Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Drive it Back or Ship It
Drive
72.82%
Ship
27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Ship or Drive it Across Country (2,100 Miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 101 Posts

Drive it. Likely you will not ever have such a time to 'bond' with the car (have a co driver to share the driving and time will fly). I picked up my car in Jackson, MS and drove back to Phonenix. 1500 miles in 22 hours driving. The 1st day, we (my brother and I) drove about 15 hours straight, except for gas stops. The car is amazing, when in the passenger seat, I read the manual, and got a chance to 'play' with the PCM. We burnt 3 mp3 discs and that was more than enough for the drive. For the 1st 1000 miles we did an agressive job varying the RPM's and speed (4th to 4200 rpm, 5th to 4200 rpm and when clear, 6th to 4200 rpm, then engine braked backwards). Repeatedly did this on and off.

We rented season 1 of 24, and when in the passenger seat we would take turns going through the episodes (on a laptop with headphones). Heck, at times when it was time to fill up gas (and switch drivers) the show was so addictive that we would skip a turn driving just to keep watching the show (especially when it was dark outside). Time passes by quickly, and the only regret that I have was that if my wife was willing I would have taken her and slowly driven back, visiting all the places in between, along with bigger detours, as there was nothing to do/see on the way back (Texas is a big state, but Interstate 20 is boring as hell especially from Dallas to El Paso) apart from driving straight.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james4513
I drove mine from Miami to Austin - about 1,500 miles. It was great fun for a couple of hours, then work. Ship it.
That route hardly compares to a drive from Cleveland to Nevada. If he takes the right route, he could cross some beautiful countryside/scenery.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deven
(Texas is a big state, but Interstate 20 is boring as hell especially from Dallas to El Paso)
Been there, done that. I second that comment.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I drove my euro delivery from Stuttgart to France via Croatia and Italy.I broke it in before I hit the ring at mile 2100. It's brilliant as a GT, even with a kid in tow and a roof rack.
If you have the time, you should drive of course.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

If he takes the right route, he could cross some beautiful countryside/scenery.
Okay. Driving home seems to get the nod.

Any route suggestions? Earlier US 36 was mentioned. I did research for that route, but have more research to do as far as what type of highway that is. I would like some varying speed highways giving oportunity to stop in towns along the way. This will allow for a great break-in opportunity.

Any suggestions for routes? Below are some options I have worked out. The route in yellow is US 36 to 70 to 15, while the red route is Hwy 80 to 70 to 15.

http://forums.Hrennlist.com/rennforu...d=113040&stc=1
Attached Images  

Last edited by Dariof; 04-25-2006 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added Map
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea, get a clear bra on it first - THEN DRIVE IT HOME!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:34 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

And for a route - you wanna avoid Kansas - go south towards Tennesse and then take 40 across. Drove this route many times from Pensacola to El Centro...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First: Go to AAA and get a US Road Map
Makes finding routes easier!

Heres a couple of choices I've driven:
US 36 to 385S to I-70 to US 24 to Colorado Springs
US-25 S to Waldenberg, CO
Then US-160 W thru the Colorado Mtns (Spectacular) to US-89 S
From Tuba City you can proceed to Flagstaff of detour thru the Grand Canyon Village (recommended) and on to Williams, AZ.
Then I-40 to Kingman and grab US-93 on to Vegas.

Another Route:
I-70 to Lawrence, KS
Take I-35 (Kansas Turnpike) to Wichita
From there US-54 to Tucumcari, NM (US 54 in NM is one of the finest roads I've driven in the country...Smooth, straight and you can open her up!).
In Tucumcari you hook up with I-40.
Stop, drive thru the Painted Desert, take some pics.
Hook up with US-93 and home.

The thing about US Hwys is that you will pass thru Towns, some as small as a postage stamp, every so often. Speed zone ahead...
sometimes as slow as 25mph. Not bad, however OBEY the speed zones! as the revenue agents of the town may be watching. Same holds true for the Construction Zones...OBEY the posted limits.

A couple of tips:
Use the Rest Areas, let the toxins out.

Sit bit more up-right and let the back of the seat do it's job supporting you.

Wear ear-plugs, sounds strange but at the end of the day you'll be glad that you did, no head buzzing from general road noise. (bring some anyway and give them a try) The little yellow foam ones at Home Depot work well! No effect upon listening to tunes.

There will be sections of road where tire noise will be unbelievable depending upon the aggregate used upon the road surface.

Have a great journey!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SHIP IT, DON'T DRIVE IT HOME.

As for an opposing viewpoint I don't see where anyone has offered a cogent argument yet, so here goes.

First of all, a new Porsche 911 is not just a car. Let's all be clear on that. A Toyota is "just a car." A Chevrolet is "just a car." ... But a Porsche 911 is a special breed apart from all others, that upon merely hearing the name alone sends shivers down our backs. Why else would we eagerly fork over the big bucks to possess one?

Second of all, after spending said big bucks on this synergistic perfection of advanced engineering and sculpted art form, one would, in their right mind, want to protect and preserve this perfect state for as long as possible in order to maximize and extend the pleasure associated with owning a brand new Porsche 911.

That said, the conclusions are obvious. If I had just ordered my dream car I would not want to take the risk of picking up stone chips on the paint or possibly getting a cracked windshield from the many unavoidable gravel and farm trucks seen along the highways of the Midwest. And I would not want to run the risk of parking my new Porsche 911 in the parking lot of a motel where someone can park next to it with the family car and possibly ding the sides as they fling open their doors, eager to get out to stretch their legs after a long trip and start hauling out their luggage. And being tired from the trip they may not be especially careful to avoid accidentally hitting their luggage against the side of your new Porsche 911.

To mention nothing of the possibility of shady characters in the Midwest wanting to settle the score for themselves or their relatives for being laid-off from GM or Ford because of Americans not buying American, and taking it out on your new Porsche 911 with the keys to their Blazer or F-150.

But if it's just a car to you, then drive it home. ... If it's a brand new Porsche 911....you know what to do.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:52 PM
drbf
Pro

Drive it! It will also give you a chance to play with the Navigation System.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's your chance to break it in concervatively,--although you DO want to vary speeds a lot during this period. I have driven my Porsches cross-country many times and it is a great thing to do. On one of my trips I drove from Oklahoma City to Colorado Springs, to Eugene, Oregon and all on back roads,--you can sort of make a sport of it--AVOIDING the freeways! I continued the trip south to Santa Barbara, CA. Some of the USA's best roads are the roads that existed in the early 1960s,--beforethe interstates came along.

Dan
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure I'd like to see you ship it with us, Intercity. But...Drive it if you have the time. Get off the Interstates and have lunch in a small town along the way.

America is a beautiful Country!
1-800-221-3936 x205
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com

'69 MBZ 6.3
'16 Cayenne
'32 Ford highboy, Cadillac powered
Old 04-25-2006, 01:39 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

I say ship it. It might be novel for the first 200 miles but after that it will just suck. Not to mention @ $0.38/mile @ 2100 miles = $800.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure I'd like to see you ship it with us, Intercity.
If I do ship it, it will definitely be InterCity. I spoke to your company a couple of days ago, obtained a price quote, and watched your web site video on how you load cars.

First class all the way.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it if you have a couple of days vacation. I did with the significant other (wife) from Orlando/Miami/Key West/Clear Water/Tampa/Orlando! No regrets (great food, sex, and yea the driving was nice... I mean driving the P-car)

Quick Reply: Ship or Drive it Across Country (2,100 Miles)