New P-Car's 1st Bath...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile New P-Car's 1st Bath...

She's 2 weeks young and after 500 miles had to give her a bath. As suggested by several people I've added the clear side markers. They really make a difference.

Trying to deside on the clear bra. Leaning towards having one (3M type) installed.

The comments and suggestions on this forum have been exceptional in helping me aquire my 1st P-Car. Many Thanks.
Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2006, 02:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Great looking car. Love the color. Clear bra... absolutely. From 10 ft or more, you can barely see it, and it will make a difference protecting your car. I also put the X-pel protectors on the headlights and turn indicators. The clear bra is not a do-it-yourself project unless you are very good with your hands and patient. The headlight protectors on the other hand are not hard at all to do.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Great looking car. Love the color. Clear bra... absolutely. From 10 ft or more, you can barely see it, and it will make a difference protecting your car. I also put the X-pel protectors on the headlights and turn indicators. The clear bra is not a do-it-yourself project unless you are very good with your hands and patient. The headlight protectors on the other hand are not hard at all to do.
Appriciate the advice/suggestion. Where did you get the X-pel protectors for the headlights and turn indicators?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:04 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Great wheels, man. Very happy for you. You must do the clear bra since it provides so much protection for the soft paint these cars have. I have 12k on mine and not a single chip on the car, except where it's not covered! As for clear headlight and lens protection, check out Griot's Garage. They stock the custom cut pieces that fit perfectly, no cutting (trust me, you don't want to cut these pieces to put on because you just can't get them straight). You will need a sprayer bottle with 25% Isopropyl alchohol and 75% water. Soak the lens/headlight thorougly then remove the protection film from the back and spray it thoroughly too. THen place it on the lens/headlight and squeegie the air bubles out with a credit card. If it isn't on just right, pull it off and start over (be sure and respray both the lens and the film). I've done the headlights and the piece just in front of the rear wheel as it was yellowing. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2006, 04:26 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clear bra is an effective product to protect the front of the car. Have it done professionally, it is not a do it yourself job. A conventional, computer cut job will include: front of fenders, front of hood, headlights, mirrors and complete front bumper. Any surface coverage is possible, up to 100 percent. Front coverage costs on the order of $800 to $1000. Roadway debris damage is inevitable.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Had it done when the car was 1 week old. Did front, lights, fogs, mirrors and gas lid. About $1000.
No regrets, wise investment!!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 05:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
Appriciate the advice/suggestion. Where did you get the X-pel protectors for the headlights and turn indicators?
These guys had the best deal I could find. It took just a little patience and elbow grease to put the things on. I broke three headlight lenses in four years on my Saab, so I figured this was money well spent.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...d=332&addcar=1
Old 05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm curious if you guys have an overabundance of road debris where you live. I've had 10 cars and driven well over a half milion miles, yet none of my cars have ever had a front clear bra and none have ever left with more than a chip or two in the hood or nose.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
She's 2 weeks young and after 500 miles had to give her a bath. As suggested by several people I've added the clear side markers. They really make a difference.

Trying to deside on the clear bra. Leaning towards having one (3M type) installed.

The comments and suggestions on this forum have been exceptional in helping me aquire my 1st P-Car. Many Thanks.
If you have bi-xenon headlamps, I believe the recommendation is to NOT cover due to heat.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's a beauty tedder!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I'm curious if you guys have an overabundance of road debris where you live. I've had 10 cars and driven well over a half milion miles, yet none of my cars have ever had a front clear bra and none have ever left with more than a chip or two in the hood or nose.
It depends on road conditions - as well if you travel a lot you're likely to pick some up.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Paint Film

Go with the paint film!

I have it all over the entire front end and door cups along with rear and front dog legs.

Armorglove did the work as they are one of the most respected clear film applicators in the area and deal with high-end cars mostly. I had it previously on my Lexus SC430. Worth every penny.

Only have to be careful waxing/sealing your paint. Try to keep any wax/sealant away from the seams as it can be difficult to remove and will show the ends of the film.

A good film installer will also wrap the film under the hood so it does not look like a big decal. Most installers will also provide you with a cleaner and some warranty their products for life.

It's your car, do what you want. But for myself, it was the first thing that went on right after the K-40 install prior to delivery. Armorglove went to the dealership and did the install there.

You can see more on there website Armorglove.com.

Detail Dynamics also does some very top noych film installs as well!!

Deanski
Old 05-27-2006, 09:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr

Compared to what? I don't know about an overabundance, but I've certainly had my share of crap hit my cars. I live in Houston, and commute 38 miles each day to the Woodlands for work. It's all highway driving, and it seems like there is always a truck spewing gravel & crap behind it. As I mentioned, I went through three fog light lenses on my Saab 9-5 in a four year period. Also dinged one windshield so badly I had to replace it during the same time frame. I've never had problems with chips on the hood of my car, but I've never owned a 997 before. Seems to me like the hood is significantly lower than most vehicles on the road, hence the bra.

As far as the comment about Xenon's & lens protectors, I'd not heard that, and I suppose it could be a problem. I'll risk the heat issue over the chance of paying to replace a headlight unit that has been broken by a rock.

jmho

Mike
Old 05-27-2006, 10:43 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm with you mike. I can't count how many times crap has hit my car. Maybe where they clean the streets with street cleaners, but otherwise the road is chok full crap waiting to nail your car after someone else runs it over.

The Xenons, don't even think twice about it. I have them on all my cars with Xenons including three Porsches with NO PROBLEM. The lamps operates high temperature, but the clarity of the film allows for the light (heating element) to pass through. I have proof for over five years and no problems. Unless you want to risk busting a light. My neighbor has a 360 he had taken to work one day, he generally doesn't take his baby out of the garage, and a pick-up full of crap a couple cars up dropped some bolts and nuts and one cracked his light. It was a star, but it had pierced the shell of the plastic assembly and had to be replaced. $2200.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

The X-Pel light protectors are a good idea. I'll plan on installing them too.

On another topic, I've read and seen much info on door protectors which mount on a wall (using web links posted by others in this forum). I have a support pole in my garage and haven't been able to find a wrap to cover it. Any suggestions on where to look?

Quick Reply: New P-Car's 1st Bath...