design. It also allows the motor to be rebuilt, rather than disposed of when required...
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so the moral of the story is either be happy with the open diff in the 997 C2S or get the C4S. I'm not interested in the GT3 and the Turbo is out of my price range. Perhaps I should be looking at 993's? I'm not interested in the 996 at this point.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the man who owns one... C4S is the smart choice! <g>

Signal Green would be good.

-d
Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Moderato
Ok so the moral of the story is either be happy with the open diff in the 997 C2S or get the C4S. I'm not interested in the GT3 and the Turbo is out of my price range. Perhaps I should be looking at 993's? I'm not interested in the 996 at this point.
Huh?

The C4S has an open diff, and does not have the LSD as an option as does the turbo.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,954 Likes on 2,806 Posts

Yeah, a 993 with LSD is pretty easy to find and will hold its value very well. Or you could move out of North America and buy a 997 with the sweet lowered sport suspsension with integral LSD (just not available in this market)...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Huh?

The C4S has an open diff, and does not have the LSD as an option as does the turbo.

Yah, I think that the point was:

1.) Buy a C2 with open diff or
2.) Buy a C4S with open diff - but at least it's AWD.

Not sure...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM
frayed
Race Car

Moderato what's the big issue that you are trying to overcome? The logic of buying a C4S to avoid a single, rear open diff in favor of two open diffs makes no sense.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

do you track a LOT? if not, you dont really NEED LSD, nice to have, but not necessary.
unless you find a 993 wiht low mileage, otherwise i suspenct the LSD would have been worn out by now.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Yah, I think that the point was:

1.) Buy a C2 with open diff or
2.) Buy a C4S with open diff - but at least it's AWD.

Not sure...
Yes that was my point exactly.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Moderato
Racer

Moderato what's the big issue that you are trying to overcome? The logic of buying a C4S to avoid a single, rear open diff in favor of two open diffs makes no sense.
Yes the C4S has 2 open diffs, but you forget the center LSD! I just like my RWD cars to have a real LSD, not the open diff, computer applies the brakes to the spinning wheel to transfer power. RWD is fun, however AWD traction is fun too but in a different way. It's not an easy decision, but if the C2S came with an LSD I think that would be enough to sway me, however it doesn't and I don't like having an open rear diff with the electronic braking, so that sways me back to the C4S. It's true that the C4S won't have the light steering & you won't be able to steer with the throttle in the same manner like you would with the C2S, however what it will have is traction. You punch the gas on a C4S and regardless of the traction level or grade of the road you are going to get traction and accelerate. The C2S will be spinning one wheel and the computer will apply the brake transfering power....etc, I don't like that. At least with an LSD you get both wheels spinning without any braking.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
do you track a LOT? if not, you dont really NEED LSD, nice to have, but not necessary.
unless you find a 993 wiht low mileage, otherwise i suspenct the LSD would have been worn out by now.
No I don't track a lot, but I still like a certain level & type of performance in my cars, regardless. If I did track a lot, I wouldn't even be considering a C2S or C4S, I'd be getting a GT3!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:02 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

No I don't track a lot, but I still like a certain level & type of performance in my cars, regardless. If I did track a lot, I wouldn't even be considering a C2S or C4S, I'd be getting a GT3!
Where exactly does the C2S fall short in performance for you?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:48 AM
frayed
Race Car

The C2S will be spinning one wheel and the computer will apply the brake transfering power....etc, I don't like that. At least with an LSD you get both wheels spinning without any braking.
You are describing active brake differential, and both the C2 and C4 have it. I'm not sure you can escape this by simply buying a C4.

Anway, having owned several RWD cars, including a GT3, I can tell you with certainty the C2S is incredibly stable and does not suffer from frequent ABD application like my 996 C2 displayed. It is an immensely satisfying car and the lack of LSD does not detract from the driving experience. But I reckon you'd need some miles of hard driving to understand/believe what I'm trying to state.

On my dedicated track car I have a 40% lockup, 3 clutch, aggressive ramp angle, cooled custom built diff. In track applications on a car that can have a 'light' rear end, it notably enhances traction, especially at 2800 lbs and 400 hp on tap.

On my 997S, on the other hand, I don't really miss it. . . though lurid slides require you to press the PSM button. During such lurid slides, ABD is non intrusive. The real difference b/t the LSD equiped GT3 and the 997S in a drift situation, is predictability. . . the GT3 was slightly more tractable.

There are reasons why the C4 cars are a more interesting choice for some, but justifying the car choice b/c of lack of LSD on the C2S is off the mark IMO.

In any event, they are both stellar cars and the only cars that could possibly rip my C2S out of my hands is the new GT3 or maybe an Fcar.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Where exactly does the C2S fall short in performance for you?
Traction and the way the car was set up to deal with it. This is a quote taken from the 997 Carrera brochure: "For even better traction through turns, PASM can be swapped for an optional sports suspension package with a mechanically locking rear differential." Why would this even be an option if it wasn't an improvement? Why would the GT3 come with an LSD if it wasn't better? Why is this option available on the Turbo? Of course as it turns out we can't get that option for the C2S or C4S here.

Quick Reply: No LSD's on US base 997s (C2 & C4)?