Sponsored by:

Sports Chrono = Louder Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 AM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Chrono = Louder Exhaust?

I've read through the posts and I know that there is no mention of a louder exhaust noise with the Sports Chrono option (w/Sports button active). BUT, I could swear that my exhaust makes more noise when I'm in Sport mode.

Is it just me, I am right, or is it because the remapped throddle is responding more quickly?

Either way I like the sound!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have PSE, it turns the Sports Exhaust on when you are in Sports mode and it is not turned on when Sports mode is off. However, when the cable is vaccum hooked up you only get about 50% of the PSE sound even when you are in Sports mode. It is insanely good when the cable is gone, but it gets you in trouble. See https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/274074-rob-riad-this-pic-s-for-you.html
Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ronmart
However, when the cable is vaccum hooked up you only get about 50% of the PSE sound even when you are in Sports mode. It is insanely good when the cable is gone, but it gets you in trouble.
What? Only 50% when it's active via Sport? Never heard that one.

Are you saying that if I disconneced the "burnt orange" plug for the PSE it gets "louder"? Or is the vacuum hose? I know both will enable the PSE, but I'm not clear as to 50% statement.

Thanks!

Deanski
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

it will get louder if you disconnect the orange plug - according to suncoast the proper way is not to disconnect the orange plug - instead disconnect the black tubing to the right and a little lower of the ornage plug - insert a new valve flap (white on 1 said, black on the other) - presto - pse on all the time and very loud
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robbonds
instead disconnect the black tubing to the right and a little lower of the ornage plug - insert a new valve flap (white on 1 said, black on the other) - presto - pse on all the time and very loud
Insert "new valve flap". What is that? So, instead of the cable, disconnect the hose. Obviously one must plug both ends to avoid a vacuum leak. Just don't get what you mean by a "valve flap".

Deanski
Old 05-18-2006, 10:07 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

im not technical - they showed me how to disconnect the hose and reinsert this peice that has a hose on either end - in the middle is circular thing thats white on 1 side and black on the other - i dont know what the real term for it is.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
What? Only 50% when it's active via Sport? Never heard that one.

Are you saying that if I disconneced the "burnt orange" plug for the PSE it gets "louder"? Or is the vacuum hose? I know both will enable the PSE, but I'm not clear as to 50% statement.

Thanks!

Deanski
Yes, it gets much louder for the full range when the cable is unplugged. With the cable plugged in and PSE turned ON the PSE cuts off around 4000 RPM's and below 4000 the valve is variable. If you haven't unplugged the cable then you haven't experienced what PSE is really capable of.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
Insert "new valve flap". What is that? So, instead of the cable, disconnect the hose. Obviously one must plug both ends to avoid a vacuum leak. Just don't get what you mean by a "valve flap".

Deanski
It is actually a power cable for the vaccum that opens and closes the flap inside which opens and closes a chamber in the muffler that helps to make the added sound effects which is output through the inner tailpipes. There's a great detailed thread on it on another web site which is cross referenced in the 997 forum about a month or two ago, but I don't have the link handy.

I just updated this post to include before and after pics. If you have X51 then the connector isn't orange, but rather a grey or black color from what I've seen. it is also harder to see because it hidden behind the left air intake down kinda low. If you don't have X51 then it is as plain as day on the right hand side of the engine compartment.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ronmart; 05-18-2006 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

suncoast says dont do that - they showed me the black hose to the right and a little lower to use instead
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
flash1034
Pro

Default PSE

Please post more info on this vacuum modification instead of disconnecting the electrical connector. I have a PSE on order and want it LOUD all the time too.

Thanks,

Flash
Old 05-18-2006, 01:09 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply. Here's the thing: I bought my car a few weeks ago as a CPO (it's on '05 S Cab). If I had the PSE then would I definitely have the different tailpipes? How else could I tell if PSE was installed on my car and hooked up to the Sport button?

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy
Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

press the button - if it gets noticeably louder you have pse hooked to the button...do you have dual chrome tips? if so you have pse
Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robbonds
suncoast says dont do that - they showed me the black hose to the right and a little lower to use instead
Did they say why not? Everything I've seen says to disconnect this one and if you look at the PSE installation PDF on RennTech (membership required) it seems like this is the safest cable to disconnect since its only purpose in life is to provide power to vaccum actuator that opens and closes the exhaust flap. If it is has no power, then the system doesn't run and the valve remains fully open all of the time.

There have been a couple of reports of people with PSE having trouble with their flaps gettting loose and starting to rattle (both with and without the cable attached), but I haven't heard any confirmed cases of anyone having trouble with this mod. It is also easy to re-attach as needed to get the quieter exhaust.

It is also the only cable I've noticed with a quick release connector, its orange, and it in plain site for easy access. It really seemed like someone who designed this wanted to make it as easy as possible to disconnect this as needed.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flash1034
Please post more info on this vacuum modification instead of disconnecting the electrical connector. I have a PSE on order and want it LOUD all the time too.

Thanks,

Flash
You really DON'T want to do it that way.

Search the 997 forum for PSE and you'll see a bunch of previous threads on this topic. The best one references a link on another web site where a mechanic explains the ins and outs of PSE and explains why it is perfectly safe to disconnect this cable.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

they said it will probably cause cel at some point - trust me - inserting this valve is just as easy

service tech has no reason to lie - he simply said this was the best way to make it louder and have it on all the time..im going with his reccomendation

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono = Louder Exhaust?