Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of x51

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 04:03 AM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Default My review of x51

Let me preface by saying that my only other ownership, driving experience was with a 03 C4S.

Know that I have the prerequsit 2000 miles on my engine I am finally pushing the RPM's higher and driving the car harder. I can definately feel the difference in torque through the power band espically from 4500 to 6000 RPM's (I still haven't pushed it to redline yet). The engine seems to be "loosening" up and feeling more powerful the more miles I put on it. The two words I would use to define the power delivery are "smooth" and "strong".

I know that x51 is debated, and feeling no both sides run strong. IMHO if you are considering x51 and the cost isn't an issue it's well worth the money. There is something very appealing to me about having a N/A engine that delivers 381 hp / 306 ft lbs.
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:39 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

After considering PSE - you are still paying like $14k for an extra 26hp and a little torque

I would have gotten it but price was a consideration to me. My car, after mods has msrp of over $105k - that said i spent a few thousand on flash, headers, intake hoping to get more power

$10k between base and S gives you 30hp, xenons, bigger brakes, suspension, psm etc...id love the x51 option - it just seems for $16k porsche should have given the car MORE power
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:50 AM
Tracym
Advanced

Agreed with robbonds. To me, for the money, it's almost like Porsche is charging you for something that for $100K+ should be included. The jump from Non-S to S and now to X-51 does not make sense financially.
Old 06-03-2006 | 12:14 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

And then there's the GT3 which at $106K must be considered now All in all, though, if I could have gone for it w/o guilt I would have. Enjoy.
Old 06-03-2006 | 12:49 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Is the X51 a great value? NO. Does it absolutely kick ***? YES.

I've driven them without the X51 and I've been driving my 2006 X51 rocket since October (5,700 miles now). The responsiveness of the X51 is incredible. Low end torque is substantially greater than in the regular C2S and frankly that makes for an even easier car to drive around town. The sound of the low end exhaust burble is downright V8-like. Yes, I'll say it, the X51 PSE sounds better than the non-X51 PSE. Look, you can talk value all you want but the fact of the matter is if I was buying for value I would have bought a Toyota or a Lexus and the X51 gives me a 100% factory tuned car. I've modded cars in the past, SAABs and AUDIs, and something was always not quite perfect about whatever the mod was. I've been down the rechipping route: NEVER AGAIN. It'll be pure factory performance for me from here on out. Life is too short. Cars should be perfect from the factory.

No the X51 isn't cheap but it rages like no other daily drivable NA car Porsche sells. That's its niche. And I'm its niche buyer.

Old 06-03-2006 | 12:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

I've never driven an X51 997S. However, my only issue with it is the new GT3, which the X51 approaches in price.
Old 06-03-2006 | 02:08 PM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by AeroSmith

I've driven them without the X51 and I've been driving my 2006 X51 rocket since October (5,700 miles now). The responsiveness of the X51 is incredible. Low end torque is substantially greater than in the regular C2S and frankly that makes for an even easier car to drive around town. The sound of the low end exhaust burble is downright V8-like. Yes, I'll say it, the X51 PSE sounds better than the non-X51 PSE. Look, you can talk value all you want but the fact of the matter is if I was buying for value I would have bought a Toyota or a Lexus and the X51 gives me a 100% factory tuned car. I've modded cars in the past, SAABs and AUDIs, and something was always not quite perfect about whatever the mod was. I've been down the rechipping route: NEVER AGAIN. It'll be pure factory performance for me from here on out. Life is too short. Cars should be perfect from the factory.

No the X51 isn't cheap but it rages like no other daily drivable NA car Porsche sells. That's its niche. And I'm its niche buyer.

I agree about the value chasing mentality of the X-51 shoppers. I believe that whatever you decide is 'your Porsche' get the good one, (Boxster, Cayman, 997). It's a performance car get as much as you can while your at it. If your planning on about 90K whats a little more to know have the best that car offer from the guys that designed and built it?

For me, Porsche has so many options and choices at this point in the model cycle that are so close together: 997, 997S, 997S w/X-51, GT-3, ect. that it allows one to buy the car for "what it is".

I would have the X-51 if it was available for the '04 (MY'05) 997S's. Also I think that I would not be so interested in the new GT-3 and TT if I had the X-51 as a daily driver.

Thats real savings - NOT flipping a 1.5 -2 yr. 997S to a more expensive new Porsche.
Old 06-03-2006 | 04:03 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AeroSmith

Yea - What he said!
Old 06-03-2006 | 04:32 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Agreed. The value for hp argument is getting to be assinine. I think certain things have intangible values that cannot be quantified. Like wanting to buy a porsche, ferrari, lambo or even a VW. Porsche has the highest profit margin in the industry. So how can anyone say they are getting value for money? The Z06 has more HP per $. Yet porsche sales is through the roof. X51 is obviously not an option for everyone. 26hp is important for those who want it and are willing to pay for it. Why say it's not good value when the entire value concept of Porsche isn't the point anyway? I mean an Audi RS4 has 420hp and AWD and seats for. Gotta be better value than the C4S. Sure you can say it's beats a ferrari which costs twice as much. It can't end because there's no real right or wrong answer. It's intangible.
Old 06-03-2006 | 05:48 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

The X-51 powerkit can apparently be retrofitted on a 997S. Technical Service Bulletins for this retrofit are available on renntech.org for registered(paying) members. Look for "Performance Increase Kit Installation Instructions(no. X-51)", dated 2/10/06.

The parts list and workshop actions look extensive, bring your checkbook.
Old 06-03-2006 | 09:35 PM
Tracym
Advanced

Here was my point, a fully optioned S, with x-51 is damm close to the price of a Turbo. The turbo is waaaay more car for the money than the S- with x-51.
Old 06-03-2006 | 11:07 PM
boolala
Race Car

Concur.
Old 06-03-2006 | 11:44 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Tracym
Here was my point, a fully optioned S, with x-51 is damm close to the price of a Turbo. The turbo is waaaay more car for the money than the S- with x-51.
Equally optioned the turbo is going to be a fair amount more money. You can't compare a fully optioned car to one that is not. Are you trying to say that when it comes to turbos Porsche is all of a sudden selling cars that one might consider a good value?

Personally, I wanted a sickeningly fast, normally aspirated, rear wheel drive Porsche that isn't a track car (GT3). That kind of rules out the turbo. AWD in Florida? Blech!
Old 06-04-2006 | 12:11 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Darn, I could have had a X51!

My C2S with all the sport "goodies" is damn close to the base of a Turbo.

Aero, PCCB's Sport Chrono, Adaptive Seats, Sport Steering Wheel, Sport Shifter, PSE, Bose, Nav, 6-CD, Satellite, Full Leather, etc.

After all that, I'm close to a Turbo base price and I didn't get a X51 as I could not see blowing $17K for 26HP increase. Sure, it's a sweet motor, but come on... $17K?? I which I could of, but it didn't seem logical. If it was less $, there's no doubt I'd have that in the car now too.

I'm very happy with my C2S with all the go-fast and stop-quickly goodies.

Deanski
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:57 AM
Tracym
Advanced

Pug,

I can get you a turbo at MSRP if you are interested. PM me. Sticker on the car I think is $130k with options, Arctic with two tone grey.

Quick Reply: My review of x51