997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Front Spoiler - Importance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006 | 06:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Default Center Front Spoiler - Importance?

Even though my 997S is riding on stock wheels/tires/suspension I still scrape the center front spoiler on many driveways (unfortunately including my own). I take it slowly. I approach at diagonal angles - I know how to mitigate the scrape, but it still hits. I have actually pulled half of the spoiler out of its attachment holes once, but it was relatively easy to pop back in.

My question is - how vital do you think this 2" spoiler lip is? It doesn't seemed designed to do anything other than disrupt the airflow under the car. Since I do most of my driving well under 168 mph here in Los Angeles, do you think I could get along without the center front spoiler in everyday cruising? I'm just afraid I'm going to pop the thing partially out again and then lose it on the freeway.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. (At least I think I would. )

By the way, I tried "searchiing" this topic and came up with zilch.
Old 03-20-2006 | 07:04 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The 1.25" splitter is there for a reason, or else why would they put it there.
Most likely for hi-speed stability..I remember in my 996 at speeds over 100 the front end / steering would really get light, whereas the 997 does not.

Take it away and see what happens, you can always put it back.

On a side note if you draw a straight line from the bottom of the splitter to the front edge of the bumper...thats the reduced aproach angle clearance that the Aerokit has!
Old 03-20-2006 | 07:11 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Although I have a 996 rather than a 997, I can tell you that those little splitters make a huge difference at higher speeds. Without the splitter, the nose feels much lighter and the car seems to "dance" above certain speeds. With the splitter, the car feels much more solid all the way through the speed range. I am not sure it matters much at normal "legal" road speeds. I noticed this mostly at the track at triple digit speeds.

Quick Reply: Center Front Spoiler - Importance?