Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how often are you using the sport chrono??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often are you using the sport chrono??

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but how often do you have the sport chrono engaged??? what percentage of the time???? the reason i ask is that i have found a used c2s thats perfect except it doesnt have it because the orginal buyer didnt like the look of the wart ruining the all leather dash look and he figured he wasnt going to use it anyway....i have used it on brief test drives and its fun to switch it on for a change and it does give the illusion of the car being faster....its certainly has a more sensitve throttle response...but i imagae i would either always have it on or mostly off, on and off would make be think about it too much...
Old 03-01-2006, 08:51 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to ask a question for which I should know the answer, but I will ask anyway. When talking about 'sport chrono' and quicker throttle response, does the stopwatch / clock on the wart have to be actually moving and counting to achieve that quicker throttle response, or does simply having the option installed automatically engage the quicker throttle response? I always engage 'Sport' mode (When i engage PSE it turns on Sport mode) and I feel the difference in that setting with the stiffer shocks, but are you saying actually starting the clock makes for a quicker throttle response?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:28 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I am going to ask a question for which I should know the answer, but I will ask anyway. When talking about 'sport chrono' and quicker throttle response, does the stopwatch / clock on the wart have to be actually moving and counting to achieve that quicker throttle response, or does simply having the option installed automatically engage the quicker throttle response? I always engage 'Sport' mode (When i engage PSE it turns on Sport mode) and I feel the difference in that setting with the stiffer shocks, but are you saying actually starting the clock makes for a quicker throttle response?
good question, and i forgot that with the pse, the sport mode turns on...i dont believe the stop watch has to be on for the different throttle mapping of the sport chrono....but other may want to correct me if i am wrong...it seems those with the pse tend to use it most of the time and therefore have the sport mode engaged most of the time.....these computerized gagets are fun to play with but i wonder if we would miss them if they didnt exist???..i know the new F1 ferrari 430 has all sorts of different settings and modes and launch controls...its like a computer game......of course driving a classic 993 aircooled porsche with out all the bells and whistles is stlll great fun....
Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well let me say this: If what you are talking about is 'Sport Mode' and that only comes if you get the sport chrono package (which i believe is the case and has nothing to do with the clock actually engaged), I use it every day I drive. I only turn it off on especially bumpy roads when its too stiff. It is fantastic.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. I use it everytime I drive my car. I love the feel of the quicker response and firm ride.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
drbf
Pro

I was told the stop watch did not have to be on for throttle mapping of the sport chrono.
But I am still not sure.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:45 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stop watch doesn't have to be on to have the more aggressive throttle mapping. if the roads are too bumpy, i turn it off.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
icruze
Racer

The stop watch does not need to be engaged. All you need to do is hit the sports button. I use it 50% of the time. Usually when there is less traffic and can get the most out of it. It's like a treat. If I left it on all the time I might not enjoy it as much if that makes any sense.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

its a must have
Old 03-01-2006, 11:22 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robbonds
its a must have
dont let Ben hear you!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:12 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Stopwatch (wart) is just part of the package and I'm sure having it on or off is irrelevant to the sport chrono functions. Also keep in mind that you can use sport mode but at the same time not the stiffer PASM - when you hit sport, two buttons light up but if you then hit the PASM button it will revert to a softer ride while still giving you the throttle remapping.

I just got some materials from OCBen including a training manual that goes into great detail regarding the sport chrono function, which has about a half dozen or more sub-software sets that adjust PASM for a great variety of conditions. Recommend you contact OCBen for this stuff as its awesome.

I use sport mode probably 50-60% of the time, but normally not in traffic. My PSE is on all the time so I don't have the inconvenience of having to go to sport mode to activate PSE.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:51 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

thanx jim-i never realized you could soften up the ride but keep the more aggressive throttle mapping. i also have the factory installed sport exhaust-i guess that will remain on with the throttle mapping, when i shut off pasm, correct?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:56 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sport Chrono and PSE are the "awesome options". The sport chrono changes the torque characteristics, learned that ice driving in Finland.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
...the reason i ask is that i have found a used c2s thats perfect except it doesnt have it because the orginal buyer didnt like the look of the wart ruining the all leather dash look....
That's awesome! Ben is upgrading to a Turbo.

Sport Mode - use it more often then not.

PASM set to "normal" for majority of street driving and "sport" for canyon driving.

Stopwatch - played with the interface as a test, but have not used it in any practical manner.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:33 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

I use it all the time. The couple times I've forgotten I wonder why the car seems so sluggish.

Quick Reply: how often are you using the sport chrono??