Sponsored by:

Your Road Trip in your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Your Road Trip in your Porsche

Sometime this summer I am GOING to take a road trip in my cab. In the meantime, I thought it a good idea to hear from those who have already taken one, and live out vicariously for now, what some of their more memorable experiences have been.

Let's hear from you.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
REV195
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The loop around Lake Tahoe. Do NOT look at the view when you are above Emerald Bay.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Road Trips are GREAT!!

It is nice to hear that you intend on taking one, you should enjoy it!
Where do you intend on going?

In the past year I've taken 3 major road trips across the US from Los Angeles to Birmingham (PDE), up to Illinois and return. Close to 5,000 mi for each one.
Different roads traveled on each, Interstates and US Highways.
I really like the US Highways, a little less traveled and for the most part in better condition than the Interstates, but you pass thru towns that have speed limits as slow as 25.

Did the same sort of road trips in my 996 as well.

Travels have taken me on most of the major E/W routes thru the US.

Interstates traveled: I-10, 20, 29, 35, 40, 44, 65, 70, 84, 94
US Highways: US-36, 54, 64, 83, 85, 395.

Most weather conditions have been encountered, Picture perfect, Rain, Snow, Point winds and Cross winds. Temps from the tripple digits to 20°.

Always try to go thru the National Parks on the Routes. Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zeyon, Tetons, always worth the detour.

Get a US Map from AAA and look at the various road options between your starting and destination points.

Some time I'll make it farther East and do the Blue Ridge Mtns, TOD etc.

Next trip should be in Sept

Old 05-11-2006, 09:17 PM
TLMTLM
Track Day

[QUOTE=YoungTurk]Sometime this summer I am GOING to take a road trip in my cab. In the meantime, I thought it a good idea to hear from those who have already taken one, and live out vicariously for now, what some of their more memorable experiences have been.QUOTE]

When I took delivery of my new 2004 Targa my wife and I embarked on a California trip to break it in. We headed up the coast rom LA to the Vintage races in Monterey, then over to Sequioa, then Yosemite Valley, then Tioga, then Mammoth, then Rock Creek. By the time I got home it was time to change the oil for the first time.

'Twas one of the most memorable experiences of my lifetime for more reasons than one. We went from coastal weather to 100 degrees in the central valley (literally) to 32 degrees (one very cold morning at White Wolf).

The car performed flawlessly.

When I was much younger I had a German 914-6 with an S motor. I drove it everywhere - to Yosemite, Sequoia, Joshua Tree. I highly recommend getting out in these cars and just doing it. You'll never regret.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Snoopy
Racer

[QUOTE=TLMTLM]
Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Sometime this summer I am GOING to take a road trip in my cab. In the meantime, I thought it a good idea to hear from those who have already taken one, and live out vicariously for now, what some of their more memorable experiences have been.QUOTE]

When I took delivery of my new 2004 Targa my wife and I embarked on a California trip to break it in. We headed up the coast rom LA to the Vintage races in Monterey, then over to Sequioa, then Yosemite Valley, then Tioga, then Mammoth, then Rock Creek. By the time I got home it was time to change the oil for the first time.

'Twas one of the most memorable experiences of my lifetime for more reasons than one. We went from coastal weather to 100 degrees in the central valley (literally) to 32 degrees (one very cold morning at White Wolf).

The car performed flawlessly.

When I was much younger I had a German 914-6 with an S motor. I drove it everywhere - to Yosemite, Sequoia, Joshua Tree. I highly recommend getting out in these cars and just doing it. You'll never regret.
Sounds fun. I'm trying to plan a trip up to Big Sur -- will take Highway 1.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just bought my 997 a couple of months ago. Purchased it off eBay from a dealer in Virginia. It is a 2005, that had only 3600 miles on it when I took delivery. I flew from Houston to Raleigh, NC, spent the night there, and in the morning the dealer delivered the car to me at my hotel. Took it for a test drive, forked over the cash, took a couple of pictures (my avatar for one), packed up, and headed down the highway for home. As I pulled out of the parking lot, I turned on the radio for the first time. On comes Bruce Springsteen... Born to Run. Too cool. I had never driven a 997 before but had driven a couple of air cooled 911's years ago. I have to say when I first got on the road I was pretty intimidated by the car. As I drove towards Atlanta, I started feeling more and more comfortable in it. At one point a couple of guys in a SUV pulled up next to me. I sped up a little, and they did too. I slowed down and they did too. uh oh I think. So I look over and they were pointing down the road like "show us how fast it is". Dropped a gear, floored it, and next thing I know, I'm at 130 mph. It was awsome. I slowed down, they caught up, and were giving me big thumbs up. Welcome to Porsche ownership. I was more focused on getting home with my new ride than exploring NC, which is too bad, as it was beuatiful up there.

The second day of my drive, I spent nearly the entire day in a torrential downpour. The only thing less fun than driving I-10 across S. Louisiana in a Porsche, is doing it in the rain. Anyone who lives on the Gulf Coast knows what I mean. The road is torture. bubump, bubump, bubump.... Gulf Coast residents will also appreciate how in the vicinity of Vidor TX a big dually F-250 with glass packs or some kind of crapola exhaust pulls up next to me, guns it to pass me, and as I look up, all I can see is REDNECK written in big red letters across the back window of the truck. Welcom to Porshe ownership in Vidor. Vidor fyi is (or at least used to be) the world headquarters of the Klan.

The afternoon of the second day, I arrived home in Houston. My daughters heard the car come up the driveway, and came running out to see it (COOL CAR, oh, hi dad).

So, probably not exactly the kind of road trip you were looking for, but it was certainly the best two days on the road I've ever had.

Oh, and btw, if you ever want to be frisked big time, just buy a one way airfare, and don't check any bags!

Mike
Old 05-12-2006, 11:05 AM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

mglobe, i think that's a great story.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife and I decided to drive our 2001 996 cab from our home in Toronto to our home in Marathon FL (near Key West) one year. We took secondary routes all the way and stayed in interesting places (Macon and Savannah were fabulous).
We were filling up in a very small town in Georgia and our car attracted quite a bit of attention from a very friendly group of local citizens...they had never seen a Porsche.
One of them looked inside the car (top was down) and immediately beckoned over his pals and pointed out the speedo. As ours is a Canadian car, top number on speedo is 300 (km that is).........they were most impressed....engine in rear was also a talking point.
Much fun and a good laugh was had by all.
Have a great weekend
Ian
Old 05-12-2006, 11:57 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Just 2 weeks after we took delivery of our car, my wife and I headed off to Cape Breton on the east coast of Canada. We came home through the US via Bar Harbour Maine. We used the NAV extensively, especially on the way home through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. When programmed to avoid major highways and toll roads we saw an interesting slice of life through little towns and villages that have been by-passed by the modern throughways.
We logged just over 2500 miles in 8 days.... and broke in the engine, in a fun and entertaining way.
Pack lightly, enjoy the trip, as it's a great way to get intimate with your new car!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

Really enjoying the stories - keep 'em coming. I hope to drive at least part of Route 66 this summer, and to prepare I ordered this book:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...duct_id=478211

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I am getting ready to do the same as the others.

My car is due in Cleveland the end of the month. I live in NV.

I am going to fly to North Olmsted, and start my road trip the next day.

Here is my route:

Hwy 71 (Ohio)
Hwy 70 (Ohio, Indiana)
Hwy 36 (Smaller than the main highway through Missouri, Kansas, Colorado)
Route 71 (Very Small in Colorado)
Route 24 Through Colorado Springs
Highway 25 (Colorado)
Highway 160 (Colorado, Arizona)
Highway 40 (Arizona)
Highway 93 (Nevada)

I figure I will take about 5 days or so. I will be driving by myself, but I know I will have fun just the same. The entire trip will be about 2,100 miles. When I return, I'll change the oil and then take it to CA to see some of my family/friends.

Any suggestions to altering the route, or suggestions of where to stay/what to see, I'm open.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

Oh, and btw, if you ever want to be frisked big time, just buy a one way airfare, and don't check any bags!

Mike[/QUOTE]

That's hysterical!!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:07 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

Mike
haha tell me about it, I had a one-way ticket to SF with no bags and I was the only one thoroughly checked out of all the passengers. Even went through my shoes!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:09 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof

My car is due in Cleveland the end of the month. I live in NV.

I am going to fly to North Olmsted, and start my road trip the next day.
I know who you bought from!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof

Here is my route:

Hwy 71 (Ohio)
Hwy 70 (Ohio, Indiana)
Hwy 36 (Smaller than the main highway through Missouri, Kansas, Colorado)
Route 71 (Very Small in Colorado)
Route 24 Through Colorado Springs
Highway 25 (Colorado)
Highway 160 (Colorado, Arizona)
Highway 40 (Arizona)
Highway 93 (Nevada)
Any suggestions to altering the route, or suggestions of where to stay/what to see, I'm open.
GREAT!!!
I'm glad you decieded to do the journey, you'll enjoy it.
I've done pretty much the same route from US-36 in Illinois Westward.

One nice detour:
Take 64 from 89 and drive thru the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, it's on your way. Always Spectacular.
Lodging along the way, Best Westerns have always worked out just fine on my journeys, and pretty much all of them now have hi-speed internet, if yur bringing a laptop.

Quick Reply: Your Road Trip in your Porsche