Sponsored by:

repost

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I challenge you to support your charge of boorishness. It's one thing to throw out accusations, and it's quite another, isn't it, to back it up with actual proof.

For the record, this kid in question frequents our 997 forum and, after over 1000 posts, outright refuses to support John D's site by becoming a Rennlist Member, even after many of us have tried to convince him to do the right thing. He likes to harshly criticize others for their personal choices (speaking of boorishness) and often misleads others with his misinformation, requiring on more than one occasion for someone to step in and correct the bad information before someone is led astray.

Most of us ignore him for the most part, as evidenced by the last thread that he started, complete with pics, and nobody replied.

In fact, one Rennlist Member just PM'd me the following:

You probably spend most of your time in the Boxster forum and so you probably don't know the history here with us trying to convince this guy to become a member.
Ben, please suggest to the friend that PM'd you that the place for discussion of board issues is indeed on the board, not in private communication. Secondly, I am disturbed by the implication that "we" ( is there an 'inner circle' that need identify itself?) do not respond to posts by peeps we don't know, like, or agree with. That seems to me to be rather contrary to the concept of an open message board. Information is what is important, is it not? As a relative newcomer I hope for the best from this board.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn it, word is out about the inner circle proletariat. We're taking ourselves a little to seriously. Back to the matrix I go.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:35 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
As a mechanical engineer
Like, is that a Real engineer?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
More importantly, if you don't know what you're talking about (which is most of the time in your case), keep your trap shut and don't mislead with misinformation such as this tidbit:

Since you're such an avid reader, I'm surprised you've never read the saying that it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought wise...than to open it and remove all doubt.
\

Oh God here we go again.

Smarty pants: go do some simple research and learn why cops with laser guns aim at the front plate; reflects laser to a tremendous degree.

Better yet go aim a laser pointer at a plate and learn.

Buh Bye.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 AM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by Le Chef
It wasn't meant as an attack on you but to make a couple of general points about double standards.

When people claim you should "drive it like you stole it" they are often the ones who say they wouldn't buy a car that had been driven like this.

I think this was indirectly written to me. I was trying to make sense to the majority here (which are USA residents who drive with boring speed limits, I lived in USA for 5 years so I know about it). The way I drive is what these cars are made for. I frequently explore speeds above 120 m/h ( sometimes even cruise for 1-2 hours if the traffic permits) Depending on the traffic condition I have to slow down and speed again. I use all the rev range that is in the limitations and etc. That may sound like to drive like you steal it for an USA resident. I take very good care of my cars and treat them like a special someone. I do not want to cause any misunderstandings here so I needed to clarify.

Altough not related to me, I would definitely buy a car that has been tracked if I know the person and the car very well. If the previous owner is into cars and taking very good care of his/her car, why not? I would be much more scared to buy a Posrche from a housewife. Just my opinion
Old 04-26-2006, 04:21 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Item Two - OCben, I'd appreciate it if you'd be more polite. You can disagree with someone without getting belligerent. Insults have no place on these forums and I am disinclined to endure them.

Regards,
Thank you. Maybe there should be a zero-tolerance policy for personal attacks here.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Dear Ben:

I don't spend a lot of time on the Boxster board (it's dead), and I enjoy 997s so I am aware of your various tiffs with other members here.

I don't feel the need to prove a case here, a quick search on your posts shows you're frequently brow beating other members - whether because you've appointed yourself the Deputy of Searches and Membership, because you feel the need to correct others' posts in a condescending manner, or because you feel it's your right to turn a simple question into a self serving haughty treatise on physics.

Someone who thinks they know so much more than everyone else is only showing insecurity and how much they truly need to learn.

Let's return this Board to a friendly, tolerant place owned and enjoyed by all members and enthusiasts.

Another famous quote: "I have no tolerance for intolerance"

Thanks

Last edited by Chris C.; 04-26-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Dear Ben:

I don't spend a lot of time on the Boxster board (it's dead), and I enjoy 997s so I am aware of your various tiffs with other members here.

I don't feel the need to prove a case here, a quick search on your posts shows you're frequently brow beating other members - whether because you've appointed yourself the Deputy of Searches and Membership, because you feel the need to correct others' posts in a condescending manner, or because you feel it's your right to turn a simple question into a self serving haughty treatise on physics.

Someone who thinks they know so much more than everyone else is only showing insecurity and how much they truly need to learn.

Let's return this Board to a friendly, tolerant place owned and enjoyed by all members and enthusiasts.

Another famous quote: "I have no tolerance for intolerance"

Thanks
thanks, in this thread you seem to have done exactly what you have been accusing ben of doing!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Come on guys, we must all get along..........Back to break in. I have owned 3 new Porsches since 1998 and the Boxster, Boxster S as well as the 997 S have all burned a quart or so of oil in the first 2,000 miles. That only means to me that there is a period that it takes to seat the rings. I have driven all three cars close to the recomended rpms even tho the 997S was on the track with 135 miles on the clock I still used 4,000 rpms as a shift point. Other than the RMS problems on the Boxster S the engines have held up with a good deal of track driving.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Dear Ben
Possibly well-intended, but your post did not work out too well, Chris. Read it again and see the obvious hypocrisy (and that's not just because I disagree with its content: I do appreciate Ben's and other deputies' efforts to keep this forum up and running and to keep the information as useful, concise, structured, and non-repetitive as possible).

Anyway, all these little occasional arguments we have... they are always fueled by moods external to this forum and usually have nothing to do with the topics discussed. I'd say, as friends, let's allow each other to vent once in a while and move on. This specific forum is still so much friendlier than anything else on the web.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
thanks, in this thread you seem to have done exactly what you have been accusing ben of doing!
I disagree wholeheartedly. Unlike OCBen's, Chris' post was not meant to insult or show contempt. It was matter of fact and honest; like the truth from a therapist. Check it out again.

Quick Reply: repost