Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSM 997 (option 666) after market - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:31 AM
austx911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSM 997 (option 666) after market - worth it?

I have a 2005 911S (997) and I am looking for phone options.

I have read through the old posts on the 666 option for using GSM SIMs and I am leaning towards that option as an after market dealer add-on. So have some questions for anyone who wouldn't mind contributing some up-to-date information.

Question for those who are current users:
1) Other posters indicated that the other callers' voices come from only the front right of the car. Is this true? If so, does it bother anyone or work well?

2) What do other callers think of the quality of the connection? I have read various reports of people claiming "wind noise" and lower quality audio coming from the driver. Others seem to think differently. I don't expect miracles since at high speed on the freeway there is some cabin noise anyway (I don't have a convertible BTW).

3) Syncing your address book - how easy is it to sync up your address book from another source (computer, phone, etc.). I don't want to manually enter all my phone entries.

4) What does the Mail button do in US based cars? Does it work?

5) SMS - someone mentioned that works - how do they come in. And how do you send?

6) If you don't have the Multifunction steering wheel - is that a big deal? Or is it worth paying for that as well?

Thanks in advance for any and all additional information.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

1) Other posters indicated that the other callers' voices come from only the front right of the car. Is this true? If so, does it bother anyone or work well?

Sound comes out of the passenger speaker and is of good quality!

2) What do other callers think of the quality of the connection? I have read various reports of people claiming "wind noise" and lower quality audio coming from the driver. Others seem to think differently. I don't expect miracles since at high speed on the freeway there is some cabin noise anyway

From what has been told to me the sound quality is pretty good. Upon answering there is a bit of a transition, there must be some sort of noise cancelation going on.

3) Syncing your address book - how easy is it to sync up your address book from another source (computer, phone, etc.). I don't want to manually enter all my phone entries.

Any entries address book entries stored on your SIM card will appear and can be accessed from the OBC or PCM screens.

All in all a well engineered solution!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

it's product number isn't "666" for just any reason....
Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 AM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by austx911
I have a 2005 911S (997) and I am looking for phone options.

I have read through the old posts on the 666 option for using GSM SIMs and I am leaning towards that option as an after market dealer add-on. So have some questions for anyone who wouldn't mind contributing some up-to-date information.

Question for those who are current users:

2) What do other callers think of the quality of the connection? I have read various reports of people claiming "wind noise" and lower quality audio coming from the driver. Others seem to think differently. I don't expect miracles since at high speed on the freeway there is some cabin noise anyway (I don't have a convertible BTW).

4) What does the Mail button do in US based cars? Does it work?

5) SMS - someone mentioned that works - how do they come in. And how do you send?

6) If you don't have the Multifunction steering wheel - is that a big deal? Or is it worth paying for that as well?

Thanks in advance for any and all additional information.
I have it in my C2 Cab and it is great. I added it after the purchase--took my service guy about 4 hours. Works like a charm, and everyone in the car can hear and speak to the caller with the top down without a problem.

I bought my car off the lot without ordering it, but I definitely would order this option.

To answer your questions:

(1) Voices come from front right, but everyone can hear them.
(2) No problem with road noise at all at reasonable speeds, even with the top down.
(3) SIM card addresses sync perfectly. It's juts getting them on the damn SIM card that is the issue for me, and it has nothing to do with the Porsche.
(4) Mail button is for text messaging. If your plan has SMS or email, this works.
(5) See answer (4) above. You see a mail icon on the PCM screen when you get a message. You reply using the PCM ***** and buttons. Yes this is cumbersome, but you get used to it if you want to use this function (just like on a cell phone).
(6) I don't have the multifunction steering wheel and I just use the PCM controls for the phone.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911
(6) I don't have the multifunction steering wheel and I just use the PCM controls for the phone.
Imagine how much nicer it is with the MFSW! .. It's a definite "must have" if you get the 666 phone module.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have the MFSW, but the OBC stalk works just fine for phone control..

Don't know why one would use SMS..eyes need to be on the road looking where you want to go, not on the PCM screen
Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Imagine how much nicer it is with the MFSW! .. It's a definite "must have" if you get the 666 phone module.
Is there a "sport" version of the MFSW? I much prefer the sport wheel, but additional controls on the MFSW would be nice.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
I didn't have a choice, since I didn't get to order the car.

Once you get a few numbers in the phone memory, either from prior calls or your SIM card, PCM isn't that bad for controlling the phone.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 PM
austx911
8th Gear

Awesome. Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I will be calling my dealer to see what the price is going to be for this
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep us posted. It's the one thing I didn't order on the car,--figuring it could be added if I really needed it (and already equipped with the MF wheel).

dan
Old 05-10-2006, 05:26 AM
austx911
8th Gear

Thanks again everyone.

Well so far my dealer gave me the run around:
A) "sure bring it in"
B) "well we won't be able tell if you can upgrade or not until we see it, don't trust the internet posts you are reading" -- but I have the VIN number --- "sorry just bring it in"
C) How much would it cost? Dealer - "well we haven't ever done one before. So we don't know, you can bring it in anytime this week".

I feel confident

PS Is it just me, but when we spend around $100K on a car, shouldn't we get a post sales experience a little better or at least as good as I get with my $20k Honda Element?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:37 AM
S4to911
Instructor

You have got to be kidding. There is a TSB on how to do this (its posted on Rennteam). The cost is not cheap (about $1600 in parts and $500-600 in labor) but to me it was worth it.

Have them call Auto Palace in Pittsburgh, who did mine.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:55 PM
austx911
8th Gear

So I think I am going to go for this tomorrow. One last question for those who have the system installed. Does it have an ability to mute your side of the conversation? This would be very handy when needing to listen in on a conf. call but not have background noise carry thru.

Thanks all!
Old 05-14-2006, 03:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Let us know how it works out, & how much they want for it!
Old 05-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great option. I use it all the time. Only problem I have is the limited space on the sim cards. Most are 64kb which equal about 255 numbers. We had to select the numbers we most use (my wife and I) and put it in the sim. THAT is a pain in the butt.
The interface for text messages and dialing is a bit tedious via the PCM.
Quality of sound is good and even with all windows down or X51 at 4500 rpm, I could hear very well and vice versa. Whatever you do, don't get T-mobile! That service sucks.
Also having the multi function steering wheel is worth it.

Quick Reply: GSM 997 (option 666) after market - worth it?