Sponsored by:

Maserati Coupe or 997?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Maserati Coupe or 997?

I am toying with the idea of a used 997 coupe, or a used Maserati coupe.
In either case, I would be going with the manual trans.
Other than it is way easier to find a Porsche, what else would it have in it's favor.
Anyone here have experince with both cars?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:28 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

There are some articles on the Maserati that you should probably get your hands on. First of all they've made some significant improvements on the car this year (over last couple of years) that includes better trani and clutch system. Also, there was issues about suspension stiffness and body roll and poor car communication with the driver. Apparently, they grabbed some professional and non-professional drivers and received some pretty heavy criticism on the previous models and did some incredible tweeking on the newer model. If I were you, I'd either get a new model Masi or used 997. Don't consider the used models as their resell is not going to be very good. They are strictly controlling volume to keep prices up (old supply demand rule at work on your wallet). My thoughts...
Old 05-27-2006, 03:29 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Which Maserati coupe are you thinking about - I am assuming GranSport??

Here's what I know. (I recently sold a 360 Spider to buy a 997S Coupe).
- I think the vast majority of the Maseratis are F1
- They take an unbelievable depreciation hit right of the line (but P-car is pretty bad too). I'd buy used either way.
- I know these guys, and I'm sure they would treat you well (http://www.sportauto.cc/inventory_ot...5red/index.htm)
- I've owned two Ferraris (but no Maseratis) and the ownership experience is very different than Porsche (have had four)
- I would only consider the Maserati if I lived in a city that has an authorized dealer. Little things happen that really **** ya off that only a dealer can get right
- Not sure if it would interest you, but given the choices you are talking about - 360 Modenas have been consistently falling in price over the last six months. Although somewhat rare - I have seen some go for $105K or so. This is far more car than either - but again not bullet proof like a 997
- I have no idea what you have owned in the past, but a Maserati or a Ferrari is a true commitment. Porsche goes to get milk, to work, airport, etc - not the case on the others

Net/net - If you are looking for a toy the Ferrari will be awesome (I assume the Maserati will be close). If daily driving (and putting real miles on the car) are important Porsche all the way. IMHO the Porsche is every bit the sports car and easier to get performance from.

Hope that helps. Glad to provide more if you want. Again, don't know a ton about Maserati, but know the Ferrari thing well. FYI - www.ferrarichat.com has quite a few Maserati owners that post regularly.

Tim
Old 05-27-2006, 03:40 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, the Maserati is the truer sports car these days. The 911 has become too much of a GT.

Plus, you get a Ferrari V8, dry sump lubrication and the benefit of staggering depreciation paid by somebody else. It's no contest!
Old 05-27-2006, 03:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Dry sump in the 911 as well.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Fred2
Racer

Right now I have a 328 as a toy, and I prefer it to a 360, as you do not need to pull the engine every few years.
I like the GT coupe with the manual gear box.
From 2002 'till now, they all seem to be basically the same car.
We are about 30 miles from either one of two dealerships, so service is not an issue.
While the new wheels would bea a "daily driver" this would only be about 5000 miles per year.

The Cambiocorse trans looks like it will be a nightmare once the cars are a few years old. Too much of computers talking to hydraulic cylinders, solenoids, etc to go wrong.
A nice, simple stick shift is the way to go.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:47 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Right on. FYI - You don't need to pull the engine on the 360 either. They fixed that after all the issues on the 355. Belts are done from the top now.

On the Maserati - I think you are right. I looked at a Spyder a while back and Boardwalk in Dallas said stay away from '01, but newer is fine. I'm with you on the stick vs. F1 thing too. My 360 was 6-Speed. Sounds like the Maserati might be the fit for you. I have been interested in them for a while, but have resisted the temptation to drive one - too often test drive = buy for me. I have no willpower.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Dry sump in the 911 as well.
Not really.

One more thing in the Maserati's favor...

It comes with a real dipstick! The 997 will deprive you of the simple pleasure of checking the oil before a nice back country drive!
Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Man. I have driven the Masi and it is a nice car, but they really are different cars. It just depends what you like in a sports car. Personally, I'd rather have the 360 than the Masi. Some good points were made regarding the 360 here. Ferrari has gotten the message; people love the cars but hate pulling the engine for the damn belts--it's stupid. F is turning out more modern cars requiring less maintenance (serious maintenance, that is). If they want a bigger footprint in the US market, they must alter the maintenance on these cars. They spent some big dollars about 10 years ago quering their customer base as to why they buy or will not buy again from Ferrari. That information was instrumental in the designs you see today. The good news is that the Ferrari's will continue to be less of a maintenance nightmare going forward. They plan on increasing production and market share in the US. A business school buddy of mine went to work for them. They have a lot of new blood there and plan on becoming more of a market presence and overcoming the hurdles (maintenance issues) is key to their strategy.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Fred2
Racer

How would you contrast the 997 with the maserati coupe?
How are they similar?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:55 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Sadly, the Maserati is the truer sports car these days. The 911 has become too much of a GT.

Plus, you get a Ferrari V8, dry sump lubrication and the benefit of staggering depreciation paid by somebody else. It's no contest!
You've got to be kidding me. The Maserati is a much larger car more geared towards comfort and ease of use the all-out performance.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:55 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I fit better in the Masi, physically. Drive; the Porsche is louder, the Masi sounds better, much better. I own a 997 so I hate to admit these things. I prefer the way the 997 handles. I can own either or both (wife would probably kill me, though since I have 5 cars now). There was a recent article where they test drove these cars side-by-side and the pros gave their opinions and the 997 won the shootout. I just like the build out on the Masi, it is really nice and tight and the sound is f**ing sweet. If you haven't driven a Porsche for any time it may seem a little out of control in the corners with your foot in it because of its weight distribution, but good drivers can exploit this characteristic and turn it into an incredible advantage (as was done in the article by the pros). From an amatuers perspective, the Masi is easier to handle, no doubt. Porsche has come a long way in build-out, but Masi edges them out in this category. Don't get me wrong, I love my Porsche, but you have to understand the car's and their different personalities how they lend themselves to different driving styles. If you come close to using 70% of a Porsche's capability, you will never get out of the car. Few ever push the car to its unbelieveable driving limits (not speed, capability) and I am one who has not. But knowing you have a screaming cat from hell with its tail on fire brings a smile to my face as I drive the speed limit to get some groceries.

Advice: drive them both side-by-side. Your decision will be clear. Don't forget about the service, though. As smartly mentioned earlier, you better live close to a dealer, a dealer you like to see. These cars are NOT Porsches.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Maserati is a pig... drove my friends new Spyder, wow just terrible... that 360 Modena engine does nothing for that car. It's boring to look at, and just as boring to drive.

You really need to drive both, the Maserati is not in the same league as the 997, period.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:59 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I agree. Have you driven it? It drives like a much small car than it appears to be. It's quick, nible, strong through corners with your foot in it and, as you said, more poshy on the inside. It's not a bad car. I'm a P nut, but you would be impressed if you drove it, trust me.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan

This is a joke right?

Quick Reply: Maserati Coupe or 997?