Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom stereo to go in tommorow

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is useless without pic. of the finsh product..Please post pic.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
black/terra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well I'll offer all you naysayers one huge tip that if you had thought for a moment..

...you should have been intelligent enough to figure out.

The head unit doesnt get eliminated, it simply gets moved. Therefore, no codes, no errors, no faults, no nothing.

Fellas, dont overanalyze and hypercritique everything all the time. This stuff is done daily and there are solutions out there.

This is what we did....

There is but one molex connector which carries the can-bus info. this connector has four wires connected to it. You splice the four wires, extend the connections long enough to stretch to the bonnet area where the head unit is hidden in the CD changer area (perfect fit by the way). You then turn the wheel lock far left then far right then drive for 60 secs to clear PCM and PASM failure faults.

It's that simple. We dont have to worry about warranty either since the loop is still in tact.

This should slow down my PM for now.

By the way, the speaker system I'd recommend is the CDT 7 series 3 way. If anyone wants a set I am a rep for them and I'll se what my cost is on them. These audiophile speaks are the best I've ever heard, Focal, Quart and Rainbow not withstanding. Anyone wants a set let me know through PM. They consists of a 7" low mid, a 4" upper mid and 1" soft domes. The fit is perfect with very little modding. you can even use mose existing screw hole locations if you can beleive that.

http://www.buycdt.com/braxial_es07_3.htm

I'm placing two JL audio amps mounted vertically along the back wall of the trunk tp preserve what space I can. As long as I can fit my tennis bag, I'll be fine.

Head Unit to go in tommorow.

Stay tuned.
Attached Images   

Last edited by black/terra; 06-08-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

black / terra,

As one of the first here to plunge into a MOST hack for Sirius Sat Radio, I am following your progress closely. Go check my posts if you want - I grew lots of scepticism and the like. Screw everyone else that gives you a hard time. I love my sat radio. Grow a thick skin if you must, but please don't hide under PM. I check this thread daily.

Sounds like you are like me and determined to crack the code so to speak. More power to you.

Adam
Old 06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
wow... i would LOVE to see this car in person. does your friend attend any BMW meets?
No, he's not really into car groups. He's a master techno-geek. The 4.8is is his wife's car. He's got a bone stock mid-90's 318 convertible. I'll see if I can get an update from him.

MC
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

when you say the "head unit doesnt get moved" does that mean you use the stock porsche controls, yet it controls an after-market radio? just curious
Old 06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
erikjwells
Intermediate

yes please keep updating... I was one of the suckers that bought the bose upgrade (and while its ok) it certainly doesn't meet my audiophile needs and not one of the professional shops will get anywhere near my p-car.... Atlanta is as close as I could find a shop to do anything audio to my car and thats 600 miles from here... so not happening... so would love to be able to glean facts from here and pay my local guy off the clock to do the work ala 1080iaddict up there

BTW -- the sirius is working great.... and every porsche owner in town wants one (but cant get it now) ... something to be said for being one of the first to try something..
Old 06-10-2006, 03:36 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
This thread is useless without pic. of the finsh product..Please post pic.
I agree, a pic is worth a thousand words. Today is Saturday and We all still haven't seen this awesome install yet.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default hey I dont need forum slogans

Ill post pics when there ready.

and when the systems finished.

Did I give you some deadline that you feel I missed?

Some of you are like whiney kids that didnt get the right flavor of ice cream.

Take what I give when I place it here...I dont owe you anything do I? Youre not getting shortchanged anything you get from me is a bonus, it's my damn car thats being martyred for everyone elses benefit...remember that.

I appologize to the rest of the guys out there who understand the constant badgering some guys just keep putting out there.

I'll post the pics when I get it all together, this is a lot of work and I hope you understand. Thats why I wanted to take it to PM and give the info to those that deserve it.

I swear some of these guys just make me want to walk away from this entire forum. Its never enough. Maybe I just dont get it, Im getting more and more irritated with all this.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

black/terra : thanks for all the info. This is all very interesting for those of us who might be considering doing the same thing some day to our 997.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default Jarryd, im in NOCAL

Originally Posted by Jared W.
black/terra : thanks for all the info. This is all very interesting for those of us who might be considering doing the same thing some day to our 997.
PM me in a few days Ill have pics for you, thanks for asking
Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by black/terra
Ill post pics when there ready.

and when the systems finished.

Did I give you some deadline that you feel I missed?

Some of you are like whiney kids that didnt get the right flavor of ice cream.

Take what I give when I place it here...I dont owe you anything do I? Youre not getting shortchanged anything you get from me is a bonus, it's my damn car thats being martyred for everyone elses benefit...remember that.

I appologize to the rest of the guys out there who understand the constant badgering some guys just keep putting out there.

I'll post the pics when I get it all together, this is a lot of work and I hope you understand. Thats why I wanted to take it to PM and give the info to those that deserve it.

I swear some of these guys just make me want to walk away from this entire forum. Its never enough. Maybe I just dont get it, Im getting more and more irritated with all this.

Sorry black/terra for asking you for some pics of an install you said was going in last Tuesday. I am sorry your installing shop is taking so long. I know if any shop had my car for over 5 days I'd be on their case. Best of luck with the install.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:55 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default well, how about...

the shop isnt open seven days a week. Only on weekdays.

My car went in Wednesday afternoon so thurs and fri were the only full days of work.

This aint easy stuff, many things have to be fabricated... bezels, adapters for speaks, grills for doors, let alone the difficulty or removing doors, removing head unit, removing rear panels...on and on...On top of that theres only one guy that Ernie will let touch my car so he's flying solo on it.

Be patient, I'm the one without my new car, I'm sure you'll be OK
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default pics tommorow

well everything in but the sub box....

Quick Reply: Custom stereo to go in tommorow