Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Inexpensive' lightweight track wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 'Inexpensive' lightweight track wheel?

On my E46 M3 I have a set of 18" SSR Comp H forged track wheels that cost <$400 each from TireRack that weigh around 16-18lbs each. Some think the SSR Comps are ugly but they do the trick. I am looking for the equivalent (if there exists one) for my '06 C4S. I want to avoid going to Champion or likewise for some uber pricey fancy wheel. Hope you folks can help me. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

sorry, unlike bmw, NOTHING on porsches are cheap.
your best bet is CCW wheels. good quality and very light. not the best looking.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Champions are more bling than racing. Go with the ccw's or find a set of oem ones that somebody wants to part with. The lobster forks are some of the lightest/strongest wheels porsche has ever made, little known fact.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Champion wheels are the antithesis of bling. No chrome, 8000-ton forged, very light weight, extremely strong. Compared to the 3-piece designs of Fikse and Kinesis, Champion monolites are lighter, stronger, and cheaper. Looks are subjective. A number of BMW guys club race with the RS110 with considerable success.

Where did you learn that the lobster forks are "some of the lightest/strongest wheel porsche has ever made", Surgeon? Just curious. I have lobster forks on my car and I never thought they were anything special.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Champion wheels are the antithesis of bling. No chrome, 8000-ton forged, very light weight, extremely strong. Compared to the 3-piece designs of Fikse and Kinesis, Champion monolites are lighter, stronger, and cheaper. Looks are subjective. A number of BMW guys club race with the RS110 with considerable success.
Yeah, the RS110s are used by a bunch of the E46 M3'ers. I bought my SSRs when they were originally the only good choice -- now the RS110s are the cool track bling to have.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Champions are more bling than racing. Go with the ccw's or find a set of oem ones that somebody wants to part with. The lobster forks are some of the lightest/strongest wheels porsche has ever made, little known fact.
Thanks I will search for CCW. I might end up looking for a set of used OEM wheels as a good thought. I was just spoiled thinking I would find a forged at an inexpensive price. I used the words forged and inexpensive in the same sentence.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
sorry, unlike bmw, NOTHING on porsches are cheap.
your best bet is CCW wheels. good quality and very light. not the best looking.
Yup, I learned my lessons with non-cheap parts with my old 993.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Lobster forks may be strong but they aren't (significantly) lighter than the other wheel options. In general though the new class of wheels are lighter than the last gen "hollow spokers"
Old 03-25-2006, 05:48 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,
I was rummaging the forums looking for posts on CCW wheels. Would like to toss an alternative into the discussion. How about Volk TE37's? I have them on my car and aside from the impression I'm getting that the 10.5" rim in the rear is starting to be a pain in tire choice and tire fittment, I love 'em. Here's a pic of the front and a table of weights I found over at 6speed. The weights for the Volks are right on with what I measured for my rims.

Bro

Old 03-25-2006, 07:11 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Would like to toss an alternative into the discussion. How about Volk TE37's?
I second the recommendation to look at Volk wheels. Rays Engineering has it together and manufactures a fine wheel. That being said, my experience with them is limited to the Honda/Acura end, where I used them and found them to be both light AND durable. They are not cheap in my experience, but not as bad as Mugen either.

I also would recommend sticking to the 18" size for more variety in available tires, particularly if you are going to run at the track.

My .02 and worth what you paid for it.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by rotthaus
I second the recommendation to look at Volk wheels. Rays Engineering has it together and manufactures a fine wheel. That being said, my experience with them is limited to the Honda/Acura end, where I used them and found them to be both light AND durable. They are not cheap in my experience, but not as bad as Mugen either.

I also would recommend sticking to the 18" size for more variety in available tires, particularly if you are going to run at the track.

My .02 and worth what you paid for it.
The TE37's for Porsche's are about $700 per wheel, maybe less as I only searched one distributor. Vivid Racing website The main problem you might have is that it can take up to 9 months for delivery. I'm going to guess that the 10.5" width is going to be enough for your application.

Bro
Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I don't know of any wheels for the Porsche in that price range for an 18" wheel. Light and strong generally means $$$. The Jongbloed and the Forgeline ZX3-Rs are some of the lightest around. And they are also strong. The Jongbloed's are race proven, and the Forgelines are used a lot by Vipers with LOTS of torque.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:25 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I have CCW track wheels, good and strong but not the lightest wheels out there IMO. But the price (and reputation) is right.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Lobster forks may be strong but they aren't (significantly) lighter than the other wheel options. In general though the new class of wheels are lighter than the last gen "hollow spokers"
I beg to differ--the 18" hollow spokes I had on my 996 Turbo are considerably lighter than the 19" Sport Design Wheels (which are BBS wheels by the way) on my Club Coupe. It kills me--Porsche goes to 19" wheels that are heavier, and don't add to peformance/handling, while at the same time singing the praises of PCCB (for $8000) to reduce unsprung weight. How about reducing unsprung weight by not going to 19" wheels in the first place.

Do you or anyone have comparative weight statistics that other of the new wheels are lighter than the hollow spokes?
Old 03-26-2006, 01:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Isn't "inexpensive lightweight wheel" an oxymoron???

Quick Reply: 'Inexpensive' lightweight track wheel?