Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I know who you bought from!

Yes you do!!

They called yesterday and said it was finished and ready to board the ship. So, I guess ONVSL is the next code they will be sending me.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
GREAT!!!
I'm glad you decieded to do the journey, you'll enjoy it.
I've done pretty much the same route from US-36 in Illinois Westward.

One nice detour:
Take 64 from 89 and drive thru the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, it's on your way. Always Spectacular.
Lodging along the way, Best Westerns have always worked out just fine on my journeys, and pretty much all of them now have hi-speed internet, if yur bringing a laptop.
I'm looking up the route now. Thank you for the tip and for taking the time to post the map.

I am trying to figure out where to stay along the way. I am going to drive approx. 500 mile increments. The first stop conceptually will be around Springfield, and the second one somewhere around Phillipsburg (Kansas). The 3rd and 4th are up in the air, and the first two can be changed also.

Suggestions for overnight places???
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
I'm looking up the route now. Thank you for the tip and for taking the time to post the map.
[/B]
Lest I forget, a couple of other things.

In Eastern Kansas since US-36 follows the route...imagine yourself being a Pony Express rider

Off US-36 in Lebanon, KS..The Geographic Ctr of the US..not a big deal except to say you were there.

4 corners NM...again just to say you were there.

A couple of US-160 videos from a past trip.CLICK HERE!

Lodging...as you drive along there will be Billboards announcing upcoming places. Don't expect Hilton or Hyatt cause there are none, your in the hartland of America.
Again Best Western has worked well on my travels, and I have never had a problem with anybody messing with my car. Don't fret!

Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey 1 Gunner
AS well as our USA trip, we left our cottage on the Big Rideau (near you), and went through the Eastern Townships and Maine to Bar Harbor. We took the fast ferry to Nova Scotia and stayed in Lunenburg. The Fishermans Museum is a stop not to be missed. We then went to Cape Breton and around the Cabot Trail...what a drive.
Next stop St. Andrews By The Sea in New Brunswick. We stayed at the Algonquin....a trip back in time..the Canadian Pacific Railway suite is on the top floor and has a view from three sides....unfortunately for us it was OF FOG!
We left at 6am, back through Maine and Quebec and arrived at the cottage at approx 10pm.
We'll go back on that trip again. On the subject of packing, you can cram in a ton of stuff in these cars...required if you have a high fashion wife.
If you're ever in the Rideau Lakes area, there are some great roads north of Perth. PM me if you want routes for a day trip.
Cheers
Ian
Old 05-12-2006, 03:30 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dariof...

In the POI menu on you Nav....Rest Areas are listed as Picnic Areas.
Use them..walk around...take a leak

Under Status ...you can see your Altitude

I love my Nav.

Take some earplugs they will make your journey nicer after a good days drive.
(No buzzy head)

Old 05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Dariof...

In the POI menu on you Nav....Rest Areas are listed as Picnic Areas.
Use them..walk around...take a leak

Under Status ...you can see your Altitude

I love my Nav.

Take some earplugs they will make your journey nicer after a good days drive.
(No buzzy head)

I just finished plotting my trip. I will stay in Springfield, Phillipsburg, Durango and then maybe somewhere in AZ. Each leg is 500-600 miles which I will take my time with for break-in. I plan lots of stops and speed altering.

Thanks for alerting me to the POI system in the Porsche. I am bringing my Garmin GPS...I have had it for several years and know all its nuances. It will be fun to compare the Garmin Nav with the P-car Nav.

Earplugs...I never would of thought of that, but I will have them.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by rideau
Hey 1 Gunner
AS well as our USA trip, we left our cottage on the Big Rideau (near you), and went through the Eastern Townships and Maine to Bar Harbor. We took the fast ferry to Nova Scotia and stayed in Lunenburg. The Fishermans Museum is a stop not to be missed. We then went to Cape Breton and around the Cabot Trail...what a drive.
Next stop St. Andrews By The Sea in New Brunswick. We stayed at the Algonquin....a trip back in time..the Canadian Pacific Railway suite is on the top floor and has a view from three sides....unfortunately for us it was OF FOG!
We left at 6am, back through Maine and Quebec and arrived at the cottage at approx 10pm.
We'll go back on that trip again. On the subject of packing, you can cram in a ton of stuff in these cars...required if you have a high fashion wife.
If you're ever in the Rideau Lakes area, there are some great roads north of Perth. PM me if you want routes for a day trip.
Cheers
Ian
Hey Ian,
Looks like you did the reverse to our route....
When in Cape Breton we stayed at the Ceilidh Country Lodge in Baddeck for a couple of days, allowing us to travel around Cape Breton from each direction. Well worth it!
Yup, the roads north of Perth through Lanark on up to Calabogie and on over to Matawachan are great touring roads in this area!!
How's the water level on the Rideau? Just back from our cottage on the Ottawa and it's almost down to summer level!! Time for dock and lift duty, summer's just round the bend!!

Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Take a camera.
Take pictures.
Take a laptop.
Post pictures each evening.
Stop at restaurants with signs that say Eat.

Oh, and check out this for roadside attractions:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/geo/s...p.php?state=tx
Old 05-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Road trips,--great stuff!

I'm one month out right now from my trek to Zuffenhausen and three weeks in the Alps!

dan
Old 05-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Scuderia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

US 36 through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri is so, so much better than the Interstate system. The towns are small, the people friendly, the locals know the best places to eat and Best Western is your best choice off the beaten path. In early June you will miss wheat harvest in Kansas, but keep your eyes peeled for pieces of "supersized" farm equipment and farmers who are more interested in checking the fields than their driving. Have a wonderful trip.

Quick Reply: Your Road Trip in your Porsche