Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono and buttons...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 01:34 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport Chrono and buttons...

So there is a trend in automotive design to lessen the button count on the dash. Who started this trend, I don't know, but don't understand it. And neither does Porsche with all the buttons they choose to have on the 997.

But I understand Porsche now. Was recently at the Grand Prix of Houston (Champ and ALMS) which they had an open paddock policy and you could get right into the doings of the teams, and all of the race cars had a plethora of *****, buttons and gauges. These are the environments that Porsche competes in. I've never saw an iDrive in a race car and hope tha Porsche never has one. One button for one function, that's better than navigating through menu after menu to get things done.

So all you complainers that have been brainwashed into thinking that a multibutton setup is confusing, yea to a journalist who spends a few days with a car, but not to a car owner, get over it.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:35 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, there's a huge number of guys (grown boys) who secretly want their cars to resemble this photo. THAT'S why the rest of us have no choice and have to live with ugly PCM units and fifty buttons and warts.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:22 PM
texas911
Race Car

If you're not smart enough to remember which buttons do which, then you've got other problems!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:29 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I agree with MMD...

Porsche has done a great job ruining their products for those of us who don't want all of this nonsense. (I would add the lobster forks and the quad exhaust tips to his list )

Why can't we order a 911 without all this crap?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:54 AM
MMD
Banned

Here's another "inspirational" picture: At least they got the handbrake right
Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Sheepskin seatcover??!!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by texas911
So there is a trend in automotive design to lessen the button count on the dash. Who started this trend, I don't know, but don't understand it. And neither does Porsche with all the buttons they choose to have on the 997.

But I understand Porsche now. Was recently at the Grand Prix of Houston (Champ and ALMS) which they had an open paddock policy and you could get right into the doings of the teams, and all of the race cars had a plethora of *****, buttons and gauges. These are the environments that Porsche competes in. I've never saw an iDrive in a race car and hope tha Porsche never has one. One button for one function, that's better than navigating through menu after menu to get things done.

So all you complainers that have been brainwashed into thinking that a multibutton setup is confusing, yea to a journalist who spends a few days with a car, but not to a car owner, get over it.
Yeah, but then you end up with the ugly *** designs like they have in the current generation BMW's and Mercedes. Personally, I'd rather 50 buttons, so I can train my fingers to go hit that one button I want in one step, rather than have to deal with the freakin iDrive type widgets when I'm out on a twisty road.

If they could come up with few buttons, a nice design (instead of these 70's retro sedan looks with column shifters and straight dashes) and no iDrive I'd be all for it. Lexus does a great job of this with their touch screen and key buttons, so I think it is certainly possible. However, I think the German companies are too afraid of copying the Japanese makers so they have to invent something else that ultimately doesn't work well.

Germans are great for mechanical engineering, but their usability sucks!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

I've been waiting for Ben to chime in on this one... where r u?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Sheepskin seatcover??!!

When you sit on these things for 10 hours at a time sheepskins are the LEAST they can do for you!

Dan
~2000 hrs cockpit time
Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When you sit on these things for 10 hours at a time sheepskins are the LEAST they can do for you!

Dan
~2000 hrs cockpit time
They should have used this then

Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
They should have used this then

Now THAT is funny! Is that a shot from someone's taxi?

Dan
Old 05-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
I agree with MMD...

Porsche has done a great job ruining their products for those of us who don't want all of this nonsense. (I would add the lobster forks and the quad exhaust tips to his list )

Why can't we order a 911 without all this crap?
I agree somewhat; the PCM screen and all of the associated buttons (as one journalist said, placed as if somebody stuffed them up their nose and sneezed them onto the console) are pointless and borderline unsafe...even after owning the car for a while...if you just have a radio. I wish we could have opted for the Cayman/Boxster's cleaner, simpler, and more logical center console without PCM.

I don't think the cars are ruined, however...as a life-long Porschephile, there really is still nothing like a 911...and I really like the lobster-fork wheels. The fake quad tips are cheesy, however...the non-S tips suit the car better.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:40 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I wish we could have opted for the Cayman/Boxster's cleaner, simpler, and more logical center console without PCM.

the non-S tips suit the car better.
Agree 100%
Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Now THAT is funny! Is that a shot from someone's taxi?

Dan
No, but I have seen a lot of "cab" drivers using this...maybe I need to get one for myself.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
I've been waiting for Ben to chime in on this one... where r u?
Hey Steve, when you moving up here?
You still packing? ... I'm not talkin' 'bout your shootin' irons.
Those you can leave behind.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono and buttons...