Sponsored by:

GT3 Seats and Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:14 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Seats and Airbag Light

i'm putting gt3 seats in my 997s and want to avoid the airbag warning light coming on because of the airbag in the stock seats (and not because the seat belt plug).

any ideas on how to avoid that without needing to go to the delaer to reset the warning light?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the same dilemma as you; I have GT3 seats in my car, and the airbag light is always on. I've heard two different things: 1) There is an easy computer flash to eliminate the light, a la 996 (Kip at Farnbacher Loles told me this); 2) The airbag control unit needs to be replaced with a new one, p/n 99761821705, which can be reflashed (Suncoast Porsche told me that).

Obviously it's cheaper and easier to reflash a computer as opposed to buying a new $400 part and performing minor surgery, but I'll believe it when I see it in a 997. That said, Farnbacher's souped up Cayman S at Sebring this past weekend had GT3 seats in it without any warning lights, and the electrics of the Cayman/987 can't be that different from that of the 997.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

whoops, just did a search (isn't that always a charm), and found the two following tidbits of advice:

""When you have the race seat or seats installed the Dealer with a PIWIS Tester (Porsche Service Tester) can turn off the buckle(s) and airbags. They will most likely want you to sign a disclaimer to the affect that they are not liable for doing so. This can be done on all of the 987, 997 and Cayman models. The change is done under the coding section."
Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 3/8/2006"

and

"You will need access to a PST3 tester to "blow out the light". Only the Thorax airbag (seat) is disabled."

The second quote comes from VB997, who posts on this board. I'm going to see what the dealer says about getting a PST3 tester or PIWIS tester, whatever those are. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have heated Adaptic sport seats being put back in and the gt3 race seats taken out.in a 997s .orinially when i had the race seats put in, i had the dealer "flash" so the car thought that there was no airbag in seat...so no light.it worked great.......now adding the seat with airbag i get the light and will have that reflashed to read that there is an airbag...

question...since i put the seat back in (adaptic SS) the airbag light is on and the heated seats do not work...is the airbag control unit linked somehow to the heated seats and will the reflash to turn the airbag light off also re activate the heated seats? that is what my local mechanic told me..
there isn't a specific fuse for the heated seat module as i thought that might be the issue..everything else on the seat and dash works...thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

That's why Durametric should change their stupid pricing policy so people like these poster can just flash their car themselves! They would have sold THREE already...

Oh well!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i assume my seats are ok?

trading in and dont want any surprises...
Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
i have heated Adaptic sport seats being put back in and the gt3 race seats taken out.in a 997s .orinially when i had the race seats put in, i had the dealer "flash" so the car thought that there was no airbag in seat...so no light.it worked great.......now adding the seat with airbag i get the light and will have that reflashed to read that there is an airbag...

question...since i put the seat back in (adaptic SS) the airbag light is on and the heated seats do not work...is the airbag control unit linked somehow to the heated seats and will the reflash to turn the airbag light off also re activate the heated seats? that is what my local mechanic told me..
there isn't a specific fuse for the heated seat module as i thought that might be the issue..everything else on the seat and dash works...thanks
I'm guessing the dealer disabled the heated seats at the same time as he deactivated the (missing) thorax airbag when you put the 996 CS seats in the car and took the stock seats out...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

A small piece of black electrical tape over the light works great! That's what I did in my 986 when I put the GT3 seats in. The tape is still there and the light is still 'off.'

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats and Airbag Light