Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997's with aftermarket wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Paul SLC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997's with aftermarket wheel spacers?

For those who have installed spacers- what did do you for a wheel lock, if anything? What is the effect on handling?
How did you decide how big of a spacer to go with? I am contemplating 7mm all around. Porsche offers a 5 mm spacer with wheel locks, but that size is not really even noticeable is it?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM
vinnysca
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul SLC
For those who have installed spacers- what did do you for a wheel lock, if anything? What is the effect on handling?
How did you decide how big of a spacer to go with? I am contemplating 7mm all around. Porsche offers a 5 mm spacer with wheel locks, but that size is not really even noticeable is it?
The wheel spacers I ordered from H & R came in yesterday. I decided to go with 7mm front and 15mm back based on what some of the posters here have done. Glad I went with this combination! Looks great now! The original stock did look recessed within the wheel wells, but the car now looks stout and aggressive. I didn't see any difference with handling as I haven't tracked my C2S yet.

Vince

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey a fellow NH enthusiast. I am in Concord NH. I like the color of your car and the tags. Very nice indeed. The spacers make the car look great. I think I might have that done. Did you install them yourself or have a shop do it. Who would you recommend for the job. I will check out the H&R website for the spacers.
thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Hey a fellow NH enthusiast. I am in Concord NH. I like the color of your car and the tags. Very nice indeed. The spacers make the car look great. I think I might have that done. Did you install them yourself or have a shop do it. Who would you recommend for the job. I will check out the H&R website for the spacers.
thanks
If you can change a flat, you can install spacers...it's that easy. Just don't scratch your purdy rims laying them down.

H&R spacers hands down. FVD makes them also, then there's ebay...
Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul SLC
when you buy spacers you also get a set of new lug bolts with proper length.
no wheel locks.

i would not do spacers on a stock car. get 8.5"f 11.5"r or 12"r rims and they will stick out properly and will allow you to use wider rubber.
I need to run spacers in front with 8" rims only becouse my upper mounts are adjusted for 9" wide track rims to fit under fender.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
jss67
3rd Gear

I went with 7mm front and 14mm rear, haven't noticed any improvements in handling. No lock bolts either, if someone want your rims bad enough they'll find a way to get them, with or without locks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
s329
Racer

not to go OT, but what front lip is that you have on your car? Looks great and not too low.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
thanks
I did it myself. No tools required, except for the routine things one would need to remove the wheels. They came with retaining screws, but the holes don't match up to any of the potential (there's only two) screws on the wheel plates. They basically just fit snuggly and is sandwiched between the wheel plate and wheels/tires. They are made in Germany (as evidenced by the stamp marks) and is well engineered.

Make sure that you order the proper lug nuts. One thing you won't be able to do is reinstall your security bolt from the factory.

V
Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You'll have to get another set of longer security bolts once you go with spacers. Porsche makes them in longer sizes.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnysca
They came with retaining screws, but the holes don't match up to any of the potential (there's only two) screws on the wheel plates.
They are made in Germany (as evidenced by the stamp marks) and is well engineered.
Not well engineered enough to have the retaining screw holes line up. Why is this part of spacers nigh impossible for makers to get right?

Quick Reply: 997's with aftermarket wheel spacers?