Sponsored by:

Theory: Blacks Cars and Garage Queens

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theory: Blacks Cars and Garage Queens

Are black cars more likely to become garage queens?
After driving the hell out of a 996 Polar Silver, I ventured into Basalt Black territory. Now, I am spending more time cleaning/waxing than I ever did with the PS. The other day, I thought twice about taking the BB out for a ride because the weather was not great and did not feel like having to wash the car again (I would have never thought of this with the PS).
So...are black cars (with their propensity to show all the dirt) more likely to become garage queens?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:45 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think so. When I had a black car, I never took it out, if there was a slim chance of rain.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I hate to admit it, but there may be a bit of truth to that statement. I assume after a while it won't matter. It does take a while to clean it to perfection, silver is pretty forgiving.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
vtach88
Advanced

true! true! true! As a former black car owner, I'll never go back. I'm too neurotic for black. Now, I'm enjoying my Arctic Silver car - and it "appears" to stay cleaner for a longer period of time. Also, my paint shampoo/cleanser/wax regimen time has been cut nearly in half.

In other words - more time to drive the damn thing!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nicoff
Are black cars more likely to become garage queens?
After driving the hell out of a 996 Polar Silver, I ventured into Basalt Black territory. Now, I am spending more time cleaning/waxing than I ever did with the PS. The other day, I thought twice about taking the BB out for a ride because the weather was not great and did not feel like having to wash the car again (I would have never thought of this with the PS).
So...are black cars (with their propensity to show all the dirt) more likely to become garage queens?
my new triple black cab has gotten the most miles of any sports car i have owned so far....if we get rain then so be it...the nice thing about a cab is it takes just a few minutes for a quick was and dry....also, a california dust mop is great for dust and pollin on the car..makes it look just washed....
Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Nonsense.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:59 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive this car more than I used to drive my blue g35 even with all this socal rain. It does take forever to get it just right and it barely stays that clean long enough to reap the rewards, but hell if it gets dirty then so be it, nothing can stop me from driving this beast out in the world for all to drool and envy over. I love this porsche and no good p-car should be banished to the garage to sit.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

guilty as charged; although my hesitation probably comes from not wanting to commute with the psycho commuters in d.c. who feel the need to tailgate every second. i'm not as particular about the car looking perfect although pristine black is beautiful and i have fallen into the camp of not driving it on wet roads or in the rain; mainly because it means i'll have to clean it. the california duster is a great time saver and with 3 black vehicles, believe me i know...i have a silver h2 and there's no question that hides the dust/dirt alot better.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 AM
drbf
Pro

looks great when clean but this is my last black car.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:05 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, some truth. Personally I try to be not too overly **** about detailing so that I enjoy driving more.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Moogle
Race Car

hell no

Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Errr no. I put more miles on my black S than any of my other porsches in the first 6 mths of ownership. So I'm not one of those GQs.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:28 AM
duydle
8th Gear

It depends if the car is already dirty and needs to be washed. In Seattle, it rains about 7 months out of the year so you pretty much have no choice. But during the summer, it's the most beautiful place in the country. If I just washed my car, I would hesitate to take it out if I knew the weather was going to be bad. But if it's already dirty, no hesitation to make even more dirty!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:16 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

My 1969 SS big block Camaro is Black with white SS stripes. The paint on this car is amazing. Pics do it no justice at all. It always looks clean and I have never seen dirt on it yet. I only take it out if the sun is up. It is a true "Garage Queen". My Arctic Silver 997S goes out a lot more often for sure, plus this Camaro wakes up the entire neighborhood when it goes down the block

MHC2S
2005 997S Arctic/black
1969 Camaro SS Big Block Black/black
Attached Images   
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tarpon1
guilty as charged; although my hesitation probably comes from not wanting to commute with the psycho commuters in d.c. who feel the need to tailgate every second. i'm not as particular about the car looking perfect although pristine black is beautiful and i have fallen into the camp of not driving it on wet roads or in the rain; mainly because it means i'll have to clean it. the california duster is a great time saver and with 3 black vehicles, believe me i know...i have a silver h2 and there's no question that hides the dust/dirt alot better.
i agree withthe duster and the d.c. traffic and looney commuters...and lets not forget about the many huge trucks on 495 throwing off rocks and stones and debris, not to mention driving recklessly!!!!

Quick Reply: Theory: Blacks Cars and Garage Queens