Sponsored by:

Problem with high speed cornering

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Problem with high speed cornering

I am wondering whether anyone has experienced this: During cornering at high speed (around 60/70mph), the car seems to keep going straight and to the outer edge of the turn rather than towards the direction of the turn. Is this the so-called "understeer"? I thought the 997 should not have a lot of understeer?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:10 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

yes. that is understeer. some time on the track will cure that though.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:21 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfans
I am wondering whether anyone has experienced this: During cornering at high speed (around 60/70mph), the car seems to keep going straight and to the outer edge of the turn rather than towards the direction of the turn. Is this the so-called "understeer"? I thought the 997 should not have a lot of understeer?
so you were cornering at 60 to 70 mph (where?) and kept going straight?
you ran off the track or the road you were on?
were you trying a skidpad like test on the road?

Last edited by icon; 04-20-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 285 Posts

Slow in fast out with a 911. Do a search on handling and you will find extensive discussion of rear engine handling dynamics. I strongly suggest you get some driving instruction on a track before you bend the car or worse. At a minimum, read the book Going Faster by the Skip Barber School
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A proper alignment can help minimize that effect--i.e. try increasing the front camber and/or decreasing the rear camber. Furthermore, your front/rear toe may be exaggerating the effect. Bring it to a competent/performance alignment shop can see what they can do.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:31 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfans
Enroll in Porsche Driving School asap. Check tire pressures in meantime. I have yet to feel understeer on road in 997.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that recent Porsches have tended toward "benign" understeer (versus the old tail-out happiness of the 964, and to some extent, the 993) - and of course much of that is thanks to PSM...

But I can't call my C4S an understeer-er by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, I have to reign in my steering inputs to keep the rear in line... of course, I have the luxury of AWD to assist my sloppy technique.

Agree with gpjli2; check your tires asap - maybe take the pressures to the full load spec on the doorsill sticker?

And where's the 70mph corner you're talking about? I'd like to try that one myself... <g>

Good luck!

-don
Old 04-20-2006, 03:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look Where You Want To Go!

Really hard to comment...what is the radius of this corner...any corner at too high a speed you will tend to push out, perhaps you are just driving too fast.

Sign-up for PDE !!
You'll understand alot more if you attend
and have the answer to your own question...
Old 04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

There is no substitute for practice on a closed track, with instruction.

In the meantime, both the April and May 2006 issues of 911 and Porsche World (UK) magazine contain 'how to drive your 911' articles- a decent, rudimentary discussion of 911 chassis dynamics. The April issue addresses rear-engined polar moment of inertia, oversteer & understeer and weight transfer topics. The magazine itself is not usually on my 'must-have' list of monthly Porsche lit, but these articles are worth a read if interested in this subject (no affiliation).
http://www.porschemagazine.co.uk/911pt3.html
Old 04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Try 10-25 percent more braking effort just before you go into the turn and apply 10-25 percent more power in the turn at the apex. I noticed too when I switch from a 986 S. You'll adapt quickly. PDE or track time doesn't hurt as well, but in the mean time just pick a road with no one around and with a shoulder. In a month, you'll be lovin' it.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Superfans,
All Porsches (with the possible exception of the CGT) understeer. With instruction and practice, you will learn to take maximal advantage of the capabilities of the car. In your specific example, you will need to learn to use either the brake or engine-braking to shift weight forward to maximize front grip. It's easier to have someone show you than figure it out by yourself.
It's probably fair to say that if you are figuring this out for the first time on an open road, you are possibly in a bit over your head.
The simple description of what to do is this:
If you think you are going in fast enough to understeer, you gently use the brake to bring weight to the nose and turn in. Only when the car is turned and you are sure you will make the corner do you get back on the gas. Good luck. AS
Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Alex- teaching trail braking at this stage .. hmm
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Get to a track and get some instruction.

With a few pointers on TTO and trailbraking, you will not believe what these cars are capable of.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I found a great way to train on handling understeer: put a winter tire set on your car!!!!! My winter Contis served their purpose well but they added a pretty good understeer to my car.
With the regular set up, I can 'find' understeer which is very controllable - the translation of feeling 'light' and being able to control it comes thru the steering wheel really nicely. I've also found that if the tires are cold (like on a typical commute) that the understeer is majorly exaggerated.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I've driven a 996TT before and that doesn't seem to have a problem. Maybe it was the 4wd which helps alot.

Quick Reply: Problem with high speed cornering