Sponsored by:

Paint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
tgibson1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Problem

Picked up new Seal Grey 997S Cab back in December and after working on the car for awhile now, I have noticed that the paint appears to have a blotchy appearance on the hood ( most noticable ) along with bubbling defects on hood edges. Wondering if it was re-painted. Is there a way to tell. I don't notice any overspray, missing decals, etc. If it was done at the dealer they are not going to admit it. Please help.

Tad
Old 05-02-2006, 03:12 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like it was repainted...feel all around the edges - it should be smooth
Old 05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 28 Posts

Take it to a body shop. They can tell by looking and also have gauge that will show paint thickness.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Paint gauges are only useful on jobs that were not done properly. In the highest end shops, the finish is matched precisely to the same thickness. But an experienced body guy should be able to 'see' and 'feel' if it was painted.

Some Porsches are touched up at port due to damage in transit. There is a record of it, and the selling dealer has a report if so. If they lie, call PCNA and dig. If not, ask for an appointment with your DSM when he/she is in town.

Was it not this way at delivery?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-02-2006, 04:02 PM
tgibson1
Advanced

It was like this at delivery, as I have had no paintwork done. I just noticred a few weeks ago when I did a complete detail.

Had my neighbor come over and look at the car, he owns severalbody shops; said the hood has definitely been repainted. Any pearls of wisdom on how to handle the dealer? I've had the car 5 months, don't want to run into the blame game.

Last edited by tgibson1; 05-02-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
tgibson1
Advanced

Going to the shop tomorrow, wish me luck.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:10 AM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

Mine (Seal Grey 997 C2S) has an overspayed and spilt spot (an inch long) on the engine room edges which only appears when the hood is open. I noticed it at the delivery but I did not complain about it to my dealer since it does not appear when the engine room hood is closed. I hope yours are like mine and you have a peace of mind. If, however, such spot appears on the outside the sheet metal of your P-car, it should be a problem.

I believe it won't be difficult to verify whose fault it is, no matter when you took the delivery. The paintwork will not tell a lie.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
tgibson1
Advanced

Update:

Took car to friend's auto body and did visual and mill check. Checked the hood both fenders and doors. Mill reading was different on all surfaces. We could not find any evidence of a repaint except an incredibly poor paint job. Waiting on response from Champion Porsce on any port damage and repair. Service manager practicly ran away from me when I mentioned the paint. Will have to see what SM comes back with.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:33 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 28 Posts

You should know that BMW lost a lawsuit for having repainted/touched up cars from damage in shipping and not telling customers about it. The Supreme Court overturned the size of the verdict, but the decision is still relevant.

Quick Reply: Paint Problem