CDT 6" carbon mid bass (doors)
CDT 4" carbon mid (doors)
CDT 1" soft dome tweets (dash)
CDT 4" carbon mid (rear fill)
(2) JL Audio 10w7 Subs
40 farad cap
Custom Gately Audio Plexiglass sub box custom for Porsche....Gatelyaudio.com

Will keep everyone posted....

Please, no Porsches are meant for driving only whines , there getting exhausting...not this time...If youre simply not into car audio, thats quite alright, just go rain elsewhere please.

I ordered my car without Nav or BOSE so also no "BOSE sounds good enough" posts either. That $7K is going into what I want it to sound and perform like, not Porsche.

I would love to hear from others that have considered stereo upgrades.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

The entire AVIC line is sweet. I'm interested to see the install.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:25 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmmm
My calculator says that Nav & Bose only equate to $3460 not 7k.
Bye bye Trip computer and Individual memory functions.
Will the new unit display info in the OBC?

Can car audio really overcome road noise, motor sound and wind noise as you are crusing around in a cab

Keep the seat reclined and the arm outstreched for that really cool look......

Old 06-06-2006, 03:55 AM
black/terra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyways, this guys like Mikie...

he hates everything.

I know it isnt cool to agree with a guy like me but I'm going to take a moment to explain a few things to him in case he seriously doesn't know...

Who would need a trip computer with Nav? Thats like needing a bowl of cereal after a grand slam breakfast.

I assume individual memory function is the addressbook? The addressbook that you have to manually plot as opposed to a useful addressbook thats aired in via bluetooth from my phone...that addressbook?

What info do I need displayed? Oh you mean like balance, fader, stationchanel, sat channel, tone, "Nav not working" "phone not working", etc...those mgs?

And for your $3600 (and by the way thats a $3600 upcharge over the stereo you are forced to buy! so don't forget I will still have my original head unit should I move on), did you add bluetooth? Sirius? IPOD? a 30G HD? handsfree touchpad dialing? what's option 666 nowadays just for kicks? OK, what if I dont even want to do touchpad and decide to do voice command? What would that cost me? Have you considered the differences at all between real nav and dealer nav? OK heres a few for your learning curve...My nav learns the way I drive and re tools its directional maps to my driving prefs. My nav utilizes navtraffic giving me the best route based on actual conditions. My nav has 30G HD filled with POI. The most extensive in the industry. My nav is interactive. I can say "two-twnety-four Adams Avenue" And it understands me in Engligh conversational, not robotic. I can say "stop going there and find me the closest Winchells donuts" I'll be ordering jellyfilled at the counter before you even finish typing into your screen....

OK heres another benefit for you..every time I put in a CD, I get asked whether I want to burn it to disk. With compresion, I can have 100 CD's in my head unit. How much is a OEM CD changer?

OK now, lets move onto DVD's in case I want to watch a movie or play a videogame or see whats behind me on my monitor....naw, lets not...I think Mikie getts that point pretty easily.

Quite franky my PCM is the most cumbersome, overbuttoned, useless POS imaginable. I am so GLAD to clear out that nonsense. Everybody gets in the car tries to dial off the dash phone "its not working..."

Now lastly, as for sound quality...I happen to listen to my stereo EVERY time I drive. Thats what I do, shut up and drive and put in a good CD. I understand you turn off your stereo and listen to every nuance of your motor....

Oh by the way, what happens when your phone rings and your stereo is on? Mine mutes automatically and picks up the call through the factory speaks...hat would that cost through Porsche. How much was that Cayenne retrofit nowadays for satellite? was it like 1500 for kit and 5 hours install only a dealer and two shops in NA can do? yea thats right. Now lets talk a while about IPOD intergration. the thread is seven pages alone. a four hundred dollar bundle of fiber optic and another trip to your dealer for 5 hours worth of work at shop rate.

Jonesie, thought you knew cabs were just about as quiet as coupes, run a search or read the brosure. Anyways that would be the point of the better system, lets try a system to sound perhaps ten times better, not twice as good. Put it into perspective.

Arm out the window? Only to tell chicks to pull over, specialy in LA.

Let me tell you what I'm currently working on...to get that Porsche logo starting screen to be my screensaver in the Avic. Also my bezel that says "Pioneer" will be painted over to look perfectly stock, so you cant even ise "theft" as a reason not to do it as a thief would have nothing to alert him that it's aftermarket unles he's on here.

Man, Jonesie, you were the one guy I wrote the disclaimer for.

Your now three for three with me... no chrome, no red, and now no stereo...If I ever decide to sell my car, I wont send you the email, and if you see my car at a meet, remember to walk away real fast after you remember its the car your supposed to hate.

Last edited by black/terra; 06-06-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:01 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd love to see pics of the install, I really want a Z1 in my car too but didn't know if it was posible to install it in place of the oem monitor. btw where are you located?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:31 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default nocal

Originally Posted by 997driver
i'd love to see pics of the install, I really want a Z1 in my car too but didn't know if it was posible to install it in place of the oem monitor. btw where are you located?
the shops in Hayward
Old 06-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One of the reasons Porsche went with the MOST system was to significantly alter the behavior or car radio thefts. When it's only going to work in a MOST-equipped car your fencing job gets a lot harder. Good luck with the gutting.

Dan
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default are you sure that was porsches goal?

I doubt they were looking out for our well being. i'd say it was to monopolize.

Wonder what percentage of people upgrade to BOSE sound...Lots of lute in Porsche coiffers.

Bottom line is it's not a bargain. The NAV and stereo are archaic , complex, and very expensive.

porsche is a wonderful car company, electronics are far from their forte.

People, people, people....I am going to come up with a new acronym...

JBPDIDMIB

Just Because Porsche Designed It Doesn't Mean Its Best.

Brand loyalty is great, and this is an amazing car but the brainwashing is almost cultlike. Be careful.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm very interested in seeing the pictures of the car afterwards.
That will be the deciding point for me.
What you are doing sounds awesome though.....
Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

I disagree with the monopoly aspect. Very few new Porsche owners would go to the extent that you have with a stereo upgrade, Black/Terra. The MOST bus system gives Porsche a simple, "drop-in" solution for their audio offerings... that way, the engineers can focus on the engine and suspension... <grin>

You are correct, MOST-bus systems are a total PITA when going the upgrade route - but it sounds like you've got that sussed out... please send pics, I'd love to see your finished install!

Good luck man,

-don
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default thanks guys

of course my fingers are crossed as well. I am the martyr as far as I know in this arena.

Porsche engineers can have the last laugh on me by building in a serious of CEL's and such to make this a total nightmare.

I even bought a code clearer in the anticipation of rough waters.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default thanks guys

of course my fingers are crossed as well. I am the martyr as far as I know in this arena.

Porsche engineers can have the last laugh on me by building in a serious of CEL's and such to make this a total nightmare.

I even bought a code clearer in the anticipation of rough waters ahead.

you know, I also own a 645 and as bad as the I-drive system is in it, I have never considered replacing the system. It's a bit different in that it is the heart of the cars controls. You would have to do a cleansweep of the signal and add amps.

With Porsche, it's completely dfferent. PCM is not the nervous system of the car. It's almost a bizzare afterthought.

The temp is off site. The performance buttons are off site, etc...

Porsche has much to do in this arena.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by black/terra
Oh by the way, what happens when your phone rings and your stereo is on? Mine mutes automatically and picks up the call through the factory speaks...hat would that cost through Porsche.
The phone option mutes the audio, and full control of the phone is via the OBD stalk (lower left) as well address book and control options appear in the OBD. (under tach).
Consensus by others that have the phone module is that it works quite well and sound quality is excellent in both directions.

May your install go very smoothly, the shop that is doing it has done P cars of MY05 and above previously, so you are not their guinea pig.
You have seen previous installations of this unit in cars like yours?...

My area of concern is if this unit may upset the CAN-BUS (Controler Area Network), throwing faults.

Is there a wire available to connect the CAR SPEED SIGNAL INPUT or will the optional ND-PG1 Add-On Speed Pulse Generator be required for your installation?

Good luck, keep us informed and post pics...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default Ernie at Sound Innovations

has done several porsches but all 996's

I am the first 997 to have ever graced his doors.

He's a good friend of mine so he is giving me a great install price in exchange for him to be able to figure out the required install in a MOST based system.

I tried to wait, and search to find another AM install on a 997 but couldnt get in touch with any shops that have done it. It's all hyperbole. "the guy who did it no longer is with us", "it's a secret" crap.

All Ernie needs to know is will Error msgs be thrown when removing the head unit and how to compat them with resisters of what resistance.

It's generally info shared on the net but not in this case. Th R/D is ridiculous from the standpoint of being the first to do it.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:35 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default CAN-BUS

Some CAN-BUS Facts:
Up to 29 control units can be exchanging up to 2 MB of data per minute via the CAN bus at any time.
Approx. 2500 different siginals have been defined to this end.

The use of network connections has enabled a reduction in weight of approx. 11 lbs even though functionality has been enhanced. (sounds like alot of copper wire eliminated).

Quick Reply: Custom stereo to go in tommorow