Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossed 2000 miles and now time for the body shop... (Updated with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Crossed 2000 miles and now time for the body shop... (Updated with pics)

At 8:35 AM this morning I was happy to have crossed 2000 miles to finally get out of the break-in period.

At 1:35 PM today my best friend tapped my front bumper into the trailer hitch of a Expedition - $823 in damage.

I know this will spark a debate about this is why people don't let others drive their car, but I still won't think twice about giving him the keys to my car (while I'm in it). It was a simple accident (I didn't see the hitch either) and he's more sick about it than I am. **** happens, now I just need to get it fixed next week (fortunately there's a good place for that) so I'll be without my baby next Wed - Fri on what is currently forecasted to be perfectly sunny days (like today).

Hopefully they'll treat her good and at least I'll get some chips out from my drive with the Porsche club last weekend.

Last edited by ronmart; 05-03-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
my best friend tapped my front bumper into the trailer hitch of a Expedition
Sorry to hear that, Ron. Yes, your friend must feel awful. At least he did not total it, returning you to waiter status...
Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Sorry to hear that.
Was he just driving it for fun?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, sorry to hear that Ron. Sounds like they should be able repair the local area without having to replace the bumper, as was the case with me.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Sorry to hear about the dent, I'm sure they will make it perfect.

By the way Ben, you have to change your avatar, because everytime I read one of your posts, I read it with Dennis Miller's voice . Maybe you can change it to Katleen Turner or something sexy
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sh*t Happens

My first thought is why would anybody get that close to the rear end of such a colossally huge vehicle?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:24 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

soulteacher - yeah, I think I would have told the Expedition to run me over if he would have returned me to waiter status!

snoopy - yes, we had just finished taking turns driving on some spirited roads near work during our lunch break. He's a good guy and feels about as bad as any of us would if we'd had done this to a friends new 997.

Ben - yes, it is so small that they basically will just strip the paint, use heat to restore the bumper, and repaint. She'll be good as new. If it weren't on the bumper, then it would be a great candidate for paintless dent removal. However, that soft flexible paint on the bumper is toast when it gets bumped.

Deven - thanks - and thanks for giving Ben crap about his Avitar. I did the same. I'm tired of looking at Dennis Miller.

MJones - he was trying to be polite and make more room so cars could get around us. We were going into an area that broke into two lanes (from 1) and the left lane was full, and the right was turn only. I was a bit nervous when he got close the first time and should have said something, but I didn't think he'd do it again when the SUV moved forward again. I wasn't worried about it rolling back since we were on flat ground and we were so close you couldn't see the hitch, so I probably would have done the same thing had I been behind the wheel. It does suck though.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:54 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Ronmart, don't worry. You will get your car looking perfect again. Two weeks ago when I was visiting my Porsche Dealership here in CT. a driver at Limerock slid off the track and hit the entire side of his car. The tech assured him that when they finished, it would look great again. So hang in there it won't be long be you'll be detailing your baby again.

Jay
Old 04-29-2006, 01:11 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
I was a bit nervous when he got close the first time and should have said something, but I didn't think he'd do it again when the SUV moved forward again. I wasn't worried about it rolling back since we were on flat ground and we were so close you couldn't see the hitch, so I probably would have done the same thing had I been behind the wheel.
that sucks ron!
sounds like the damage is very minor though!
slug your buddy once for me!
i had a 2 week old bmw 535i once and a drunk lady turned right into me!
had to have a wrecker use it's hook to pull the body work away from the tire just so i could drive it!
i was on vacation ta boot!
talk about a bad vacation!
i'm sure your car will be back to perfection in no time!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the words of encouragement!

my buddy is kicking himself worse than I ever could!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:00 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear the news. I let my friend drive my car last week ( he has a 993 turbo). While driving in a spirited fashion, he missed the shift to third

Maybe there is a theme starting here---- friends don't let friends....oh nevermind
Old 04-29-2006, 02:26 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

My freind did give me a bit of a fright just before he bumped my car when he mentioned that he didn't know the clutch pedal travel was so far down. I of course thought WTF do you mean????

I try not to think about that one!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The nice thing about repair shops today is that all these things ARE fixable. Yo'll be back in shape in no time,--and this will soon be behind you. I loaned one of my cars to a good friend and he managed to hit my other car with that car,--he messed up TWO of my cars. It was even funnier when I called my insurance company,--as we both are covered by the same company. They didn't have a way out!

dan
Old 04-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Snoopy
Racer

I know everyone has their own opinion on all of this, but I've just never been comfortable with having others (other than my husband, family) drive my car. Even in high school and college, I never loaned my car to friends. One of my best friends has a 997 Cab and when I first got my coupe she wanted to drive it to see if it felt the same as hers. I managed to avoid it. It just makes me too nervous.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:16 AM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

in the end, i value my friends more than my cars. it's worth it to see the smiles on their faces

Quick Reply: Crossed 2000 miles and now time for the body shop... (Updated with pics)