Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front licence plate in California

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 782 Likes on 443 Posts

^^^ all my front plate tickets in CA have been parking tickets (i.e. parking cops give them to me when I am parked on a public street).
Old 12-08-2020, 05:37 PM
gqw247
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
(Update: Worked like a charm..)

Finished my stonsho license plate installation.. Will drive it later to make sure the radar works ok.. If not, the plate holder can be cut to the right size, but it seems like it will work..

Its been over a year since you installed it. How is is holding up? Do you hear a noise? Any issues with the plastic piece the mount is installed on? Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

I’ve lived in CA for around 13 years. Never installed a front plate. Never been pulled over or cited for it.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:57 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

In California it's a fix-it ticket. I got pulled over by the CHP a year ago for my spirited driving, and although the officer didn't catch me speeding, he wrote me a ticket for the lack of front license plate. If you put the front plate on and come to the courthouse to get an officer to sign the ticket, it ends up costing around $25 and the charge is dropped. I have a license plate holder that mounts in the tow hook socket.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was born in CA and have only had two cars with front plates, the first two I owned, a 1958 Volvo and a Ford Anglia, that had an engine the size of a small loaf of bread and would top out at 55 mph. No speeding tickets with that one...
After that I have owned about ten cars, mostly sports cars, several high performance. No front plates, but in my early (and pre-radar) years, lots of tickets, but never one for the lack of a plate. The police knew that it was not there, but I believe that your attitude has a lot to do with them tacking that violation onto your ticket.

I did pick one up in San Francisco in my Porsche a few years ago, even though my meter was paid up. $110. as I remember. I just paid it. We also got one in San Francisco parking in a city-owned garage. I would advise against buying a tow hook of other attachment to get it signed off for $20., as you must pay for the attachment and then will pay a lot more if you are caught with it off. In Porsche land $110 is the least of our worries, e.g., "Looks like you need tires, breaks and a new front $truts."

I have the feeling that meter readers focus on P-cars as very few have front plates. CA cities keep a higher percentage of the revenue from parking tickets, so many, like Palo Alto, issue them by the bucket. Also, the PDs do not need to pay the officer's time to attend the court cases that can result from speeding tickets.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:49 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by gqw247
Its been over a year since you installed it. How is is holding up? Do you hear a noise? Any issues with the plastic piece the mount is installed on? Thanks!!
It works great.!! Still completely secure, and all the car washes haven't affected the mount at all.

No problems with the radar detector either..

Great front license plate solution for the Cayenne S..
Old 12-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

In 30 years I've yet to get a ticket for a front plate that I can recall. I don't live in LA but I go there a lot....except for this year.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:51 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by gqw247
Sorry for the late reply..

It has been 2 years, and it is like recently installed after car washing, rain, etc. Still fully secured..

One of the best options for front license plates for my Cayenne S, with radar..

Old 12-06-2021, 02:53 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by zumaron
Put a dent in your front plate and keep it in the car. If anyone "asks", tell 'em someone backed into it and knocked it off and you'll get it fixed right away.
As stated above, the problem remains that "Meter Maids" write these tickets when monitoring parking meter expiration violations.
(True in both LA and San Francisco, in my recent experience.)
If I get pulled over by a real LEO for a missing front plate...it's probably the least of my problems.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-06-2021 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:14 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I have been thinking about buying a static decal to put on top of the Xpel wrap in hopes it will prevent a ticket. Not sure if that will make things worse or better when I do get pulled over, but it might prevent those cops that just catch a glance and then pull you over for NFP. Texas.
Yeah, I wouldn’t.

My experience in Texas, as long as you’re in major cities and don’t look like rolling probable cause, you’re fine.

If you want to venture through small towns get a tow hook plate mount.

I haven’t had a plate in 25 years of driving in Dallas and Austin.

The only time I was pulled over for that alone, I was 20 and in a flashy red convertible.

The other two times it was mentioned was along with a speeding infraction, they wrote me for speed but issued a warning on the plate.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:42 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

delete

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-07-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:45 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

All 37 years in Seattle I've never had a front license plate on my Porsche.
Can't stand seeing those holes in front 997 bumper - Combined with indent of license plate holder or the lic plate bolt marks scraping the bumper.
My 06 C4 previous owner made custom plastic mounts that attached to the lower bumper area. Sort of crazy considering the is the plate holder available that fits into the towing plug hole.
But nice there were no marks on bumper - 2 holes in the black area which I will get small plugs for.
Fellow member Kellen helped remove the mounts last week.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:16 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by TV911
In California it's a fix-it ticket. I got pulled over by the CHP a year ago for my spirited driving, and although the officer didn't catch me speeding, he wrote me a ticket for the lack of front license plate. If you put the front plate on and come to the courthouse to get an officer to sign the ticket, it ends up costing around $25 and the charge is dropped. I have a license plate holder that mounts in the tow hook socket.
Almost the same here: I followed all the steps in the "how to get pulled over" handbook: way too fast, quick swerving between lanes, so I got pulled over,
The CHP officer who pulled me over started saying "cool car" and then noticed my missing front license plate.
And then he told me that I could either have a speeding ticket or a fix-it ticket, guess which one I choose :-)
Old 12-06-2021, 02:23 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 226 Posts

on my Range Rover I have a license plate wrap: https://licenseplatewrap.com/
Old 12-06-2021, 08:10 PM
idylldon
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My car has been a CA car since new in '06 and has never had a front plate mounted. In fact, when I purchased the car from the original owner the front plate was still in the DMV wrapper and was stored in the frunk. Since purchasing the car, I've received one speeding ticket and the cop never said a word about the plate or wrote me up because it was missing, and he's known as a hardnose around here. I'm sure it's totally cop dependent, but I carry my new front plate in the frunk and plan to just say, "Yes, I know and I'm waiting for the correct mounting bracket."

Cheers,
--
Don

Quick Reply: Front licence plate in California