Exhaust Recall tip!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wilam
who's the girl in your avatar?
I think that's a question that we'd all like to have answered!!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:16 AM
infestation
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received chrome tips free of charge, as well.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:03 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wilam
sorry for the typo...it should be 2005. who's the girl in your avatar?
just a model called Sarah
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

My dealer is doing the switch to chrome for $40.

Anyone have before and after shots of the chrome tips. Anyone who did it regret doing so? I think it will look great on my black 997s especially since 3 months in my stainless steel tips are looking pretty bad.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 02:42 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

You guys have had some great luck with getting the chrome tips in exchange due to the recall. I just received my notice as well and am going to see if my Bay Area dealer will help me out with this as well (Carlsen). The two options that I feel like I overlooked when I ordered the car was TPMS and chrome tips. Those aluminum tips turn brown and look dingy!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
raffi
Pro

i got free chrome tips also,
they look awesome, I prefer them over the sports exhaust tips.
I would definitely spend the few hundred dollars if had to pay for them.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Had my tips replaced yesterday.I did have the normal tips but paid to have them replaced with the chrome ones.My dealer charged me for the chrome ones,fitting was free(due to the recall),and I made sure I took away the replacement new tips which should have been fitted so I now have a spare set,which I will fit if the chrome ones start corroding,or resell later.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eilig, what problems did you have with Danbury Porsche? I previously purchased a Boxster from New Country Porsche in Greenwich, but found the service to be lacking. I just ordered a 997 from Danbury, and thus far, found them to be very helpful.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:37 AM
MMD
Banned

Porsche should offer us all chrome tips for free considering the BS I (we) have to go thru to bring car in and wait, be carless, or be otherwise inconvenienced.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
The B
Racer

I got the recall, I had the brushed tips and the dealership upgraded me to the chrome for free with the service, (Norm Reeves Tampa). The diffrence to me is: invisible vs. visible.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:17 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
Eilig, what problems did you have with Danbury Porsche? I previously purchased a Boxster from New Country Porsche in Greenwich, but found the service to be lacking. I just ordered a 997 from Danbury, and thus far, found them to be very helpful.
Last year I contemplated a purchase from them. They had a car with just the right options that I couldn't find anywhere else. I sent them $1,000 to hold the car for 3 days while I made up my mind. I ended up purchasing another car, and when it came time to release my $1,000 hold money, they sat on it for almost 4 months. Eventually it was returned, but I had to call them about 7 times, and they got snotty about it. They answer the phone when you're a buyer. They don't answer the phone when they owe you money. It left a bad taste.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default There might be a reason for the free upgrade besides generosity.

For all of you who have gotten the chrome tips for free just for the asking in this recall campaign, there may be a reason the dealership can offer them for free.

The service manager at my dealership had said "no" when I first asked him about a month ago, saying that he was bound by the recall to replace the tips that came with the car when I purchased it with the same type. Yesterday I went in to find out how much the delta would be in price for the chromes versus the stainless tips. So we went over to talk to the Parts Manager who looks like a nerdy accountant and has the reputation for being a tightwad.

Well, much to my surprise, he checked and double-checked his parts information and concluded that he could just as well replace the stainless with the chromes at no cost to me! And so he ordered the chromes for me, and I should have them installed in a few days.

Seems like their cost must be the same regardless of tip type. This tightwad (I mean nice guy) is not likely to give away anything if it means losing money in the process. So if you guys haven't done the swaparoo yet you might want to ask if there is something in the system that allows them to replace with chromes at no cost to you.

I walked away heaping praises on the Parts Manager - "Steve, yooda man!"
Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Sands
Instructor

Would that we could be so lucky here. I had my tips upgraded to the chrome ones at the "discounted " price of $400.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

I just got my car back yesterday from it's latest computer glitch visit, and when I requested they do the tip swap while it was in ........ I was told there are no parts available in North America

I will ask about the chrome vs stainless swap, although I'm not convinced chrome is the way to go for me.

Does anyone (Ben?) have the PN for chrome tips?

Last edited by NVRANUF; 04-13-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I just got my car back yesterday from it's latest computer glitch visit, and when I requested they do the tip swap while it was in ........ I was told there are no parts available in North America

I will ask about the chrome vs stainless swap, although I'm not convinced chrome is the way to go for me.

Does anyone (Ben?) have the PN for chrome tips?

They just did mine with the brushed steel ones and they look fine. Personally, I don't want chrome. There's nothing on the outiside of the car that's chrome(except those headlight water squirters) so aesthetically I thought, forget it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Recall tip!