Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything effective against "speeding" cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 AM
OldManIn911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything effective against "speeding" cameras?

Does anyone have any experience with any product (sprays? covers?) that is effective against the automatic "speeding" cameras -- you know, the kind that take pictures of your license plate, then mail you the bill. Some, locally, are permanently mounted, others mobile and moved from area to area? Yes, yes.... I know.....don't speed. Let's just say this is scientific interest. I've seen ads for license plate sprays and covers.....but does anything really work?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManIn911
Does anyone have any experience with any product (sprays? covers?) that is effective against the automatic "speeding" cameras -- you know, the kind that take pictures of your license plate, then mail you the bill. Some, locally, are permanently mounted, others mobile and moved from area to area? Yes, yes.... I know.....don't speed. Let's just say this is scientific interest. I've seen ads for license plate sprays and covers.....but does anything really work?
Electronic warfare countermeaures/jamming pod or a small nuclear EMP would do the trick, but there are too many permits required.

There have been discussed the aerosol spray on polarized diffuser sprays to put over a license plate cover (EZ-Pass/Fast Pass toll camera use primarily), but I don't know how well they would work from an off angle photo speeding camera.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Most of the photo radar spots here are based on in-ground sensors, so no radar jammer etc will save you (except for the mobile ones, but I think they also use mobile ground sensors). The only hope is getting a liscence plate difuser that does not allow you to see the license plate when viewing from an angle greater than20-30 degrees. the problem is they are 'illegal' from some points of view because theoretically the liscence plate is not in clear view (it is, from straight on).

The only side note is that for the ticket to be 'legal' you have to be served from an officer of the court. that means when you get the ticket throw it in the garbage and deny ever getting it. Also, do not accept certified letters, and make sure everyone at home does not sign a receipt from a police officer in case they show up at home (they will usually come during business hours). If they do not serve you in ~6 months (200 days here in AZ) then thats it, your 'free'.

The other 'trick' is to register your car in your spouses name and vice versa. The ticket will come to the 'owner' of the car, and therefore the picture will not match the owner. The responsibility to find the 'correct' person is on them, and you do not have to tell them who was driving the car if they ask. They should have your drivers liscence picture on computer, so it is an easy denial.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:45 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those sprays would work during the day as it relies on the flash to overexpose the plate. Would a good radar detector do the job? Also, I think they have to get a head shot of the driver. I am thinking of buying a amber or dark brown plexiglass that you can clip on the visor to avoid any red light or speeding cameras. Those are sold to reduce glare but should work against such things. The plate cover is good but easy to spot by a cop. There are some people that don't put the plate on their cars too.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:56 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I know it sounds naive but what about the Bill of Rights?

Jack
Old 05-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Deven's devious owner/driver shuffle (post #3)...so they cannot establish beyond a reas. doubt who was driving.
Ironically, this was in yesterday's paper:

Page 3 of 3
Does that PhotoBlocker spray really work?

It didn't for one reader. A local psychologist, who was too embarrassed to let me print his name, sprayed five coats on his license plate, then zipped through the intersection at East 40th and Prospect. Click. $100.

A week after he paid the bill, the traffic camera caught him racing through the same intersection. Click. $100.

He admits he deserved the first ticket. He's appealing the second one.

He said PhotoBlocker said this has never happened before.

"I want them to cover at least one ticket," the speeder said.

How about just slowing down?
Old 05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Have you tried RPG's?

John J
SA Texas
Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I developed a countermeasure to this system that is fairly simple. The majority of these cameras require a flash to catch the plate information (obviously critical at night) but with a strobe unit located near the plate and a peanut slave the onboard flash can immediately fire ITS strobe when the state equipment fires and it will create a blind spot as the camera won't be able to handle such a bright return.

dan
Old 05-21-2006, 12:25 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Drive slower?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:34 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I developed a countermeasure to this system that is fairly simple. The majority of these cameras require a flash to catch the plate information (obviously critical at night) but with a strobe unit located near the plate and a peanut slave the onboard flash can immediately fire ITS strobe when the state equipment fires and it will create a blind spot as the camera won't be able to handle such a bright return.

dan
Bravo man! I like that. Another approach would be to aim the onboard strobe at you rplate. Now if the copcam reads off the film plane this wont work. But I suspect they use a rather simple fixed aperture/speed setting and you'll overexpose the hell out of the film..

BTW, if they are sophisticated enough to read off their film plane, your approach wont work either. Well, maybe if it reads your stobe it will underexpose the plate. But it is much easier to fix underexposure than overexposure.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Cut a piece of laptop security screen filter the size of the license plate and install it under the plate rim, the plate won't be visible from an angle.

http://www.nextag.com/SONY-VGP-FL8-s...RE-PRICES-html
Old 05-21-2006, 03:50 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Azurro_California_911
Cut a piece of laptop security screen filter the size of the license plate and install it under the plate rim, the plate won't be visible from an angle.

http://www.nextag.com/SONY-VGP-FL8-s...RE-PRICES-html

I like this idea except CA and most cities do not allow cover over plates. This will easily get a cop's attention.

Do you need front plate to get caught? Isn't the front plate required to get you on camera by law? If so, just pull of the camera.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 224 Posts

I use a product called "Pig Away". It responds with a bright strobe light on detection of the camera taking my picture within 1/10,000th of a second hence blinding (temporarily) the camera.

For the rear of my car I use a product called "Greased Pig" which initiates an oil slick via the RMS cutoff valve (programmed into my Sport button).
Old 05-21-2006, 12:40 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djantlive
I like this idea except CA and most cities do not allow cover over plates. This will easily get a cop's attention.

Do you need front plate to get caught? Isn't the front plate required to get you on camera by law? If so, just pull of the camera.
Yah, same here in Illinois. Any front plate cover that's not 100% clear will get you a ticket... that's assuming that you are wearing a front plate in the first place... <g> I have a clear cover on the BMW and have never gotten hassled.

So, maybe a nice clear front plate "safe" like the pieces offered by MacNeil (the WeatherTech ClearCover) with a good "matting" spray like Photobuster sprayed -inside- the clear acrylic cover...

Maybe we need to do some testing? As soon as I'm done staining the deck, maybe...

-don
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

How about just taking off the front license plate? I don't know if it is legal, but I've driven for years in Texas without one, and have never been stopped.

Quick Reply: Anything effective against "speeding" cameras?