Sponsored by:

Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket

This is almost comical. Forgot my headset in my company car and took the 911 out last week. 8:30 AM in bumper to bumper on the L.I.E. on my way to work into the city and got nailed for being on my phone. Pulls me over and I see TWO cops get out of the car and approach my car! So, they write me up and just shove the ticket in the glove box.

Sitting here now and I finally pull it out to take a look. Here's a breakdown for some of the fines:
Tailgating $120
Passing stopped school bus $270
Passing red light $130
Passing stop sign $105
Passing on shoulder $120
Speeding 1-10 over $105
Speeding 11-30 over $145
Speeding over 30 $235

Here are the last two:
HOV violation $155
Cell phone $155

So, other than blowing by a stopped school bus (which you should be thrown in jail), or a speeder OVER 30 over the limit, the cell phone ticket is more than a red light and stop sign?

Can someone say revenue generating LOL
Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh is this multiple offense thing a joke? You can't be charged 3 times for speeding at different speeds if it's the same speeding offence.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:37 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He didn't get them all, he is just reading the ticket for all the other fines.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:20 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a few points on the DL as well.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they have a fine for; eating, putting on make up, drinking, reading the newspaper, messing with your radio, conversing with someone inside your car, scratching your leg? That cel phone fine is so idiotic!

Cel phones don't cause accidents, people cause accidents.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mythbusters demonstrated that talking on a cellphone while maneuvering around cones is more disruptive than being over legal limit for alcohol blood level. Off the phone while tailgating me in your Escalade please.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:45 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I think dialing causes the problem not talking.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen too many accidents caused by pulling yakking on phones without handsfree sets. One hand off the wheel, talking incessantly without paying attention to the road and traffic is a recipe for an accident. I got rear ended by a certain rock star with his cellphone glued to his ear while driving a stick! Wasn't a lot of damage but I was livid because I saw him nearly miss someone just a few blocks back. You'd think you'd realize you're not doing well and stop!
Yes there are people who do worse things like eat, put make up on etc. But the cellphone is a big problem for urban environments. I've hardly seen anyone eating or putting on mascara, but I see people on highways and weaving through traffic with cellphones attached to their heads and one hand steering. I wish it were a federal law to require handsfree sets.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe, but talking on your cell phone doesn't get you any points on your license.. the other will most certainly.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:58 PM
jfraser
Instructor

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Mythbusters demonstrated that talking on a cellphone while maneuvering around cones is more disruptive than being over legal limit for alcohol blood level. Off the phone while tailgating me in your Escalade please.
Couldn't agree more!!!! Don't understand why people think talking on a cell phone whilst driving is ok....The ridiculous part is that it's not illegal throughout the States...... There's plenty of available handsfree technology
Old 05-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
I've seen too many accidents caused by pulling yakking on phones without handsfree sets. One hand off the wheel, talking incessantly without paying attention to the road and traffic is a recipe for an accident. I got rear ended by a certain rock star with his cellphone glued to his ear while driving a stick! Wasn't a lot of damage but I was livid because I saw him nearly miss someone just a few blocks back. You'd think you'd realize you're not doing well and stop!
Yes there are people who do worse things like eat, put make up on etc. But the cellphone is a big problem for urban environments. I've hardly seen anyone eating or putting on mascara, but I see people on highways and weaving through traffic with cellphones attached to their heads and one hand steering. I wish it were a federal law to require handsfree sets.
I totally agree with you. Here in LA it seems like very other person is on the phone chatting away. Also, I've started to see people text messaging while driving. Really scary.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:00 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SciFrog
He didn't get them all, he is just reading the ticket for all the other fines.
LMAO, just blew Pepsi thru my nose! That would be quite the accomplishment to get all of these at once!

Jury, the speeders are for an individual ticket broken down by how much you were over the limit. They are not multiple fines.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
OK, fess up... who was the rock star?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

No points. BTW, I'm not saying I didn't deserve the ticket, just commenting on the fine structure compared to other (and in my mind, much more serious) offences.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

The picture in my avatar is me getting pulled over for talking on my cell phone... took the opportunity to take a pic with the phone since I was getting a ticket.

To me, if there aren't any points from the ticket then it is what it is.

Quick Reply: Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket