Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Drive it Back or Ship It
Drive
72.82%
Ship
27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Ship or Drive it Across Country (2,100 Miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:10 AM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am picking my up Saturday in San Jose then driving to Napa for a few days and then back to Orange County. I can't wait......
Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GR997S
I am picking my up Saturday in San Jose then driving to Napa for a few days and then back to Orange County. I can't wait......
If you have time, swing by Premier's open house 12-7pm.
You may see some of us there plus a lot of fast cars.
www.premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Road trips are fun but I'd ship it if it were mine. The reason would be to avoid that one hail storm, the one pot ash truck or rock hauler, that one wind storm in the desert. Thirty seconds of damage to the glass or the clear plastic and I'd kick myself for not shipping it.

Now, a Chevy Z06 or something "common" I'd blast straight into the clouds of rock because... hey, who cares it's a Chevy.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Now, a Chevy Z06 or something "common" I'd blast straight into the clouds of rock because... hey, who cares it's a Chevy.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
As for an opposing viewpoint I don't see where anyone has offered a cogent argument yet, so here goes.

To mention nothing of the possibility of shady characters in the Midwest wanting to settle the score for themselves or their relatives for being laid-off from GM or Ford because of Americans not buying American, and taking it out on your new Porsche 911 with the keys to their Blazer or F-150.

But if it's just a car to you, then drive it home. ... If it's a brand new Porsche 911....you know what to do.
LOL well said Ben. BTW I know a guy that was run out of a small town in Iowa just for driving his M3. I am not kidding you. Some of those folks out there are just out of their freaken minds.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Some of those folks out there are just out of their freaken minds.
I know. I'm from the Midwest myself and I know the mentality. My brother works for GM, as well as his daughter. Many of my relatives work for Ford at the local assembly plant, and a cousin-in-law is an executive for Ford in Dearborn.

They think it's sacrilegious to drive anything but American. My buddy from Cleveland, the one with the Z06, will never buy anything but American, even though he lives out here in California where it's the norm to buy foreign.

But back there, they take their loyalties seriously. And I too have heard countless stories of UAW workers walking out of a bar and taking out their frustration on the nearest foreign car. Out of their freakin' minds is right!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:50 PM
David_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Drive it!!!

My wife and I drove from VA to CA via a northern route out and a southern route back and just loved the trip. These cars are great road cars and you'll get a chance to let the legs out a bit. You can get quite a bit of speed out of the 4200 RPM break in recommendation. My trip was 7,350 miles and I have a terrible back and still loved the drive. Go for it!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Is this a trick question? I have logged in excess of 250,000 miles in the 911 Porsche, of various models. There is nothing quite like a GT car for trips. They are comfortable, and roomy enough for your stuff. This is what buying a 911 is all about.

Think about what gas prices will be in 10 years,--and go for it today! (I started driving Porsches when gas was 41 cents a gallon).

dan
Old 04-27-2006, 06:58 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sadly,
it's the naysays whom have never taken a road trip because of all objections that they expound, and believe them to be true, but have never experienced of what they speak

The naysays don't realize what they are missing.

Go out and see America!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well psychos are everywhere, Ben. My wife was just attacked by a guy in SF for not letting him go first at a stop sign. He tailed her for 5 blocks and stopped at a light to punch the car and tried to break the windows. She was actually talking to me when he did this.
I've experienced more than a few unpleasant incidents in crossing the country. I had KKK members drive me out of a bar in Alabama. My NSX was keyed with nasty words in Indiana.
But there were many more great experiences than negative ones. I saw different parts of the country I only read about. In a few small towns, girls were hitting on me just for driving this car (or maybe not ). And I was able to drive my car on many windy roads at all sorts of speeds.
Many things can happen in life so I'd rather live it and let it come get me than hide and never experience anything. Hell I'd have never bought a sports car if I'd listened to my grandfather. Carpe Diem!
Originally Posted by OCBen
I know. I'm from the Midwest myself and I know the mentality. My brother works for GM, as well as his daughter. Many of my relatives work for Ford at the local assembly plant, and a cousin-in-law is an executive for Ford in Dearborn.

They think it's sacrilegious to drive anything but American. My buddy from Cleveland, the one with the Z06, will never buy anything but American, even though he lives out here in California where it's the norm to buy foreign.

But back there, they take their loyalties seriously. And I too have heard countless stories of UAW workers walking out of a bar and taking out their frustration on the nearest foreign car. Out of their freakin' minds is right!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Is this a trick question? I have logged in excess of 250,000 miles in the 911 Porsche, of various models. There is nothing quite like a GT car for trips. They are comfortable, and roomy enough for your stuff. This is what buying a 911 is all about.

Think about what gas prices will be in 10 years,--and go for it today! (I started driving Porsches when gas was 41 cents a gallon).

dan
Ok that roomy statement is really stretching it. I went around europe in Nov and my family had to really squeeze in and I put the luggage in the back with my daughter and the roofrack. The 997 is great for a short trip for 2 but anything longer, it's not big enough.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:28 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Originally Posted by MJones
Sadly,
it's the naysays whom have never taken a road trip because of all objections that they expound, and believe them to be true, but have never experienced of what they speak

The naysays don't realize what they are missing.

Go out and see America!!!!
Mr. Jones, you have made an incorrect assumption about us naysayers. I for one have done more cross-country road trips than you can imagine. I've even crossed the country on two separate occasions on a freakin' motorcycle. My point was that this is not a very good way to break in an engine because you will get tired of varying the engine speed after a while and will give up trying to do so. You used the correct emoticon ( ) in your post.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Drive it
motor break in?
pffffffft
I had a $3400 mountain bike in the back of our rental car and we left it in motel parking lots, and it was there every morning when we came out... and we were staying in cheap places like motel 6....
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

OK, I give, do whatever the hell you want. Tired of this thread anyway.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Drive it
motor break in?
pffffffft
I had a $3400 mountain bike in the back of our rental car and we left it in motel parking lots, and it was there every morning when we came out... and we were staying in cheap places like motel 6....
I don't think criminals have exercise in mind when they steal. They'd rather have cash, phones, cameras etc. You were lucky you didn't have any silly kids looking for a slick bike.

Quick Reply: Ship or Drive it Across Country (2,100 Miles)