Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom stereo to go in tommorow

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you. I love driving Porsche's hard and listening to the engine roar....but at times I like to relax and enjoy a nice ride, especially in a cab. I put a full McIntosh system in my old '91 C2 cab, and loved it. That system sounded WAY better than the Bose upgrade in either my sister's 997 coupe or my Dad's Turbo S. Although for stock systems, the Bose is not bad. I, of course, won't be touching my GT3 when she gets here, but thats a different kind of car.....
Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

The Lexus SC430 I just sold for my P-Car had the Mark Levinson audio as standard. It was a very nice sounding system, and it's too bad Porsche does not put a better system in their cars.

I bought the upgraded Bose option, but I know it won't be anywhere as nice as the Levinson sound in the Lexus.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Let us know what the net weight increase was, as well.

Dan
Old 06-06-2006, 02:20 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

black/terra, you should of bought a customizable car, a la Mustang or Camaro.... You tore out the seats to replace with the Advance Auto Parts Seat special, then you replace all the molding, and now rip apart the center console of the car to put some aftermarket radio, crippling the MOST system and disabling the trip computer (also potentially altering the CAN-BUS system).

Then you criticize MJones, when he has many valid points.

Whats next, replace the engine with a Hybrid, and stick one of those "Special Edition" stickers on the back?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
CJC
Instructor

Bought the Bose upgrade and I have to admit it sounds better then any stock system Porsche
has ever offered. That being said if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. I would apply the $$ to
an aftermarket system like the one you have described. As good as the engine sounds(windows
down 4000 to 6000 RPM or so in 4th, 5th, & 6th on an open road.) Good kick *** music (that you can FEEL and HEAR at the same time is a great combination. Good luck with the install post some pics as soon as you can.
Craig
Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default MJONES and I have a long history of "ripping" each other.

Did you notice the arm out the window comment?

Porsches arent customizable huh?

Whats your address, I'll send you a subscription to excellence magazine and challenge you to count the number of mods that can be done to a Porsche. I'll hear back from you in about a year.

Of course he has valid points and so do I, thats why we are discussing them as you speak.

He needs no help in debate, this is about different styles of owners accomplishing their own sets of goals, good luck with yours.

AAP sells Recaro now?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:49 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I would say that Porsche is not the most customizable car, vis a vis many other makes. Especially on the bling items, which yours clearly are.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, the 'Bose upgrade' is only the amplifier and speakers.
In all cases, the headunits (CDR23 and/or PCM) are Becker products, not Bose.

Removing the MOST bus master (headunit) will have some impact on the vehicle (none of which BTW can be solved with a resistor) due to the CAN-MOST gateway and the IP, but nothing that will cripple a car.....little things like Alarm LED On/Off, etc.

Of course, such an installation will immediately void the PCNA warranty, but such is their current stance.

MOST (which evolved from D2B) was embraced by the majority of the German car OEM's (DC, PAG, VAG) as a way to modularize the infotainment system components and at the same time provide for sufficient upward bandwidth for encrypted video to be transferred over the MOST network (trust me, you don't want to get involved with the lawyers from the DTLA and MOST)....currently 22.5Mb/s on its way to 50Mb/s. The promised MOST node costs were never realized, but now they are all stuck with it. Each OEM added their own proprietary extentions to the protocol, so aftermarket adapters are difficult to design without the support (re: paying them $$). It is what it is and PAG is married to MOST thru 2012.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:35 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

A nice addition to your Pimp Mobile Please let us know how it sounds.
I agree the bose system isn't the greatest. The stock stereo in my E55 AMG blows it away. I can only imagine how yours will sound.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have made some fine choices for your car, but I learned long ago not to come to the Internet expecting everyone or even anyone to have my exact same taste/take on something.

BTW, I have a Silver Corvette w/ Torch Red interior. At shows I always get lots of favorable comments on the red interior.

Last edited by ohsixx; 06-06-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default The so called bling items were the easiest..

Originally Posted by rcg412
I would say that Porsche is not the most customizable car, vis a vis many other makes. Especially on the bling items, which yours clearly are.
the wheels were like 5 bolts with no CEL.

The seats were like a few bolts.

What are you really trying to say?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Best of luck with the install, just pray nothing happens over the next 50K miles as far as a factory warranty claim involving any electrical component -- dealers will reflexively blame aftmkt stuff, I would hate to assume the burden of disproving them. But I imagine that is the trade-off that you've baked into the equation. What if your virtual dipstick/throttle-by-wire/PASM goes freako on you?? j/k but you see my point. Will you need to upsize the battery?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default you know darm well I expect no one to

Originally Posted by ohsixx
I think you have made some fine choices for your car, but I learned long ago not to come to the Internet expecting everyone or even anyone to have my exact same taste/take on something.

BTW, I have a Silver Corvette w/ Torch Red interior. At shows I always get lots of favorable comments on the red interior.
ever agree with me.

In fact i put out a disclaimer telling those that dont to stay away long enough that some useful information cam be made on this post by people that are currently researching our options.

Still, I get the same posts that I expected.

I welcome the "watch for this and watch for thats", It's the " loud stereo - bling bling", pimpmobile commentary thats totally useless, heard all before and a waste of bandwidth.

I'll probably go look elsewhere for advice and or use my PM. Im getting tired of the so called porschephiles on here, its getting tiresome. I wanted to help those looking into the idea but this aint worth it.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey, don't go away. I think diversity is awesome. If we all had the same car this place would be wicked boring. And I am REALLY interested in your stereo/nav upgrade so please stay (and post pictures and facts when it's complete!)

Matt
Old 06-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Queram
Instructor

I am waiting for the outcome since I have a car with the base stereo and not at all satisfied with it. What I am after is basic though. Adding maybe an amp and changing the speakers in the car. There are 9 I believe and I can get something much better than BOSE with only speaker upgredes. ( I am hoping ) The PCM headunit is misery for me. I do not know anything about the output, etc..

good luck with the project and let us know about the progress you make.

Quick Reply: Custom stereo to go in tommorow