Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forbes Top 10 High Resale Value Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:29 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Nick, what's with the coming into our forum to rag on a few of the regulars here?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 AM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You know Jeff, I NEVER bet anyone I would buy any CGT or its value. I am not certain what the value of of the CGT will be a year ( and yes it could be around $225,000) from now but I am confident it will be less than 30-40% of its MSRP. This is Porsche's supercar which you have been threatening to buy ever since you started to post on Porsche sites.

I suggest you demonstrate your sincerity and credibity by doing so. Otherwise. it would be appropriate not to lead people into believing your buying one based on the several CGT question you posted expressing an intent to purchase.

I don't want to throw you in with Carbon Ted as a phony( I called his bluff and showed him to be a two bit blow hard) so I suggest you put up or shut up.
Good heavens, Nick- get ahold of yourself, man!
Wondering if an old 912 sideswiped you during your paper route as a kid or something, why the perpetual animosity?

OK, I'll play along this time. OCBen's new avatar just gave me a second wind.
Again, refer to my orig post: locate an original $90K MSRP (read: approx $10K in options) 997S currently available for 30% off it's original sticker ($90*.7=$63K), because I would buy it for my wife to enhance her commute this summer- we've got some perfectly suited roads out here!! It'd be equivalent to having someone give me my former 997S back along with $20K cash, bring it!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Why do the moderators continue to allow Nick to post here? I come here to relax and discuss cars, not defend my purchase from an agenda-driven troll.
MrBonus - Why do you feel the need to defend your purchase? The 997 is without question one of the best cars in the world , and anyone who knows anything about cars knows that. As far as depreciation is concerned, if you sell your car yourself, the depreciation in a 997 is modest. On the other hand if you you wholesale your car to a Stealer, it can get ugly.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

icon & OCBen - Hey, I like your girls. Are they 997 accessories?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:26 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

bottomline? worrying about the resale value of a new porsche when buying the car is for sissies. we buy them because we want to tap into the adrenaline rush and because we're worth it. as kelly mcgillis aptly stated in some old movie "you're not happy unless you're going mach 2 with your hair on fire". yes, f-cars are beautiful and i may own one at some point in the future but a man's got to know his limitations...one valid point i believe is that if you do load up every option on the car you will most likely take a bath on those items when reselling and it creates a great opportunity for buyers in the secondary market. same with home decorating to a certain degree. with respect to the poster who seems to be getting under everyone's skin, just think of him as an orange cone (or in this case a conehead) on an autocross course and go around him...remember, it costs you points when you hit them; or in this case energizes them like providing oxygen to a flame. lastly, with respect to the new avatars popping up (you know who you are); thanks, i can no longer bring this website up at work...i also used to think this model was too skinny; i was wrong. for that i apologize.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
MrBonus - Why do you feel the need to defend your purchase? The 997 is without question one of the best cars in the world , and anyone who knows anything about cars knows that. As far as depreciation is concerned, if you sell your car yourself, the depreciation in a 997 is modest. On the other hand if you you wholesale your car to a Stealer, it can get ugly.
Nick trolls quite a few of the major Porsche forums and consistently makes backhand comments towards Porsche owners and their vehicles It just grows old. I'm not a fan of Jaguars but I don't spend my time on Jaguar forums belittling their ownership group.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct on all counts

I changed my avitar because even though I'm the owner (or perhaps because I'm the owner) I had to start minimizing when one of my employees walked into my office, lest I be accused of some vague form of harassment.

Let's clean up our avitars if we can fellas. I admit, I had a nasty one too, but it's a Brave New Legal World out there and we need Nomex suits for the simple things in life these days...
Old 03-31-2006, 10:46 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
icon & OCBen - Hey, I like your girls. Are they 997 accessories?
Only for those who can afford the high maintenance cost.
Originally Posted by allegretto
Let's clean up our avitars if we can fellas. I admit, I had a nasty one too, but it's a Brave New Legal World out there and we need Nomex suits for the simple things in life these days...
Guess you haven't been to the OT forum. You should see some of those there. Btw, you can adjust the display of avatars by going into User CP, Edit Options, Thread Display Options, and de-select "Show Avatars" & other images for workplace safe viewing.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:57 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

allegretto; have to admit your new avatar had me cracking up and i was tempted to e-mail it to someone but refrained as i could be accused of using a corporate computer to transmit profanity...what a pain...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

The least expensive 997S I have seen was recenly for sale by a Rennlister. A 2005 997S midnight blue on grey that was nicely optioned, in perfect condition and only had 2300 miles on it. He wanted $70K.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
come on now!
that is not true!
a dealer would have to get the car at wholesale value vs. the price of the new vehicle, to make it worth doing the trade.
they are in the business for profit, not to turn cars at cost.
if he gave full value then he would have another unit he would have to sell just to recoup the profit from one!
you can always sell it yourself to get retail value!
don't expect a dealer to do the job for you and not profit!
Huh? I think you agreed with me. You lose out on a trade because the dealer has to make money. But you save on sales tax for the new vehicle. Doesn't everybody know this?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon_Ted
Good heavens, Nick- get ahold of yourself, man!
Wondering if an old 912 sideswiped you during your paper route as a kid or something, why the perpetual animosity?

OK, I'll play along this time. OCBen's new avatar just gave me a second wind.
Again, refer to my orig post: locate an original $90K MSRP (read: approx $10K in options) 997S currently available for 30% off it's original sticker ($90*.7=$63K), because I would buy it for my wife to enhance her commute this summer- we've got some perfectly suited roads out here!! It'd be equivalent to having someone give me my former 997S back along with $20K cash, bring it!
Your right. Bad day.

BTW I have nothing against the car. It is a terrific car. I happen to believe as more and more people are coming to believe that Porsche through its greed and drive for profits has abandoned the customer base. Many of us (yes including me) are left holding the bag financially on these cars. Past models held well but because they are producing so many today and most look alike resale value is dismal.

Recently, in Autocar the British magazine which has close connections, wrote that there was an excellent chance that Porsche will begin making a 911 SUV. They stated if true the Company will be more of a SUV company and not a sport car company.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon1
bottomline? worrying about the resale value of a new porsche when buying the car is for sissies...
Not this again.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Not this again.
i'm only half serious...my point is i would like to think/hope the price is a little sticky on the way down but am not counting on it...that is a cost/risk of owning a higher end car such as this...if you're going to flip it in the first year or two it's going to sting a bit. in reality, i went back and forth with this issue last year when my department closed (without warning) literally 3 days after i wrote a check for my 997S. i believe you even inquired about my car but moved on because i didn't have full leather. i have since decided to keep the car and drive it often now rather than hit a low bid since i've already taken the depreciation hit. i actually just put on the clear side markers, installed chrome tips from the recall and am ordering the spare as well.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Regarding the Mini (OCBEN...I think you said you ordered one), great little car. It's a real hoot to drive- torquey little thing. I got the Cooper S Conv. with the factory JCW at first only because I knew it was a car I would lose less money on. After 8 months, I think I'll hang onto it. It's a very cheap car inside though...plastic parts that snap and break easy.

Nick-

Man I grew to hate BMW because of it's owners. Great cars, but I'd have a hard time buying one because of all the people I've known who own one. I shutter to think I'm this shallow, but you alone have just about turned me off to Ferrari.

You are aware that Ferrari is aggressively seeking to increase production with a new multi-purpose plant in Modena and new developments in the Middle East. I grow tired of people talking about Porsche's glory days when they cared about the customer. They, as with any other successful company, care both about the customer as well as trying to learn to do business in a rapidly changing global economy. "Things aren't run the way they used to"....no ****. Today's world isn't even close to the same business climate as it was 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I should be preaching to the choir here. Ferrari would love to actually turn a profit year after year and not be bought, sold and refinanced over and again by Fiat, the Middle East, etc, etc. "Ferrari Red!!"....same color as their financial records.

Quick Reply: Forbes Top 10 High Resale Value Vehicles