Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maserati Coupe or 997?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree: it's a pig. Actually it's a Jello Pig. I drove both the Coupe and the Cab a couple of years ago (both with Cambiacorsa) and couldn't believe how bad they were. Great engines, shame about the handling and the body rigity. Stick with the Real Porker, not the Jello kind. If you like to cruise then get the Maser. If you like to drive get the 911.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:19 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

All this talk of Maser made me go out to test drive the Gran Sport today. I have to say that the Gran Sport is more sporty than the Coupe. Engine exhaust is exquisite, even more so than the coupe. The Cambiocorsa shifts faster but not smoother and the engine is still a torquey grunter.
I'd suggest you go out and try the Gran Sport, it really is an improvement over the Coupe.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:52 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riad
Maserati's existing 3200GT coupe uses a twin-turbo 3.2-liter V-8, but the Spyder--which will lead the brand's return to the American market it abandoned in 1991--carries a new, normally aspirated, 32-valve 4.2-liter V-8 that shares much of its design thinking with the 3.6-liter V-8 in Ferrari's 360 Modena and 360 Spider--not surprising, since Ferrari controls Maserati.

2003 Review of the Maserati Spyder from Road and Track.
That was then this is now, "The engine powering the Coupé is an awesome 4244 cc eight-cylinder, 90-degree “V”, aspirated engine."
Old 05-29-2006, 06:02 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

riad, the 3200 GT never made it to the US. The coupe/spyder were introduced with a 4.2 liter normally aspirated engine. It used the basic 360 block but it's not the same as it's bored out. It also used different heads with four valves per cylinder and not five like the 360. It was tuned for torque and there's plenty of it. Enough to get yourself in trouble if you forgot that you have the traction button off, don't ask how I know.

The Grandsport is what the coupe should have been. Lower, stiffer and with much more control than the coupe. I'd love to get one of those.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
All this talk of Maser made me go out to test drive the Gran Sport today. I have to say that the Gran Sport is more sporty than the Coupe. Engine exhaust is exquisite, even more so than the coupe. The Cambiocorsa shifts faster but not smoother and the engine is still a torquey grunter.
I'd suggest you go out and try the Gran Sport, it really is an improvement over the Coupe.
Eggplant,
I really appreciate your feedback on the Maserati! While I wish I could pony up for a new Grandsport, the used coupe is more in my price range. It will be used for short trips around town, and the occasional weekend away. After 10 years of driving a mini van, I want to get back to a stick shift. The cambiocorse trans is not what I want, nor practical in the hilly areas I will be driving it in.

I do value solid constuction. Squeeks and rattles bug me. How do you rate the maserati vs porshe in this regard?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Fred I suggest you look at Gran Sport used. I think you'll find the price isn't that far off.
As for construction, since you're buying used, I suggest you drive it like you stole it to see if there are any issues or get one that's still under warranty to be sure. I had not problems with fit and finish but every car is different. Plus that V8 song drowns out everything.
I think you'll find the F1 cambiocorsa to be the "only" transmission. My sales told me he never sold a manual. And you'll be very surprised how well it performs when driving "con gusto". I won't buy another manual ever again. The left foot is for braking.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Former Maserati Coupe owner and if you want a stick stay with the Porsche. Grandsport does not come is stick version. I am a new member here (just bought a 997S Cab a few weeks ago), but have been on Ferrarichat.com for sometime. They have section on Maserati there and many owners go there to chat. Good luck
Old 05-30-2006, 01:53 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Dry sump in the 911 as well.

Porschespeak= Integrated Drysump

Tru drysump Porsches are GT3 & Turbo

That said, the beauty of the Porsche is that you can drive it every day, take it to the track and drive the **** out of it, and then drive it to dinner and not think twice about doing so.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Zinhead
Intermediate

I recently went through this process, albiet comparing the Maserati with a used 996. I ended up getting a used 02 Maser CambioCorsa Coupe with a year of warrenty left.

The advantages of the Maserati were:

Engine - The Ferrari sourced 390hp V-8 is an absolute jewel. Additionally, no worries about RMS leaks or blown engines due to intermediate shaft failure.

Interior - I am used to spartan interiors in sports cars, but the 996 interior came off as being really cheap in a car of this price range. I never got that feeling with the air cooled 911's and the 997 is a big improvement. On the other hand, the Maser interior is simply gorgeous. The Maser rear seats are also significantly larger with much more leg room. With a couple of kids, this was important.

Cost - An 02 Maser was less expensive than a 02/03 996 with similar miles.

The advantages of the Porsche:

Handling - In stock form, the Porsche handles better, feeling like a much smaller, lighter car than it actually is. On the other hand, the Maser always reminds you of the heft you are carrying around. The Maser is equipped with the Skyhook adjustable suspension, and I had the car lowered and realigned after purchase. This really helps the handling significantly. While it is still a big car, it certainly does not feel clumsy like some others have mentioned. At a recent track day, I was running with C-5 Vettes and Elises in a novice class, and by the end of the day I had no problem keeping up. However, neither vehicle is ideal in my eyes as a track car.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:32 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default Maser is coming out with a Quattroporte Coupe

Its stunning....Looks a lot like the AMV8

The corsica is a hideous car.

In the price range up to 105K, Id think very used 360, wait a year and get a used AMV8, get a vette and charge it, or get a 997S loaded.

I cant really think of anything else out there that moves me.

What do you think used GT will be able to be had in a year? Never drove one but this may be your "Daily drivable F-car" I saw one go for AS LOW AS $159k ON EBAY.
Attached Images  

Last edited by black/terra; 06-04-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I heard that the GT40s are assembled in Australia. What's with that?

Dan
Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by black/terra
Its stunning....Looks a lot like the AMV8

The corsica is a hideous car.
This is a corsica, and I agree, it is no match looks wise for a 911

http://63.241.234.11/images/Photo/19...SY254997_2.JPG
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Yes the Maser has a few upgrades available. My uncle who inherited my old coupe has been upgraded with ECU, full exhaust and sport cat and air filter with full suspension mod just this week. Drives like a gransport on a redbull rush. Nicer feedback and chasis control and a little bit more 00mph. And that Tubi on the V8 is so exhilarating on its own. Much better aural and dynamic performance than my inlaws AMV8.
Originally Posted by Zinhead
I recently went through this process, albiet comparing the Maserati with a used 996. I ended up getting a used 02 Maser CambioCorsa Coupe with a year of warrenty left.

The advantages of the Maserati were:

Engine - The Ferrari sourced 390hp V-8 is an absolute jewel. Additionally, no worries about RMS leaks or blown engines due to intermediate shaft failure.

Interior - I am used to spartan interiors in sports cars, but the 996 interior came off as being really cheap in a car of this price range. I never got that feeling with the air cooled 911's and the 997 is a big improvement. On the other hand, the Maser interior is simply gorgeous. The Maser rear seats are also significantly larger with much more leg room. With a couple of kids, this was important.

Cost - An 02 Maser was less expensive than a 02/03 996 with similar miles.

The advantages of the Porsche:

Handling - In stock form, the Porsche handles better, feeling like a much smaller, lighter car than it actually is. On the other hand, the Maser always reminds you of the heft you are carrying around. The Maser is equipped with the Skyhook adjustable suspension, and I had the car lowered and realigned after purchase. This really helps the handling significantly. While it is still a big car, it certainly does not feel clumsy like some others have mentioned. At a recent track day, I was running with C-5 Vettes and Elises in a novice class, and by the end of the day I had no problem keeping up. However, neither vehicle is ideal in my eyes as a track car.

Quick Reply: Maserati Coupe or 997?