Greetings From Germany!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ben,

Followed your guidance but always says too big.

Dan

No Ring for me!
You are doing the smart thing. Last year a Rennlister who is a Porsche designer, (I've forgotten his name) recounted on the 996 board that more than one person taking his car from the factory to the Ring has been killed at the track.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Seal
Advanced

Dan, stunning car! Congratulations. Have fun on the autobahn and (even more fun) mountain road through the Alps. If possible, go to one of the world cup games. Even if you are not an expert on the game, the atmosphere is amazing. Enjoy and have a safe trip.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 PM
tkids
Pro

Dan, As you know I stopped by the ring after breaking in my C4S last month. I forgot to tell you that I did it 3x. First two in the rain, hard rain! It was fun, no one else to pass or be passed by, AWD working away. The last time it was dry, I was white knuckled terrified trying to get it off the track untouched! Maniacs passing me or was it me the maniac being passed?!?! I went back to the hotel bar and celebrated doing it and gettin' the car off untouched!

Have fun with the beautiful places!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I'm sure they will be taking it back (but I DO have a computer friend in Heidelberg...) ;-)

Dan
When my wife got her Cayenne S, I copied my Nav DVD (didn't want to wait for hers to arrive) and its still working. Just copy the DVD. It would be cool to have, even though you'll probably never be able to use it.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
dan

the ring doesnt interest you?
or just not in the area?

jeff

edit:ben's pic was 46kb, here it is reduced below 19.5

also another avatar

Thanks! Worked great!

Dan
Old 06-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan: I have for months followed your order and your considerations about options. It is really cool to see it come together so nicely. You did great and is is truly beautiful! Now, let us know how you keep it pristine in Europe with the narrow streets and tough parking.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
edit:ben's pic was 46kb, here it is reduced below 19.5
also another avatar
Good job, Jeff! (Now there's a real pro! )
Old 06-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

"Greetings from Germany" or "Greetings from a German"... same difference, right? Anyway, I wanted to say "Howdy, I'm back" and could not find an appropriate thread, so this one has to do for now.

I finally got back from taking my students to Europe and everything went well. We really only had one situation: two of my kids got into a car wreck with the Mercedes taxi they were in, but fortunately - though the car was totaled - all people involved were fine (thanks to wearing seat belts; another car ran a red light). By the way, my rental car was one of these Mercedes C class Kompressor models and I have to admit: not too bad. Quiet comfy and sufficiently fast. Along these lines, I really enjoyed driving on the Autobahn again. If you make it over there, the A1 really stinks (especially between Hamburg and Cologne), but A3, A6 and A7 are excellent for extended periods of high speed driving (particularly in the early mornings and late evenings).

If you want to see a LOT of Porsche cars, go to Hamburg. In the downtown area, you can see a Porsche every five minutes (or even more often). Dozens and dozens, really. I was shocked. Most of them were 996 and Boxsters. I did not see a single Cayman and only two Cayennes.

Now that the work is done, I'm going back to Germany in five days for the Soccer World Cup elimination rounds and a woman I met. From the past three days of reading through this forum I'm happy to know that most everybody is alive and kicking, and that we have a bunch of new faces. I'm glad to be back (at least temporarily).
Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

welcome back and Yes, we want pics!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

Hey Wolfgang, welcome back, buddy. We missed you!

I'm thinking what Jeff is thinking, a woman you met??? ... What happened to this cutey you left behind? ... Was it a case of out-of-sight-out-of-mind?
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2006, 04:32 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey Wolfgang, welcome back, buddy. We missed you!

I'm thinking what Jeff is thinking, a woman you met??? ... What happened to this cutey you left behind? ... Was it a case of out-of-sight-out-of-mind?
*Vancouver83LTD swoops in for the win*
Old 06-18-2006, 01:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Uhh....Brett, I don't get it. Help me out here buddy. Are you saying she's yours now???
Old 06-18-2006, 01:29 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Dan,

I don't blame you for not going to the Ring. Your still getting familiar with your new toy and IF your not familiar with the Ring your better off staying away from it. A friend of mine a few years ago did Euro delivery of his new E46 M3, took it to the ring, crashed it, and totaled it.

Have a safe trip and best of luck with your new baby!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Was it a case of out-of-sight-out-of-mind?
Thanks, guys! Good to be back! No, it was a case of bringing up the "M-word" two nights before I was leaving... after two-and-a-half weeks (!), keep in mind. Does not work well with me, especially not when formulated as a threat. So I actually went to Germany being single and ended up meeting the sister of one of my best friend's wife. Her argument was that if I drive a German car, I need a German girlfriend...

By the way, Dan, your convertible looks absolutely stunning! If somebody had told me the color combinations, I would not have been sure... but the pics are awesome! Congratulations!

Last edited by Soulteacher; 02-11-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:45 AM
OCBen
Banned

Now that we've hijacked the thread (hopefully you don't mind, Dan), tell us more about your new German ride, I mean girlfriend. She's pretty good looking!

If that's her argument, that since you drive a German car you should have a German g/f, here's one you can use on her:

Tell her that since your German car is in America, your German girlfriend should be too. ... Or is that what you're about to take care of when you get back there?

Quick Reply: Greetings From Germany!