Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   No LSD's on US base 997s (C2 & C4)? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/282525-no-lsds-on-us-base-997s-c2-and-c4.html)

Moderato 06-26-2006 11:28 PM

No LSD's on US base 997s (C2 & C4)?

Does the fact that you can't get the limited slip differentials on US base 997s bother anyone? They are on the GT3's and are options for the 997TT so they must be good for something.

stom_m3 06-27-2006 03:07 AM

Very much so. Love the car but I can't believe I just paid 6 digits for an open dif.

GrantG 06-27-2006 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Moderato
Does the fact that you can't get the limited slip differentials on US base 997s bother anyone? They are on the GT3's and are options for the 997TT so they must be good for something.

Yes, it's a very sad state of affairs. No C2 has had the option of an LSD since 1999 in the USA, except for a small number of anniversary 911 models in 2004...

Moderato 06-27-2006 08:43 PM

I just don't understand it. In Europe you can get the 997 C2 or C4 with an LSD, they do equip the US GT3 with one, and it's an option for the TT here, but not the C2S ???. I can't imagine paying 80K - 90K for the C2S that I want and having to be unhappy with the fact that I'll have an open rear diff. :confused:

larrytrk 06-27-2006 08:59 PM

What for $100K, Stupid american!! You will like what we give you!!!!!!!!!

1999Porsche911 06-27-2006 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by larrytrk
What for $100K, Stupid american!! You will like what we give you!!!!!!!!!

You are exactly right! As long as people are willing to buy something that is less than what they want, what motivation is there for the manufacturer to change anything.

larrytrk 06-27-2006 09:24 PM

This, In my humble opinion, is the feeling I get from the the auto makers, based on past experience, Particularly with German cars. Going back to 1969, with the BMW I ordered that never came in for my honeymoon, and upon my return, I was told it still had not arrived and if I didn't want to wait for it, SOMEONE ELSE WILL BUY IT!!. This is when I purchased my first Porsche, a 911T, which I waited for a week for them to find, in the color and with the equipment, I wanted.
Now, I was lucky enough to find the vehicle that I absolutely loved, minus the Bluetooth, I-pod and a few minor things that eventually I will spend an ungodly amount of money to add, that should have been included. But, that's life and it's too short to bitch too much!!

tyler 06-27-2006 09:26 PM

call me silly, but could it be due to the stability management and all that computer bs which makes them feel wheelspin will not be much of an issue?

plus how many folks buying 997's does the factory feel will be out tearing around slipping the rear wheels....remember the car buyer demographic that pays their bills, not how many enthusiasts are around

mooty 06-27-2006 09:48 PM

synergy racing prepares 997 for grand am, i would be surprised they run it without LSD.
if they have LSD, maybe you can buy one off them.
if they dont have LSD, then i figure if they can race an open diff, we mortals should be fine with open diff as well? just my two cents.

frayed 06-27-2006 10:55 PM

mooty, racing LSD's are pretty fooking aggressive and suck on the street. Racing diff lockups have to be calibrated to the suspension as well, as they tend to understeer like mad at turn-in.

Anyway, the 'standard' S in every country has an open diff, and I bet most of those sales are with an open diff. The issue isn't so much that the standard cars have open diffs, as it is Porsche boned the US once again with not offering the same performance option the ROW gets: -20mm. BASTARDS. I even took the time to write a short, compelling, well reasoned letter to Peter Scharzenburgerassenwager of PCNA to plead for the -20 option. No response.

Now we get screwed with a sunroof in the GT3. WTF is that?

GrantG 06-27-2006 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Moderato
I just don't understand it. In Europe you can get the 997 C2 or C4 with an LSD, they do equip the US GT3 with one, and it's an option for the TT here, but not the C2S ???. I can't imagine paying 80K - 90K for the C2S that I want and having to be unhappy with the fact that I'll have an open rear diff. :confused:

What about paying over $90k for the cheap enlarged Boxster wet-sump motor, instead of the proper dry-sump block used on the GT cars and Turbo (and every 911 from 1965 to 1998)? :icon501:

MrBonus 06-28-2006 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrantG
What about paying over $90k for the cheap enlarged Boxster wet-sump motor, instead of the proper dry-sump block used on the GT cars and Turbo (and every 911 from 1965 to 1998)? :icon501:

If it gets the job done without issue, is having a "true" dry sump anything more than something to use to impress your salty e-friends?

PbPedis 06-28-2006 12:06 AM

Yes, I can't believe we don't get LSD. Mine gets parked in the winter but I know a lot of people drive theirs in the snow and LSD is a must for that if you don't get the C4. Having said that, this car hooks up like an AWD because there is so much weight in the back. Nonetheless, it's ridiculous that we can't get LSD.

frayed 06-28-2006 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by MrBonus
If it gets the job done without issue, is having a "true" dry sump anything more than something to use to impress your salty e-friends?

I've owned both and have put both on track. Go figure, the motor in my 997S feels more visceral and none have blown up or burned much oil.

As on the interenets. . . things get overblown.

Except for the sunroof issue.

mooty 06-28-2006 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by frayed
mooty, racing LSD's are pretty fooking aggressive and suck on the street. Racing diff lockups have to be calibrated to the suspension as well, as they tend to understeer like mad at turn-in.

i know, try to drive it when pavement is wet. but synergy may have somethign less aggressive.