Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings From Germany!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

Love that color combination, best of luck with it Dan!!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

WOW! Dan, that is a beautiful 997. I can't wait to see it at the Way Point Café.
Your color choice - that non-metallic, creamy Turquoise - is gorgeous! And, yes, the Sport Exhaust is a super option.
Enjoy your travels in Europe. You're a lucky guy! Actually, we all are.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great car Dan! You really made it your own and I'll bet it's getting plenty of attention in Germany. I believe it'll even stand out in Southern California - and that's really saying something!

MC
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, I see you have your Euro delivery keychain in use, good job! Keep the pics coming. Especially the alps and passes that I missed. The interior is great. Wish I was back over there.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:19 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,

You wrote "They take 55 minutes to pump out a 911 today." Is that possible? I'm not sure what that means but, from the time the body is welded together, painted, engine, suspension, sound deadening, electronics, headliner, upholstery, and everything else installed, it MUST be more than 55 minutes. My car hits checkpoint 8 on June 19. I was thinking some of the components (body, paintwork, etc.) must begin a couple days before Checkpoint 8. Could you clarify?

June 19 is a Monday. I'm a bit nervous if my car was built from scratch on a MONDAY!!!

MC
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Dro
Instructor

Dan, WoW! A simply beautiful car. Congrats!! I would love to meet up sometime once i take delivery of mine and you are back from europe so I can see that masterpiece in person.

-Sandro
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Dan, your car is incredible! Love the color combo. This has to be the trip of a lifetime.

Be safe, enjoy. You've got to be on top of the world!!!

-don
Old 06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!!!!

That is truly stunning. AWESOME!!!!!!!! Congratulations. That is really a beauty.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Very nice combo. Congratulation.
How's the World Cup crowd over there?
Have a nice and safe trip
Old 06-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by kw_1055
Very nice combo. Congratulation.
How's the World Cup crowd over there?
Have a nice and safe trip
I have learned that the BEST time to travel now in Europe is DURING the World Cup presentations! Everyone is either at the event, or watching it on TV! (Good for me).

H20NOO says:

You wrote "They take 55 minutes to pump out a 911 today." Is that possible? I'm not sure what that means but, from the time the body is welded together, painted, engine, suspension, sound deadening, electronics, headliner, upholstery, and everything else installed, it MUST be more than 55 minutes. My car hits checkpoint 8 on June 19. I was thinking some of the components (body, paintwork, etc.) must begin a couple days before Checkpoint 8. Could you clarify?

June 19 is a Monday. I'm a bit nervous if my car was built from scratch on a MONDAY!!!

They weren't very clear on TOTAL production time. I would imagine that the welding process may take the greater part of a day, and then perhaps the next day goes into paint. Then probably another time to cure and get clear-coated and polished (or whatever they do to give us such a remarkable finish). I believe the 55 minutes is from when they bolt the first subassembly onto the car. Many components arrive fully assembled with just the final bolting on done in Zuffenhausen. The car moves along, has a little parts caddy dragging along side with whatever particular things need to be on that car, and several little R2D2 robot-like things are bringing parts to and fro to support the line. I'm guessing they they have several times the number of 'support' personnel chasing parts and getting them to the line for every person actually ON the line. I have to advise everyone here to visit Zuffenhausen at least once. They truly have this business figured out. They keep inventory to an absolute minimum. Someone asked about the old test drives that all the cars used to get. The answer was that occasionally one gets a more thorough checkout,--but the vast majority don't. The Porsche reason? They don't NEED to. They are so sure of their processes and vendors. My car had 4 miles (6 kilometers) on it when I first got access to it.

CJ--thanks for the many tips from your month ahead delivery. It's too bad the weather didn't support you better. It's been in the 90's here!

Many thanks to you all for the encouragement over the last 9 months.

Dan
Old 06-14-2006, 05:21 PM
tkids
Pro

You bet Dan! Just wish I was back there chasing you down! My car had 4 miles at pick up as well. When I asked regarding the test drives, I was told that it is basically run on a treadmill as it goes through its checks. Dan make sure you get better pics of yourself in the passes than I did.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Dan I hate you - I'm jealous! The interior looks amazing, maybe leather on the door detailing would be nice but that's the only thing i can knock you on!
So was all the custom paint hassle worth it?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Dan, hate to say it bud, but your car in your avatar pic looks sick - no really, literally sick!

I see that your image reduction skills leave - shall we say - some room for improvement? I've taken the liberty of reducing your pic to a suitable avatar size (it meets the size dimensions for avatars here) using the simple freebie tool, MS Paint, that comes with Windows PCs.

If you like it, just copy & save it to your hard drive and then upload it as you did before.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey Dan, hate to say it bud, but your car in your avatar pic looks sick - no really, literally sick!

I see that your image reduction skills leave - shall we say - some room for improvement? I've taken the liberty of reducing your pic to a suitable avatar size (it meets the size dimensions for avatars here) using the simple freebie tool, MS Paint, that comes with Windows PCs.

If you like it, just copy & save it to your hard drive and then upload it as you did before.

Ben,

Followed your guidance but always says too big.

Dan

No Ring for me!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

dan

the ring doesnt interest you?
or just not in the area?

jeff

edit:ben's pic was 46kb, here it is reduced below 19.5

also another avatar

Last edited by icon; 06-15-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Greetings From Germany!