Sponsored by:

SmartTop

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
tmcquillen
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmartTop

I bought the smartTOP for my '06 997 cab s and it's awesome. Works perfectly as advertised and was a snap to install (took me 10 minutes). I am very happy with the purchase. Just thought I would share the info.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Good to hear. SmartTOP is going to be my second mod (after clear sides) when I get my C4 Cab.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you buy it? Linky?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM
gepoersch
Track Day

Must be www.mods4cars.com

my friend bought a 997 smarttop there too!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$649
Old 06-09-2006, 02:00 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it is expensive but it has a LOT more than just a remote open / close for the top. Check out the feature list:

https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/...ew&idlistpos=1

I realy would like to get one, but I've just spent way too much money on other stuff lately to buy this thing. However, I'm seriously considering it the next time I accidentially open my trunk at work because my stupid key rubbed against my keychain!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 AM
SantaMonicaP
Intermediate

How exactly do you install it???
Old 06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by SantaMonicaP
How exactly do you install it???
If you go to their Website you can download the instructions with pics. You just open the top 1/3 of the way so that you can disconent the cables that attach to the rear portion of the top (actually, this also gives you a much easier way to clean the inside of the rear window) which then gives you access to the electronics that are behind the carpet. You then plug in the SmartTop module into the stock module.

I was concerned, too, about installation, but it's really quite easy and the module gives you the ability to program about 7 different things vis a vis the top, windows, trunk and lights that really make life a lot more convenient. If you do a search for "SmartTop" on the 996 board you'll see a lot of uniformly positive responses from people who bought their 996 module.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:52 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

wow, sounds like a great product, love the "one-touch" up and down function
Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 PM
brickster
Intermediate

smart top works great and is pretty easy to install. just follow the directions slowly and carefully. also taught me how i can easily wash the inside of the back window in the convertible by unjplugging the small holders on each side. great product and worth the price.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

I have an 06' C2S CAB and I completely agree that the SmartTOP is great. I have disabled a few of the extras such as lock and unlock as I have the sports chron package the original set-up works better for me. I do not like to have to pull the handle twice to open the door. Otherwise, the ability to open and close the top remotely is great. The one touch open/close of th windows and the top is awesome. I hated having to use that rocker switch for the front and rear windows. It is also nice to hear the horn sounds twice to ensure the car is locked. The sound is not too loud or too soft, just right IMO. And the best feature of all, the ability to disable the SmartTOP features for dealer work and enable the SmartTOP feautures before you pull away from the dealer. This product and installation is everything it is billed as. This should be standard in all P-car cabs.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:10 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Just curious. Those of you that have installed SmartTOP, did you install the velcro strap?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

I did. You only have to loosen two screws just enough to snake the velcro strap behind the main unit. Once done, the install goes quickly. I did it just to be safe. Because of how the SmartTOP module plugs in at the bottom and hangs down, I was afraid that in sport mode driving on uneven surfaces, the harsh ride may jar it loose. Better to be safe than sorry and the extra procedure added a total of two minutes to an overall 15 mintue job. I read that you (TomfromCT) are awaiting your P-car at Danbury , I got mine there as well from Malachy last August. The guys there are all great. I am sure I will see you over there.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:39 AM
SantaMonicaP
Intermediate

I don’t know.. The electronics on the 997 is sooo complicated. and the issues with it are so complex. I have had some issues with the radio and CD player. I am just very hesitant about adding a new component to the mix. I also noticed that the manufacturer indicated that there is a way to easily turn it off disguising it so that the service dept. will not detect it. Again, why would you care if they detect it or not if it bulletproof. Anyway I am probably over thinking here. And still may get one,.. but just hesitating
Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 PM
tmcquillen
2nd Gear

I hear you on the electronics part. I got my 06 in August and I have become very good friends with my local Porsche dealers service shop (too good for my tastes). I will be taking mine in for the 2nd time for the PASM module failing. I am going to remove the smartTop just to be safe so they cannot blame that for the failure.

Quick Reply: SmartTop