Sponsored by:

Dealing with Trolls in the 997 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dealing with Trolls in the 997 Forum

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to deal with those who are bent on being disruptive and a general nuisance to the rest of our community here in the 997 Forum. Obviously whatever works here will work in any forum, but I wanted to keep this thread here, hence the specific name, since we've been seeing quite a bit of this activity lately.

I think most of us understand what a troll is, right? It's a social misfit by any other name. It's someone who wants to fit in and be accepted by the community, but lacks the social skills or social development to do so successfully. And so out of frustration they resort to the only behavior that comes easy and natural to them. Like children with underdeveloped mental faculties they throw tantrums and spew vitriolic attacks on others, resort to childish name calling, and all manner of disruptive behavior, often laced with profanity and otherwise offensive language.

These individuals obviously do no service to the community at large. They have made it clear by their behavior that they're not interested in becoming a welcomed member of our community, and now seem bent on disrupting the harmony we all enjoy.

I'm sure they don't mean to start out this way, although those who have been banned before and try to re-enter using a different username may just pick up where they left off. But for those who sign up here for the first time, I'm sure their intentions are good at the start, and for some reason (maybe just their nature) they're on a fast track to Rennlist hell before you know it.

I personally believe most of them can be rehabilitated and brought back into the fold. Heck, we all make mistakes and sometimes say things we really didn't mean to say, and would like to take them back. Most of us are apologetic and will apologize when we offend. ... Forgiveness follows and before you know it, given a second chance, they're back in the good graces of everyone.

Unfortunately there are a few of them who apparently can't be rehabilitated. And we the members of this community have the power to deal with these individuals ourselves. One word, folks: ostracism.

I think the best method of dealing with a troll is just to ignore him - to act as though he doesn't exist, as if he's in your "ignore list" (which may not be a bad idea), and by resisting the temptation to reply to the inflammatory comments he makes.

Once we notice troll behavior we can then notify the community at large and deal with the problem accordingly. We can use this very thread to hold court, if you will, in dealing with this particular problem.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

just ignore them - i for one hate censorship
Old 05-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I hope you're not talking about Nick...even though I don't always agree with him, I enjoy his counter-arguments. He's kind of like Simon Cowel- a little abrupt and impolite but often makes sense. Even though I can afford a Ferrari and once wanted one, I'm confident in the reasons I love Porsches so don't take offense to his bias. Might actually miss him if didn't visit our boards. I think I know the trolls you speak of and I've always ignired them anyway. But it is sometimes interesting to observe their childish behavior. Thanks for putting in wrtiting what we all need to see OCBen.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kind of new here and don't know everyone yet, but do read a lot of bens stuff. guess there always a bad seed(not you ben). drama, that thing that makes life interesting. very much enjoy this forum.-----------mike
Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I say we don't give them the antidote.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by robbonds
I hate censorship too. No one's advocating that. I'm basically advocating your suggestion: "ignore them."

Originally Posted by Kevin Keating
I hope you're not talking about Nick...
No, not talking about Nick, nor any regulars here. This was behavior that took place last night that required one of the moderators to step in and delete the offensive posts.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:30 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin Keating
I hope you're not talking about Nick...even though I don't always agree with him, I enjoy his counter-arguments. He's kind of like Simon Cowel- a little abrupt and impolite but often makes sense. Even though I can afford a Ferrari and once wanted one, I'm confident in the reasons I love Porsches so don't take offense to his bias. Might actually miss him if didn't visit our boards. I think I know the trolls you speak of and I've always ignired them anyway. But it is sometimes interesting to observe their childish behavior. Thanks for putting in wrtiting what we all need to see OCBen.
nick is like the simon cowel of post boards!
i love that!

Originally Posted by robbonds
you can't just ignore them!
mods have to do their job!
there have been a couple on here that have left no doubt their only purpose is to disrupt.
once they start they multiply and then the board is useless!
unfortunately some of these are probably multiple user accounts.

Originally Posted by OCBen
This was behavior that took place last night that required one of the moderators to step in and delete the offensive posts.
mod should have banned cayuga just from looking at the few number of posts and what they were!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 PM
The B
Racer

Newby's perspective: I observe several P-car forums joined only this one due to the knowledge, intelligent interaction and humor.

I hope this forum protects itself by OC Ben's solution and not administrative action.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
mod should have banned cayuga just from looking at the few number of posts and what they were!
Good point.

In some other forums the first 5 or so posts are screened by a moderator before they are released publicly, and so it takes a while before they actually post on the board. I thought that was rather odd. Obviously there's a good reason for that.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:08 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Default Troll Blocking...

I watched the Roadfly E32 (BMW 7er) board crash and burn when the mods went over the top trying to censor behaviours...

I don't want to see that happen here. Rennlist is clearly the best Porsche board on the web.

I agree with Ben - the best treatment plan for Trollism is the same as basic "personal Internet security"; keep your "firewall" up and be proactive about blocking the boneheads. If they become too obtrusive, then we can go to Phase II - moderator override.

This forum is too important to fall to the misfits.

Just MHO,

-Don
Old 05-11-2006, 01:09 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The B
Newby's perspective: I observe several P-car forums joined only this one due to the knowledge, intelligent interaction and humor.

I hope this forum protects itself by OC Ben's solution and not administrative action.
i'll agree that should be the best way to handle it, but i was on one other forum before this one and once the trolls started they multiplied.
the worst thing was that a high percentage of the users had an alternate account.
whenever someone posted something they didnt like instead of using their main account they would go to the alternate account to give a scathing reply and not have accountability (no pun intended).
i was a mod on this board and quit in disgust because the lack of control by the admin.
he thought the trolls were good for more advertising dollars!
you can imagine how that affects a forum! not in a good way!
some people are just bent on destruction.
this board has seemed pretty troll free for the most part since i have joined until just recently.
could be only one bad apple causing all the trouble.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can ALL peacefully agree to disagree. IMO…What is important to me is community information (997) and building memorable relationships. I also hate censorship, so on board with this community by ignoring future trolls.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by icon
i'll agree that should be the best way to handle it, but i was on one other forum before this one and once the trolls started they multiplied.
the worst thing was that a high percentage of the users had an alternate account.
whenever someone posted something they didnt like instead of using their main account they would go to the alternate account to give a scathing reply and not have accountability (no pun intended).
i was a mod on this board and quit in disgust because the lack of control by the admin.
he thought the trolls were good for more advertising dollars!
you can imagine how that affects a forum! not in a good way!
some people are just bent on destruction.
this board has seemed pretty troll free for the most part since i have joined until just recently.
could be only one bad apple causing all the trouble.

Wow, well this would fall under the "knowledge" aspect of why I enjoy this forum. I appreciate the perspective.

(Humble laughter), I am unsophisticated enough with forums that I would have no idea about an "alternate account".
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cvazquez
We can ALL peacefully agree to disagree. IMO…What is important to me is community information (997) and building memorable relationships. I also hate censorship, so on board with this community by ignoring future trolls.
don't get me wrong.
i hate censorship as well! maybe even more!
i don't think we currently have much of a problem at all.
and like i posted, my opinion is it's most likely ONE bad apple under multiple accounts that is causing the little bit of trouble we are currently experiencing.
admin has the ability to click on an icon in the top right of each post to check what ip address the post came from.
in this way and others (ip account cross checking) they can easily find users that might have multiple accounts.
holding a user to one account would not be censorship!
edit: would also be willing to bet a tidy sum that cayuga has at least one other account!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wholeheartedly agree that this is the highest quality Porsche board that I have found. While some guys are childish, I think you guys have been very effective in "outing" them.

Heck, cayuga's poll immediately blew back on him.

My vote, sincerely, is to not change a thing. Nothing's perfect and sometimes a lively and spirited debate is good.

OTOH, Ben I just don't hear you the same way now that you've changed your avatar back. I think DM fit your humor and grammar to a "T".

Quick Reply: Dealing with Trolls in the 997 Forum