Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our Beloved 997 under fire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We should give GM credit for keeping the Corvette alive and competitive. The Z06 is a monster, there is no doubt. This type of competition is what will keep Porsche from resting on its laurels. As for the Z06, until it gets a rear seat, I'm not comparing it to my 997.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06

Being a former Vette owner ('69 L-88) I can say that this new Z06 is as close to the L-88 as you can get. Hey, it even has a radio! (L-88 was radio delete).
After driving a Z06, they are correct as to the heat inside the cockpit, gets really warm and probably hot as snot in summer. Sure, it has loads of torque and HP. It handles well.. BUT steering is terrible. Feels you're driving a much larger luxury car than a sports car. Also, after running it hard or even modest, park it and then you will also smell the odor of burning/melting plastic. Smells like your model cars when burned. One member who has a Z06 and a C2S said the same thing after parking it in his garage. He had to open the windows the smell was so strong!

The interior is not what it should be and shouts GM loudly. If you can get over the cheapo interior and the noise and heat, then this is the car for you. I can't imagine driving it over a long trip as I think I'd be tired and glad to get out of the heat and noise (yes it's loud too and lots of road noise).

Porsche has a much more refined interior, much better handling and steering feel now. Besides, you can order your Porsche the way YOU want it. Try that with a Z06.

Z06 is a great car for the $$ and if you're an old muscle-car person then this is just what you'd want. Loads of torque and HP to remind you of the good 'ol days of cheap gas, big block Chevys and loud cars. Now with better handling and more techno stuff, the Z06 is a great bargin for those looking to rekindle the past.

Ah, so what if this or that can beat a Porsche? Do you love your car? DO you enjoy the thrill of driving it and the feeling going around twisties? Then ignore the article (MT seems very pro GM anyway) and enjoy a well engineered car that never will loose it's appeal!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deanski
MT seems very pro GM anyway
Correct. Remember that magazines need advertising revenues to survive (the cover price mostly serves segmentation purposes). So chances are that whoever buys the most advertising space, will be treated more favorably by the publishers. This is not just true for car mags, but also for computer, fashion, home & garden, food etc. magazines.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Wink

Originally Posted by boolala
That's where the TT comes in.....
Or the X51.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:17 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Correct. Remember that magazines need advertising revenues to survive (the cover price mostly serves segmentation purposes). So chances are that whoever buys the most advertising space, will be treated more favorably by the publishers. This is not just true for car mags, but also for computer, fashion, home & garden, food etc. magazines.
very good point....but what is MT going to do if and when GM does belly up???
Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 PM
ame546
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense to you Deankski, because I highly respect your posts on the forum for my short time here, but in general the Corvette is a white trash car. Comparing the 997 s to the Z06 is not much of comparison to me. I respect the car's muscle power, but most corvette owners wouldn't even know what to do in a Porsche. That being said performance-wise they're both great cars. One just defines your image differently than the other.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
MMD
Banned

"Deadliest rivals?" What inflammatory BS.

Simply put: Corvette is cheap. Porsche is the best.

Will take 50 years of media propaganda ("deadliest rivals" indeed!) to change that perception.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ame546
No offense to you Deankski, because I highly respect your posts on the forum for my short time here, but in general the Corvette is a white trash car. Comparing the 997 s to the Z06 is not much of comparison to me. I respect the car's muscle power, but most corvette owners wouldn't even know what to do in a Porsche. That being said performance-wise they're both great cars. One just defines your image differently than the other.
None taken! I agree that the Z06 is quite inferrior to a Porsche. As I said, steering was horrible. Sure, it goes fast, handles better than most other Vettes, but let's face it. It's no Porsche in quality and engineering!

I just could not get over that smell too when I drove back to the dealer and parked it. Lots of road noise from tires as well. Not something to take on a long drive I'd say. I have a Z06 owner close to me (older model) and he wondered why I went to the C2S instead of the Z06. I just couldn't break his heart to tell him what I thought.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with School Teacher... if you place the name Porsche on the front of ANY magazine it sells BIG!!!!

But you know what; I am not going to subscribe to any magazine unless it’s a Pro-Porsche mag!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
ultimate
Advanced

In a prior version, when they said the 'vette is a better buy than the 911, they had pictures of previous years of the two cars - in each instance, the vette looked like an old car, the porsche looked like a very desirable vehicle (ok, maybe tht primarily shows a bias, but looking at '70's and '80's versions of the two, the market also seems to bear that out)
Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 132 Posts

It’s like comparing apples and oranges or F1 and NASCAR. I don’t think there is much value in these types of comparisons with the exception of the “press” it creates for a magazine.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that article was funny! I mean, how can a mag compare a huge V8 to a flat 6 and not make note of the fact that the flat 6 deserves a gold star for even being considered? Much less actually giving a damn good race out of it. It's just a hilarious over sight.

I'm still doing my own comparison, in fact, I had both cars out yesterday back to back again. The Z06 is a epic highway beater... there are no four wheeled vehicles that you can't pass, even going up a steep grade, in a very short distance. It's so explosively torquey that it is goofy run. And, at the price for 505BHP / 470FPT, one can't come close. I plan to highway thrash it this summer. I couldn't do that to a 997tt or an M6. Those cars are machines you want to treat well. And damn, the general classification of personalities that worship these Z06 things... they are some close minded, mean spirited, repressed souls. Like bitter old men who've been battered by life.

But, every time I get out of the C2S I literally say out loud, "Twice the car, two-thirds the power". The Porsche just DRIVES better. Performance is NOT simply power... if it was we'd all be driving '74 Gremlins with huge crate motors in them. The Porsche is just so much MORE FUN.

I hope that the magazines and the Chevy's of the world just keep pushing Porsche until the monster that lives somewhere in the Porsche factory gets pissed enough to change for the better. Like, putting a damn big motor into the Cayman, call it a Cayman RS. Then you watch... all the mags will suddenly leave the GM products out of that comparison.

Come on Porsche! Make the Cayman a beast!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:37 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

despite having to agree that the z06 is a terrific performer, especially when taking the money in account. just a though, but aren't most amercian published mags sponsored by GM? seems to me that many such magazines have ads indicating GM as a major sponsor. surely some bias creeps into these "objective" reviews. what i'm saying is that it maybe in the editor's interests to gloss over the weakness of the sponsor's car and highlight any flaws in a competitors car.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:59 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Well it's a fair comparison. The Z06 is brutally fast. In a straight line, it will out drag the Carrera S (even with the X51). Get into really twisty bits the porsche will shine. So give credit where it's due... for 70k, the vette is a very fast value car.
You'll have to excuse me, but what makes you think the 997S will out-handle the Z06? I think you'll find the opposite is true.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cvazquez
I truly believe that if the Z06 & 997S would go head to head around a race track for 15X the P-car would win the race. The Z06's brakes and tires will start fading, plus the reliability issue will start hurting the performance of the Z06.

My reason for not reading these types of articules is because, they already seem to know when the cars performance will start to fade and will stop the race around 7 freaking laps. I would love to see a comparo of each car 15laps X3 with a 30 minute breaks in between. If I see the comparo going down as mentioned... I'll really know the true winner!

But for now my 997c2 kicks MUCHO ***!
That's the funniest thing I've read all day, thanks for the laugh! The Z06 will out-brake the 997 all day long, and the drivetrain in the Z06 is so bulletproof unlike the 997's.

You're making silly assumptions based on the past. Those out of date assumptions don't mean a thing when comparing these new cars.

If you want to call the Vette unrefined, or compare the driving feel and say the Porsche is better, fine. But you're a fool if you believe the 997S can outperform the Z06. The Z06's only competition from Porsche will be from the new GT3, and that will even be a close one.

Quick Reply: Our Beloved 997 under fire!!!