Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Drive it Back or Ship It
Drive
72.82%
Ship
27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Ship or Drive it Across Country (2,100 Miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default US-36 notes

Interesting fact:
US-36 follows the route of the Pony Express from St. Joseph, Missouri thru Kansas.
And I thought as I drove the route, these were a different breed of people

Rider Qualifications:

Ad in California newspaper read: "Wanted. Young, skinny, wiry fellows. Not over 18. Must be expert riders. Willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred." Most riders were around 20. Youngest was 11. Oldest was mid-40s. Not many were orphans. Usually weighed around 120 pounds.

US-36 notes:
U.S. Highway 36, which dates back to 1926, with its eastern terminus in Ohio, originally ran out to Denver. It is of an age similar to that of U.S. Highway 66, with its more exciting termini of Chicago and Los Angeles. Like "the 66", it was a long, two-lane blacktop running from the Midwest to the West.
Ironically, 36 has largely survived, while 66 has not, because it was a somewhat less important route, and thus did not need to be supplanted by Interstates on its old roadbed. When the Interstates were pushed west, I-80 was run across southern Nebraska, and I-70 across central Kansas, and old Hwy. 36, lying more or less midway between them, was saved by virtue of its irrelevance.
http://webpages.charter.net/dnance/colorado/hwy36.htm

Take the drive!!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do hope you get to drive the new car accross this beautiful land. I also think clear bar is a great idea. Just installed mine.
Don't forget to pack a few bottles of Mobil One with you. Not all shops carry it and you most likely need it along the way.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:52 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Drive it. I drove mine from the Dallas dealership to Denver. Great "get acquainted time"
Old 04-25-2006, 08:28 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

As much as I'd like to say drive it, I'm going to have to side with Ben on this one (first time for everything). J/K Ben. I just drove from Dallas to Vegas and back. Let me tell you, you WILL attract attention whether on the highway or in the parking lot of a hotel or gas station. I can't imagine that a long drive like this would be the optimal break-in scenario. You won't stop long enough to do a decent cool-down and varying the rpm's will be a pain in the *** and will get old. After about 200 miles you'll be saying f*** this and give up on the varying engine speed thing. This is from someone who LOVES, and I mean LOVES road trips, especially in this car.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
As much as I'd like to say drive it, I'm going to have to side with Ben on this one (first time for everything). J/K Ben.
Wow, Steve! What's the world coming to! . LOL

But hey, you bring up some very valid issues that haven't even been mentioned yet.

Even more reasons to call Intercity!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:14 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Ben, your mailbox is full. I couldn't PM you.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote to drive it. I drove mine from Minneapolis to Seattle.

I shipped my hardtop
Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Definately drive if you have the time. It's a great way to break in the engine quickly.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Drive it, Dariof. In 1987 my Dad and I drove his just-bought, pristine low-mi 1981 Lamborghini Countach from Boston, MA to my parents' home in Michigan. I was in college at the time- and those two days still rank as one of my all-time fondest memories. Not many 12-cylinder 'Bull mechanics named Giuseppe along that route, but the car ran flawlessly. I remember us getting some strange looks at the Bonanza Steak House, but no unusual onlooker behavior other than reverence for the car. Hotels will let you park off to the side of the front door drop-off/fire lane if you ask. Get clear bra'd at the dealer before departing if possible. OCBen makes a good point- and the first stone pockmark is always a psychological gut-buster--- infrequent yet unavoidable fact of life if Nevada desert highway will be your regular commute.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

OCBen needs to get out and drive his car a bit more and go somewhere other than the neighborhood.

Break-in RPM flexability is simple: just vary speed between 70MPH (2800rpm) - 111MPH (4200rpm).
Take her up to 5200 in 6th if your feeling friskey for a spell.

In 22,500 mi I've consumed <2qt of Mobil One and I attribute it to the long run x-country break-in.
Had the same success with my 996 as well.

Do the road trip....nothing to fear,
America is Beautiful
Old 04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have to say that in my driving experience, traffic will allow you to vary the RPM all the time. 18 wheelers, merging and slower traffic all force you to leave the cruise speed at one time or another. The varying the RPM advice doesn't mean change 2000 rpm every 5 minutes. And the only way to avoid stone chips, bird droppings, tickets, on-lookers is to leave it in the garage. And I doubt that's why you bought the car.
I appreciate that some people want to baby the car as a pride and joy. But some others like myself will take a stone chip here and there because I like to drive, and drive it hard. It is a car, a very nice car that needs to be driven.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MJones
OCBen needs to get out and drive his car a bit more and go somewhere other than the neighborhood.
Hey, what are you talking about, I drive it every weekend. In fact, I just put 3000 miles on the clock this last weekend. One of these days I'll take her out on a long road trip....to San Diego.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:38 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can spare the time, I say drive it. Yeah, you'll get it dirty and probably pick up some scuffs and even a rock chip or two, but it will be an experience you'll never forget. I just recommend you take LOTS (like 600+ ) of pictures of it BEFORE you drive home because it won't look any better than it does then.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Ben, your mailbox is full. I couldn't PM you.
Sorry Steve, I'll go tend to it now. I get a bit overwhelmed and can't answer all my mail on time and it does tend to accumulate. Sorry.

For those waiting a reply from me, my apologies. I promise to answer this week. I usually like to give a thorough, well thought out reply instead of a short terse impersonal response, and so it takes me some time to do each one justice. Sorry.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ronmart
I just recommend you take LOTS (like 600+ ) of pictures of it BEFORE you drive home because it won't look any better than it does then.
LOL .. Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: Ship or Drive it Across Country (2,100 Miles)