Sponsored by:

Bad Evo motorsports experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:48 AM
NITEALB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Evo motorsports experience

Hi all, well i'cve got a 997 s and decided to get it supercharged using the evolution motorsports syupercharger kit. having already purchased and insatlled the big brake kit, cold air intake and headers/giac flash (from evo) i fgured that this was the next step. My tuning shop ordered the kit and after several delays informed me that it had arrived. first off, the evo kit included no instructions for the techs to get started with. worse off, there were no bloody clamps! well after kit was installed it was time to flash the ecu with the new programming. no the good bit. apparently the prgram sent from evo (in conjunction GIAC) was either wrong or outdated. exactly how this happens in a new product is beyond me. i've seen a couple of articles from porsche magazines from the evo website indicating how great the car felt after the supercharger was installed. the problem appeared to be somthing to do with a big hesitaion in throttle response in the lower rpm range. Having spent over a week waiting for new program to arrive i decided to call evo motorsports directly and i spoke to mike. he kindly informed me that evoms stands behind all there products and this "glitch" was being rectified as we speak! i was told their guy was at giac on the dyno with their test car sorting out the bugs. well after getting completely frustrated by all this i've told the tuning shop to remove all the s/c kit and send it all back to evoms. its transpired today that evoms told my tuning guys that the s/c wasn't supposed to be shipped until after may 1st. then why are evoms adverting the product in magazines and their website when the product isn't fully complete, i.e faulty programming, no clamps or instructions? this is beyond me and i'd have to say that in my opinion its disgusting. the level of customer care at evoms has been below par and i hope that no one else has this experience. end of rant, thanks for reading.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Signal-9
Advanced

???

but there are other 997 customers with the EVO S/c already installed for months now..
Old 04-14-2006, 09:36 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike is not lying. We actually have two cars here that we are finishing the tuning for. In conjunction with EVO/VF and GIAC we have spent several days dealing with tuning.

Why was the kit released, it is complete. The unknown issue was the hesitation, which has been fixed. If anyone is in AZ I am sure Todd will give a test ride in his 997.

The second issue which we ran into was the ECU numbers. There are two physically different ECUs. They can not use the same program. This was not known at the time and since has created an immediate need to retune the car with the new hardware. Unfortunately the ME7.8 is much more complicated then the 7.2 and is not an overnight procedure. I would urge you to hang tight as we are all dealing with the issue as fast as we can and it is top priority for all those involved. Unfortunately no one could foresee the different hardware issue at the time the kits were sent out.

Hope this helps to explain.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:17 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't feel sorry for anyone that takes a 997S and supercharges it and then cries about problems. You should have never touched a perfect motor like that to begin with. Not fast enough for you? get X-51, new GT3, or better yet get the new 997 Turbo. In the meantime have fun with your Evo mess up.
I wounder if your Porsche factory warrenty will cover this one ???
Old 04-16-2006, 03:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I don't feel sorry for anyone that takes a 997S and supercharges it and then cries about problems. You should have never touched a perfect motor like that to begin with. Not fast enough for you? get X-51, new GT3, or better yet get the new 997 Turbo. In the meantime have fun with your Evo mess up.
I wounder if your Porsche factory warrenty will cover this one ???
Down Boy!

Yeah, it is interesting that we are seeing a bunch of questions from guys who think that the Porsche engineers are just stupid and lazy. Buying all manner of aftermarket goodie and being disappointed.

These are the fellows who designed the motor. They are not ungifted. Aftermarket guys are not suddenly so smart that they know how to do it better. In fact, the opposite is likely true, they know less. If 40 extra HP was only a few thousand away, it would be included or an option.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I would not be so quick to critizite someone who wants to upgrade their Porsche. One theme I have noticed on Rennlist is the N/A guys are much less receptive to mods and are more warranty concious. Turbo guys on the other hand are mod freaks. You would never have a comment on the turbo forum saying "You should have never touched a perfect motor like that to begin with."
We all have a different view of perfect. If a guy wants to put a SC on his 997 great. Many people have used the EVO kit on 997's & 996's and had great success.
Lets not rip someone because they don't fit into our version of the perfect P-car.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Sorry to hear about your woes. I have to admit that I'm really surprised the kit didn't come with installation instructions. To me it seems Evoms has developed a pretty good reputation among the different p-car forums out there,...maybe it's still a bit early on the SC thing.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:04 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

I'm not saying i've had problems with the running of the car after mods. its just that the mods weren't ready for sale but were still sold, that was my original gripe. if the motor blows up after two months then i'll hold up my hands and say that was an expensive experiment and i'll learn for next time, thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
mquattrone
7th Gear

Why all the negativity about upgrades? Half of the messages on the Rennlist Discussion Forums contain questions and discussions from fellow Porsche owners looking for a way to make their cars just a little different than the next guys. Some want a different sound, lighter wheels and yes, more speed. Just two weeks ago MHC2S, you were sold on purchasing a PSE.

While it is unfortunate that Nitelab and others are having problems with their recent supercharger orders from Evolution Motorsports, you have to remember that behind every new product, is a long line of people who have worked hard to get that product to market. For example, VF-Engineering makes the Superchargers and many of the parts in the installation kit, GAIC reprograms the computers to take advantage of all the new power and Evolution Motorsports brings everything together and provides a nice package.

From what I read, the supercharger in question isn't a "few thousand" dollar, 40 HP addition. It's $15,000 (installed), providing an additional 140 HP and 80 lb of torque. No, it's not a 997 Turbo but a the moment Porsche doesn't make a 997 Turbo Cabriolet and until they do, I will consider the Evolution Motorsports Supercharger an excellent alternative.

With all that said, I am sure Evolution Motorsports will go above and beyond by taking care of all those leading edge (bleeding edge) customers waiting for a complete kit.

I for one, can't wait to get one!

Michael
Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 PM
steve775
Instructor

What a serious pain that sounds like, I am soooo glad I have not touched my 911 S and it remains stock.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mquattrone
Why all the negativity about upgrades? Half of the messages on the Rennlist Discussion Forums contain questions and discussions from fellow Porsche owners looking for a way to make their cars just a little different than the next guys. Some want a different sound, lighter wheels and yes, more speed. Just two weeks ago MHC2S, you were sold on purchasing a PSE.

Michael
Bolting on a factory PSE strait out of my dealer doesn't exaclty void my 997S warranty or possibly destroy a motor in the future. I would have ordered PSE with my car, but I bought mine used with 5,000miles on it. What I'm doing is barley even a mod compared to what your doing. I just can't understand people that do all these heavy duty aftermarket stuff and then complain they have problems. Look what you did??

With this said in the end it is Your car so to each his own. You bought it and you have every right to do what you want.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve775
What a serious pain that sounds like, I am soooo glad I have not touched my 911 S and it remains stock.
Me too, I only install Porsche factory parts that belong on the car and don't void the factory warranty.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 PM
The B
Racer

My 997s is a daily driver, I NEEDED that warranty or another car... I am currently shopping for more power in terms of Gallardo or 997 TT depending on how my summer goes. I can totally see the need for a little more speed with a car this capable!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:11 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Non factory installed parts does not void the warranty as someone mentioned above. I just had the complete AWE system (headers, cats and mufflers) and my dealer was fine with it since it isn't an engine mod. There are some light mods that are very effective and can give you some nice gains...
Old 04-18-2006, 07:45 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Synergy.... GIAC or S/c a car will void the Warranty. period... to the extent is up to Porsche/ dealer... i have done plenty of Mods to my cars ... how thinkgs effect other things is all up to the dealer looking at it. you could say A S/C only effect the motor but if transmission problems occour they could say from the extra HP and touque from S/C...

it is up to the owner of the car! i love the idea of doing things for personal taste i hope he gets all bugs worked out. i modified my 997 with 1500 miles on it,...

i do think it is responsible if you do do major mods to inform potential buyers what you have done to let them make the choice to buy you " modded " car....

couldnt imagine buying a flashed car or a car etc.... only to find out motor warranty was void????

Good luck Nightlb ...let us know how the car pulls once it is sorted.

Quick Reply: Bad Evo motorsports experience