Sponsored by:

Mounting a camcorder in a Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:05 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounting a camcorder in a Cabriolet

I'd like to mount my camcorder in my car using some non-permanent, not damaging way so I can capture a spirited drive on my favorite road and some time at the track later this year.

Has anyone come up with a good technique for doing this? Can it work in a cabriolet?

I'd love thave some device that connects to the two headrests and suspends the camera between them so you can get a drivers eye view of the cockpit and the road at the same time. However, I don't want to invent my own for fear of shooting the camera off like a slingshot, or having it do massive damage to my car during a fast stop.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I can't help you, but that's a question I would definitely also post in the Off Topic forum. Some of those guys are really creative.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ron - PM LVDell over on the 996 Forum. He has a cab and, if I recall correctly, he mounted a vid camera for track use.

Last edited by gota911; 04-01-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Ron - PM LVDell over on the 996 Forum. He has a cab and, if I recall correctly, he mounted a vid camera fro track use.
Awesome - thanks!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:39 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I have the perfect solution. Its hard to find, but a suction cup type camera mount that is used for making movies can be stuck onto the front wind shield.

It should cost about $300 or $400 for a good one and for me, it has worked like a champ
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

ronmart.....got your PM. I have a great solution for you. Right now I am in the middle of a movie with the wifey and can't spend too much time online but if you email me I can get you some pics, etc. and discuss what I did. I'll get to your email first thing in the morning. Anything to help out a fellow CAB club member!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

FYI....that pic in my avitar is a screen shot from in car video form my CAB at a track event.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
ronmart.....got your PM. I have a great solution for you. Right now I am in the middle of a movie with the wifey and can't spend too much time online but if you email me I can get you some pics, etc. and discuss what I did. I'll get to your email first thing in the morning. Anything to help out a fellow CAB club member!
Are you guys using the video camera? That's serious Rennlist dedication to post during your shoot.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by riad
Are you guys using the video camera? That's serious Rennlist dedication to post during your shoot.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
MMD
Banned

Just a suggestion, try it and judge for yourself. Get your tripod and mess with legs until you get them onto something solid in the back (two on floor, one on back tunnel). Shove some blankets etc. down on the floor around the tripod legs to help hold them there. Use upper door column seatbelt bolt attachment points to attach wire to secure tripod head laterally. Use kid restraints on back deck to secure front and back with wire. Probably not crashproof and takes some effort but it you're only going to do it once or twice... .
Old 04-01-2006, 12:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MMD
Just a suggestion, try it and judge for yourself. Get your tripod and mess with legs until you get them onto something solid in the back (two on floor, one on back tunnel). Shove some blankets etc. down on the floor around the tripod legs to help hold them there. Use upper door column seatbelt bolt attachment points to attach wire to secure tripod head laterally. Use kid restraints on back deck to secure front and back with wire. Probably not crashproof and takes some effort but it you're only going to do it once or twice... .
NO WAY THIS WILL EVER PASS TECH AT THE TRACK!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:40 PM
drr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a helmet cam for my son to wear while he was skiing. It connects to the camcorder and has many different ways to attach it to either helmets or other surafces. I bought it on Ebay and was not too expensive.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 PM
DMin
Instructor

I used the Hoyt Helmet/Car Camera system during my most recent track excursion. It doesn't allow an over-the-shoulder view in a cabriolet, but it works in other areas, like attached to the front spoiler or front/rear fenders. You can also do a PIP with a second camera pointed, say, at your feet to show off your fancy heel-and-toeing.

Build quality was good, reliable for the few times I have used it so far, but the GPS unit lags badly, so the data it overlays onto the screen is rarely accurate. That so far is the only downside to the unit I have noticed.

D.Min
Tulsa, OK
Old 04-01-2006, 12:58 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by LVDell
NO WAY THIS WILL EVER PASS TECH AT THE TRACK!
True since no engineers, bolts or welds are used. Would be fine (if it even works while parked) for Ronmart's favorite road. Key thing is to use seatbelt bolt points and kid seat attachment points to stablize t-pod head.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:45 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Actually I have the perfect solution. Its hard to find, but a suction cup type camera mount that is used for making movies can be stuck onto the front wind shield.

It should cost about $300 or $400 for a good one and for me, it has worked like a champ
Ouch, that is as much as my camcorder cost!

Quick Reply: Mounting a camcorder in a Cabriolet