Leather is Leather,--or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Leather is Leather,--or is it?

Question for the old timers (older than me).

I have long seen that Porsche has their 'special' leather colors (natural brown and natural gray) and then all the 'others.'

Is there a process difference that is justifying the call out for a different term (like being vat-dyed) or something else that makes these special?

Many years ago I remember that only black was vat dyed and everything else was ultimately 'painted on' to get the color of choice.

Ideas? Insight? So what's the deal here?

I wound up choosing Natural Brown over the others for my custom exterior color because the natural brown is really gorgeous looking stuff,--although I just know that it will require some work on my part so maintain it. I had a full leather interior in my last car and it help up very well with minimal work,--but it was a darker color,--dark brown.

Dan
Inquiring Minds...

TIA.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:05 PM
fl0950
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't answer your question about different leather colors and the process to create those colors, but certainly agree about the beauty of natural brown. Have a 997S coupe coming in a week or two (ordered it in early December), also from SB Porsche. Slate, natural brown full leather, plus a bunch of other options. Saw the natural brown in a black cab in SB a few weeks ago, and the leather felt "softer" to the touch. My imagination? I'll post pics when I pick up the car.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:37 PM
eric997florida
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between natural and the standard leather is that the Natural leather is Aniline Dyed. Unequaled, glove-soft texture. Aniline dyed leathers are tumbled for up to 12 hours in drums containing clear, transparent dyes. These dyes enhance the subtle variations of each hide. All leathers get better over time, but aniline dyed leathers develop a truly beautiful, distinctive patina which adds to its value. Only premium hides with the most pleasing color and texture are selected for this category, less than 5% of all upholstery hides in the world. Many grades of leather, from all tanneries, are aniline dyed and natural."

The standard leather...
"Corrected Grain Leathers: Many hides are very marred by naturally occurring imperfections or "thumbprints" such as insect bites, barbed wire scars, scrapes and other defects. To remove these imperfections, Corrected Grain leathers are first sanded or buffed, then usually embossed to restore a natural-looking grain pattern. Finally, additional color and a protective coating is applied. Some natural softness is sacrificed in the process, but the great number of hides that fit this category make this the most economical grade of top grain leather, and extremely resistant to stains and fading."
Old 04-25-2006, 11:48 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is my understanding that all Porsche leathers are vat dyed and eric997florida is spot on about an Aniline dyed leather. I've got 8 Aniline dyed pieces of furniture in my home and 10 that very high quality but aren't Aniline dyed and the Aniline dyed are the ones that always get the most attention from guests. They are MUCH more expensive (generally 3 times more in my case) but they have been worth the money. The only downside is that they are more easily damaged because they don't have any protection on them so water or other contaminants (such as oil from skin) leave permanent marks on them, so we have to be extremely careful with them. I would suspect they do something with car leathers to make them more resillent.

With that said, I've been extremely impressed with the leather on my 911. It is the nicest leather I've seen on any car, and that includes a new Rolls Royce I had the pleasure of sitting in a few months ago. It isn't as good as my Aniline dyed leathers, but it is pretty darn close and much more durable.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ronmart,

How did you get the wet look on your car in the avitar? I got my waxed with P21S but it just doesn't look wet like that. Suggestions please.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:30 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mdonline
Hey Ronmart,
How did you get the wet look on your car in the avitar? I got my waxed with P21S but it just doesn't look wet like that. Suggestions please.
Let me guess...Zaino!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Its got to be Zaino.....?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:09 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fl0950
I can't answer your question about different leather colors and the process to create those colors, but certainly agree about the beauty of natural brown. Have a 997S coupe coming in a week or two (ordered it in early December), also from SB Porsche. Slate, natural brown full leather, plus a bunch of other options. Saw the natural brown in a black cab in SB a few weeks ago, and the leather felt "softer" to the touch. My imagination? I'll post pics when I pick up the car.
That sounds like an amazing colour combination. Can't wait to see pictures of that.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by fl0950

I saw that same cab at SB Auto Group as well after selecting the nat. brown,--it only reinforced my decision. Will look forward to seeing your coupe around town.

Thanks to others on the aniline dye discussion. I thought it was something like that but had forgotten it.

dan
Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I may be wrong here, but I think there was a thread on Rennteam explaining the difference between Natural and regular leather. I cannot remember exactly, but the difference was in the way the leather was dyed, and apparently the Natural leather can have imperfections (the color can be off slightly) enhancing the 'natural' look of the leather. It may have been softer as well, because of the way the leather was dyed.

Its funny, that when looking at the absolute cost of natural leather many people including myself never gave it a chance, but when comparing to regular leather is was 'only' ~1200 more. I saw the natural brown and it was goergoeus but after seeing the Natural grey on a dark car (black) it looked like a pefect match and I 'had' to have it.

Quick Reply: Leather is Leather,--or is it?