Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i disconnected the pse from sport button

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

The electrical connector on the 997S X51 is on the driver side just behind the air filter box intake.
You can find it by looking for the vacuum lines that all lead to the little unit with the electrical connector on the top side.
After unplugging this, I used a male and female connector from Porsche to plug up each end to prevent water from entering.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:31 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FL Porsche
The electrical connector on the 997S X51 is on the driver side just behind the air filter box intake.
You can find it by looking for the vacuum lines that all lead to the little unit with the electrical connector on the top side.
After unplugging this, I used a male and female connector from Porsche to plug up each end to prevent water from entering.
Do you have a pic, link and/or part number? I'd like to find out more info so I can get some for mine.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Connectors

Great idea on using connectors to protect both of the disconnected ends. Do you know the part numbers or what should I ask for from the parts department? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sport exhaust connectors

Unfortunately I do not know the part number. The mechanic in shop took them from a bin and put them on. Note, these are the same connectors that are on the car. So, all that you would need to do is look at the plug/connector when you unplug it. Or, when you go to the dealer, have them look at them and look them up on the parts dept. Enjoy the new sound!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:03 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbonds
i took the advice from people here and disconnected the wire in the back (with orange connector). the exhaust defintely sounds louder and stays on all the time..i think i like it this way.

it took about 3 seconds

Just want to make sure that this isnt hurting anything...anyone know for sure?

i guess if a problem develops i can reconnect before taking to dealer
Someone please help me

Where is the thread that describes this process please.
[I have been trying to search for this but only found this thread so far.]

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FL Porsche
Hm

I'll go back and look again but I thought mine was on the passenger side of my C4S.

I would think some good wraps with black "electrician's" tape and anchorment would work at least as well as blank connectors which are not waterproof.

But what do I know???
Old 04-10-2006, 04:12 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allegretto
Hm

I'll go back and look again but I thought mine was on the passenger side of my C4S.

I would think some good wraps with black "electrician's" tape and anchorment would work at least as well as blank connectors which are not waterproof.

But what do I know???
it is on the left side for X51 and the right for non-X51 cars. It is very easy to find for non-X51, but is a little more obscure for X51's.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

The ultimate solution to me is to clip one of the wires between the connector that you're removing to get the default higher sound and wire in a switch at the dash that will allow you to remotely (from the cockpit) 'disconnect the guidance signal from the car to the valve controller, effectively giving you the ultimate control over the sound output all the time, especially if you have the Chrono device AND the PSE. Then, you will have to engage the sportier setting on the car and then engage this new 'switch' that you have routed the wires to. I plan to buy one of the factory switches (that has a pictoral of the exhaust on it) and install it on my console.

Dan
Old 04-10-2006, 07:20 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The ultimate solution to me is to clip one of the wires between the connector that you're removing to get the default higher sound and wire in a switch at the dash that will allow you to remotely (from the cockpit) 'disconnect the guidance signal from the car to the valve controller, effectively giving you the ultimate control over the sound output all the time, especially if you have the Chrono device AND the PSE. Then, you will have to engage the sportier setting on the car and then engage this new 'switch' that you have routed the wires to. I plan to buy one of the factory switches (that has a pictoral of the exhaust on it) and install it on my console.

Dan
Why is that better? You risk voiding the warranty for clipping wires and is it really that hard to open the rear bay and plug the PSE back in when you want to control it up front? It takes 5 seconds and the best part is that you can restore it before you take your car in for service and the dealership has no idea you've ever tinkered with it.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM
drbf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ronmart, I agree it is so easy to re-attach the connector when you take car
in for service.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Someone please help me

Where is the thread that describes this process please.
[I have been trying to search for this but only found this thread so far.]

Thanks,
Greg
Greg - the link below shows the electronic connection you need to disconnect in a 997 in order to have PSE "on" (in loud mode) all of the time. Hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...71&postcount=5
Old 04-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Ian C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous 996 02 model had factory fitted PSE - but there was no on/off switch - it was in noisy mode all the time but I believe Porsche changed to a switcheable system for 03MY to meet noise regulations. So, as it was on all the time on those 996's I can't see why having a 997 PSE in noisy mode full time should do any harm unless there is a fundamental difference between 996 and 997 systems ?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
Greg - the link below shows the electronic connection you need to disconnect in a 997 in order to have PSE "on" (in loud mode) all of the time. Hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...71&postcount=5
TY so much, I could not find this post before!!

Ill take some pix of my x51 and post it for the x51 folks since it appears to be different on the x51 cars.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Porsche isn't going to 'void a warranty' for anything as simple as that. It has nothing to do with the running of the engine or tranny,--it's simply an acoustics thing. The advantage of wiring in an alternate switch is that you can control that on the run, and not be forced to pop the hood and fiddle around in there, and then go take off again.

Dan
Old 04-11-2006, 11:18 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

So I disconnected this [see picture] and then my car would not start. I put it back on and now sport mode is not selectable!!

HELP!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: so i disconnected the pse from sport button