Sponsored by:

Forbes Top 10 High Resale Value Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Regarding the Mini (OCBEN...I think you said you ordered one), great little car. It's a real hoot to drive- torquey little thing. I got the Cooper S Conv. with the factory JCW at first only because I knew it was a car I would lose less money on. After 8 months, I think I'll hang onto it. It's a very cheap car inside though...plastic parts that snap and break easy.

Nick-

Man I grew to hate BMW because of it's owners. Great cars, but I'd have a hard time buying one because of all the people I've known who own one. I shutter to think I'm this shallow, but you alone have just about turned me off to Ferrari.

You are aware that Ferrari is aggressively seeking to increase production with a new multi-purpose plant in Modena and new developments in the Middle East. I grow tired of people talking about Porsche's glory days when they cared about the customer. They, as with any other successful company, care both about the customer as well as trying to learn to do business in a rapidly changing global economy. "Things aren't run the way they used to"....no ****. Today's world isn't even close to the same business climate as it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I should be preaching to the choir here. Ferrari would love to actually turn a profit year after year and not be bought, sold and refinanced over and again by Fiat, the Middle East, etc, etc. "Ferrari Red!!"....same color as their financial records.
What does my opinion about Porsche have to do with Ferrari? Ferrari corporate philosophy is grounded in exclusivity. There is no way your going to see mass production like Porsche. Even Porsche is becoming sensitive to the ubiquity of Porsche's. They have announced they will limit production of the Turbo to 4000 per year. Of course, given what they did to the CGT, I doubt they will abide by the commitment.

You dislike of cars because of the people who owned them is not good. From our prior interaction your not shallow. You just need to be more understanding and not blindly pro Porsche.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:24 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You dislike of cars because of the people who owned them is not good. From our prior interaction your not shallow. You just need to be more understanding and not blindly pro Porsche.
Yes, but....each time I think I have you figured out, you come out with some very strange comments and posts. Your opinions aren't unique and I'm sure that they're a lot of people who share them. The difference, I suppose, is that they just don't bother to continually express them again and again in a forum they know is going to incite criticism. I have to admit that I did indulge a bit when I test drove the M5 for about an hour and truly didn't like it. I defiinitely reveled in letting fan(atic)s on BMW forums know of my dislike for their car. But that was one post and I didn't even follow up my initial negative review.

It's definitely people and their preaching to me about the Ulitimate Driving Machine...blind to all else and any shortcomings of the brand, that turned me off to BMW. I read some of your posts and think, "Nah, I'm not going to get sucked into this one because he's probably just indulging a bit and having fun ruffling a few feathers. I can't begrudge him that." But you post so often and always negatively that I have to wonder...why? I'd see occasionaly here and there because maybe you have some interest in the brand or a differring opinion, but why even bother?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:44 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
icon & OCBen - Hey, I like your girls. Are they 997 accessories?

Only for those who can afford the high maintenance cost.

LOL I know what you mean, and unfortunately I learned the lesson from the school of hard knocks.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:05 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
You are correct on all counts

I changed my avitar because even though I'm the owner (or perhaps because I'm the owner) I had to start minimizing when one of my employees walked into my office, lest I be accused of some vague form of harassment.

Let's clean up our avitars if we can fellas. I admit, I had a nasty one too, but it's a Brave New Legal World out there and we need Nomex suits for the simple things in life these days...
i couldnt agree more allegretto! that ben is a troublemaker!
i'll swap mine out asap!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
What does my opinion about Porsche have to do with Ferrari? Ferrari corporate philosophy is grounded in exclusivity. There is no way your going to see mass production like Porsche. Even Porsche is becoming sensitive to the ubiquity of Porsche's. They have announced they will limit production of the Turbo to 4000 per year. Of course, given what they did to the CGT, I doubt they will abide by the commitment.

You're still here? With your non-literate use of the language and numbingly redundant message.

Tell me, was it fetal anoxia, lack of breast feeding, your mom loved you big brother more, you dad beat you too much (or not enough), a tiny appendage or what...?

Honestly, I've been in several different chat rooms, you are a very strange dude. Why do you have so little self respect as to carry on the way you do in such a poor fashion. You can't even write a real sentence in English and frankly you expose you lack of intellegence by going on in such a fashion.

Perhaps I can convince you to go back to torturing small creatures and masturbating instead of going on and on and on about things of which you obviously know nothing.

We can't help you chase away the demons that haunt you from you sorry childhood. I can speak to your parents if you like, but that's a service for which I will have to charge a fee (no, I don't take insurance reimbursement).

Now, run along now and play with the other "Special" children.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Regarding the Mini (OCBEN...I think you said you ordered one), great little car. It's a real hoot to drive- torquey little thing. I got the Cooper S Conv. with the factory JCW at first only because I knew it was a car I would lose less money on. After 8 months, I think I'll hang onto it. It's a very cheap car inside though...plastic parts that snap and break easy.
At 36mpg and $17.4k sticker I'm buying it strictly as a fuel efficient commuter car. I ordered the cloth seats (at no cost of course) instead of the cheap looking std leatherette seats. When I have a full leather interior to enjoy on the weekends, the cheapness of the Cooper's interior won't bother me at all, so long as the AM radio works for the traffic reports.
Originally Posted by icon
i couldnt agree more allegretto! that ben is a troublemaker!
i'll swap mine out asap!
Nice spin.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:29 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
At 36mpg and $17.4k sticker
Wow....36 mpg? I guess I've never really payed that close of attention to it. Somewhat embarrassing to think I've never even looked at the specs of the car before, but it seems like I get more like 20 mpg. Whatever it is, helluva lot better than the Cayenne.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:28 PM
ame546
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw this I'm posting because I have a new avatar.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:35 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's nice to see that my ordered car is at the top of the list.
It is also at the top of this list for best design:

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/to...gn/design.html

I love the Mini Cooper S - I'm gonna have to go drive one of those one of these days.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:41 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ame546
Screw this I'm posting because I have a new avatar.
I noticed
Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Wow....36 mpg? I guess I've never really payed that close of attention to it. Somewhat embarrassing to think I've never even looked at the specs of the car before, but it seems like I get more like 20 mpg.
The 36 mpg hwy is for the base Cooper, which is what I'm getting - strictly for fuel economy like I said. Your supercharged Cooper S with the JCW performance package is probably closer to your estimated 20 mpg, especially when you're goosing it.

Nice avatar ame546 - she looks hot. I can see why you couldn't wait to show her off.

Hey Ron, thanks for that link...'preciate it.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:39 PM
erikjwells
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ame546
Agreed, Allegretto. I can't even believe Nick's postings. He'll bash the 997 S til his head caves in. He has a right to his own opinion though. Like I freaking care if I lose 10k off of the lot on my new S, and more money over the years. BIG DEAL. If you're not wealthy enough to not care, you shouldn't EVER consider buying a 100k car. Anyone even posing an argument for auto appreciation is a nut.

Amen brother....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 36mpg and $17.4k sticker I'm buying it strictly as a fuel efficient commuter car. I ordered the cloth seats (at no cost of course) instead of the cheap looking std leatherette seats. When I have a full leather interior to enjoy on the weekends, the cheapness of the Cooper's interior won't bother me at all, so long as the AM radio works for the traffic reports.
Nice spin.

Oh dear god Ben you are killing me with that avitar!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronmart

Oh dear god Ben you are killing me with that avitar!
57 Chevy Convert. What's the big deal???
Old 04-07-2006, 02:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
oh ben?
we aren't going to lose you to the mini cooper forum are we???
The largest MINI Cooper forum out there that I've found so far is called North American Motoring. They use a forum software very similar to Rennlist's and others' that I've come across. The really neat thing about it is that the entire site is essentially devoted to just 2 models, the base and the S, with the exception of a small forum dedicated to the classic vintage MINI. It would be the equivalent of having the entire site of Rennlist devoted to the 997 and the 997S. It's actually a pretty cool site. I've been a member for a little over a week now, primarily to find out if I should make some changes to my order and to learn as much as I can about the car just as I did when I first signed up here.

Get this, they have a special forum at the very top of the list just for newbies called First Gear, where newbies ask basic questions or just take the opportunity to introduce themselves to the NAM membership.

Here's something that's also really cool. You know how here in Rennlist they automatically assign you a classification based on your number of posts such as "New User" and the ubiquitous "Addict"? Well over there you start out with "Neutral" for your 1st nine posts. After your 10th post you are "1st Gear", after your 50th "2nd Gear", and after your 200th "3rd Gear" I believe, and so on with each upshift occurring at longer intervals. I think the final milestone of "6th Gear" is reached at 1000 posts. I'm still in Neutral.

They also have an Off Topic forum as well as a Near Topic for discussing other cars. Oh, and they have a Marketplace forum broken down into categories where anyone can sell and buy MINIs and parts of MINIs. I just bought a brand new set of wheels & tires on Tuesday that came off some local guy's newly delivered car that arrived just the day before (for less than half price) at the Wheels & Tires division of the Marketplace forum. (He had ordered aftermarket wheels with tires and had taken off the OEMs as soon as he got the car home.) These wheels are only available on the S model but will fit the base Cooper and are the cool looking 8 fat spoke 17" wheels known as the S-Lites.

So yes, Jeff, I'm splitting time between the two for now.

Quick Reply: Forbes Top 10 High Resale Value Vehicles