First post: E55 owner thinking of coming over

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts
Default First post: E55 owner thinking of coming over

hey guys,
I've been lurking here the last few days reading up on the 997. I have an '04 E55 with Kleemann K2 (about 600 HP and 650 lb/ft) and considering selling it. Really had no intention until last week while I was thumbing thru the Vantage 8 brouchure my wife asked if I was going to buy it. Trying to hide my excitement, I said no, just looking at pics. Besides, I told her, there's like a 1-2 year wait. Her response: "why don't you put your name on the list". I immediately put the book down and drove over to my nearest Porsche dealer!

I love my E55 but it is not my daily driver and spends a lot of time in the garage coming out only when I want to take it for a spin. I figure if i'm going to have a car like this it may as well be a sports car. Part of me actually feels guilty about getting rid of my car, but to have fun in that car means I need to do speeds that will have me end up in jail. It goes really fast in a straight line, but that's about it. I'm looking for something to have some fun in. I think nimbleness of the 997 S will make up for the ridiculous amount of HP and TQ my car has, and in the end be a more fun car to drive.

I test drove a 997 S the other day (white/sea blue - very interesting interior. don't know if I'd get it though) and was pleasantly surprised with the pickup that it had. The steering/feel/handling was of course way better than my E55.

I'm not looking to load up on options so have been thinking of sport chrono, short throw shifter, power seats, metallic paint (can't decide) I may be forgetting something else but the sales guy came up with a sticker of about $86.5. He did not have the car in stock and would have to order it in his May allocation. He offered the car at $82.5. What do you think? He is also looking to get me better than book for my E55 and said he would do some checking and let me know. I know I will not get from a dealer what I may get privately if someone wants my mods. But, if I can get better than book I may consider not dealing with selling it on my own.

couple of questions: Will the lack of options come back to haunt me come trade in time in a couple of years. Also, I notice on Porsche's web page when your building the car in the leather section I notice there is a seletion for "leather seats" and then "full leather". If the seats are not leather, then what are they? I know about the leather dash and other parts, but leather seats is not standard!? I may extend my options to full leather/seats.

With a May allocation he told me I'd have the car in late June early July. When do the '07's come out? Fall I thought. My car might be two months old and already be "a year old". If their willing to move on price on ordering an '06 should I expect the same for an '07. I'm also deciding if I should put my name on the list for the TT. He told me I won't see a car from him for about 2 years, which is OK by me.

Finally, I know this is very subjective, but exterior color. My benz is silver but garaged and not out in bad weather. I'm also a detailing fanatic and like doing it myself. So, I think I can handle black. Silver is also a consideration but my last couple of cars have been silver. I guess the real question is red. It looks great, but just wondering if it's "too much". I'm 42 (today!) and just not sure about red. I found som pics on the net and it looks amazing. So, anyone here with red, speak up!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Welcome. Your logic for switching to a more nimble sports car makes perfect sense to me. Can't see the point of the new M5, for example, unless you just have money to spare.

Most cars are reasonably optioned, so provided you price it on the lower end of the market range when you're looking to sell, no it won't hurt resale. (Service records are the biggest factor there, IMHO). It may make the car more accessible to some. Besides, you get very little for all of those expensive options on resale.

I think you can do better than $4k off given it will be a late '06, unless you're in CA. $5 to $6K would be a good deal, and National dealers deal more and ship readily.

Unless you select full leather seats, you get leather fronts and vinyl or plastic hard backs (depending on whether you purchase sport seats.

Guards red is a classic Porsche color, and really shows off the car's line (and nature). All 3 of my Porsches have been Guards, and IMHO the 997 needs a bright color.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:06 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with chris. 2 other options, heated seats and bose. nav if you want it. car comes standard with leather fronts, vinyl backs. complete leather seats is about $1500 more, full leather interior (seats plus dashboard, door liner is about $3200 total-check porsche car configurator. consider not getting power seats if you are only driver and saving $1500. at trade in time, personilized, expensive options (carbon fiber, leather vents, aero-kit) get you little. color is personal, i have had guards red, it has always been a classic porsche color-the dealers seem to spec out alot of grey and silver now. red is fine for resale, yellow tougher. as far as the turbo, i have an 03tt-why not get on the list? good luck.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a nice car combo you have going, perhaps look at getting painted wheels, go play with the porsche configurator at www.porscheusa.com
I say go for red, you're 42 who cares? everyone does black, or silver - ehhhh not my thing, personally - play with the colours and look at samples against other interiors - as well, porsche has a great custom colour department, you can get any classic porsche colour (well almost any) and lamborghini colours, etc... You can get them to spray your car in pretty much anything you want, and the most expensive 'standard' factory metallics aren't so far off in terms of price...
anyways, the thing is the 911 is so good that it's faster than the 650hp M6.... It gets the power to the ground better.
A $4000 drop seems pretty decent, and even though your car is extensively modified, better than book may be okay, considering how much of a hassle it might be to sell yours privately, with people being scared away by mods, and test pilots, etc...
So lots of options. Just have fun, don't stress, and enjoy yourself -
but, your wife told you to put your name down on an aston martin and you ran off to the porsche dealership?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Thanks guys. Good info., hadn't thought of not getting power seats. I will be the only driver, what do I need them for? Interesting point. So, the seats (std.) are leather except the back?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Thanks guys. Good info., hadn't thought of not getting power seats. I will be the only driver, what do I need them for? Interesting point. So, the seats (std.) are leather except the back?
correct, leather except the back
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Moderato
Racer

After driving the E55, you still found the torque in the 997 S to be aceptable?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

vancouver-i don't think that the m6 has 650 hp-it is more like 500 hp, like the m5.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I am planning to do the same thing. I just sold my 993 and plan to sell my E55 too. My replacement: a 997S. I think it keeps me driving a car and a brand I feel passionate about: Porsche. It has the speed of the E55 (similar 0-60 times), handles better, has a similar level of luxury and sportiness (is that a word?). In my case it is the perfect combination.

I plan to stay with one car and drive the 997S every day.

However, today I went on a run with a few 993 guys (including a TT) and kept up very nicely. But I missed the pcar feeling.

No knock against the E55, it is awesome!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docjackson1
vancouver-i don't think that the m6 has 650 hp-it is more like 500 hp, like the m5.
wow you're 100% correct, I have no idea WTF I was thinking
Old 02-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

I am interested in your opinion of the E55 vs. the 997 S. I own an 06 C2S with the X-51 package. My dad has an E55. I have driven both and aside from the mammoth amount of torque I think the porsche is a more pure sports car.

As far as seat options, ordering the car with full leather interior will get you leather on the seat back with the standard seats. I don't think you can get leather on the seat back if you order sport seats. Those come with a hard plastic back that is a metalic gray (at least in my car with Stone Gray Leather) you can have the sport seat back painted to match the exterior color. You can also get full leather with the adaptive sport seat. My brother just ordered a cars optioned that way. For me the sport seat is more comfortable because it is wider across the shoulder.

Other option IMHO that are a must are: X-51 (if you can get it), sport exhaust, sport shifter, heated seats, bose premium sound, self dimming mirrors.

I have the Sport Crono Package Plus in my Porsche, and I am not totally sold on this option, if I was ordering another cars I might opt to not have it.

I think all the Porsche colors look great on the 997, of course I think Azurro California is the most beautiful.

JFS
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Look just do what I did and keep both. Then you will have the best of both worlds

MHC2S,
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG Silver/black
2005 Porsche 997S Arctic/black
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

I agree. Had a 2001 M5 but got sicking of waiting and bought a E55. Great car, great looking, lot's of torque, but doesn't handle like the M5 and I missed shifting. Bought a '06 C4S Cab and couldn't be happier. Keep the E55 as a really fast "station car" if you can afford it.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 04 E55. I traded it in for the 911 and haven't looked back. The E55 was a great Luxury car of staggering acceleration, but the 911 is an elite performer and its just down right more fun to drive. But they are totally different so its hard to compare the two. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
hey guys,
I've been lurking here the last few days reading up on the 997. I have an '04 E55 with Kleemann K2 (about 600 HP and 650 lb/ft) and considering selling it. Really had no intention until last week while I was thumbing thru the Vantage 8 brouchure my wife asked if I was going to buy it. Trying to hide my excitement, I said no, just looking at pics. Besides, I told her, there's like a 1-2 year wait. Her response: "why don't you put your name on the list". I immediately put the book down and drove over to my nearest Porsche dealer!

I love my E55 but it is not my daily driver and spends a lot of time in the garage coming out only when I want to take it for a spin. I figure if i'm going to have a car like this it may as well be a sports car. Part of me actually feels guilty about getting rid of my car, but to have fun in that car means I need to do speeds that will have me end up in jail. It goes really fast in a straight line, but that's about it. I'm looking for something to have some fun in. I think nimbleness of the 997 S will make up for the ridiculous amount of HP and TQ my car has, and in the end be a more fun car to drive.

I test drove a 997 S the other day (white/sea blue - very interesting interior. don't know if I'd get it though) and was pleasantly surprised with the pickup that it had. The steering/feel/handling was of course way better than my E55.

I'm not looking to load up on options so have been thinking of sport chrono, short throw shifter, power seats, metallic paint (can't decide) I may be forgetting something else but the sales guy came up with a sticker of about $86.5. He did not have the car in stock and would have to order it in his May allocation. He offered the car at $82.5. What do you think? He is also looking to get me better than book for my E55 and said he would do some checking and let me know. I know I will not get from a dealer what I may get privately if someone wants my mods. But, if I can get better than book I may consider not dealing with selling it on my own.

couple of questions: Will the lack of options come back to haunt me come trade in time in a couple of years. Also, I notice on Porsche's web page when your building the car in the leather section I notice there is a seletion for "leather seats" and then "full leather". If the seats are not leather, then what are they? I know about the leather dash and other parts, but leather seats is not standard!? I may extend my options to full leather/seats.

With a May allocation he told me I'd have the car in late June early July. When do the '07's come out? Fall I thought. My car might be two months old and already be "a year old". If their willing to move on price on ordering an '06 should I expect the same for an '07. I'm also deciding if I should put my name on the list for the TT. He told me I won't see a car from him for about 2 years, which is OK by me.

Finally, I know this is very subjective, but exterior color. My benz is silver but garaged and not out in bad weather. I'm also a detailing fanatic and like doing it myself. So, I think I can handle black. Silver is also a consideration but my last couple of cars have been silver. I guess the real question is red. It looks great, but just wondering if it's "too much". I'm 42 (today!) and just not sure about red. I found som pics on the net and it looks amazing. So, anyone here with red, speak up!
As a Benz lover, I can understand your delima but I say definitely go for the 997. You won't regret it. Take a look at my sig for some things that I think are highly worthwhile.

You'll definitely want to do the full leather. It is one of the few options you'll really get your money back for during resale.

I also think that the red looks great on the older Porche's, but not as great on the 997. Naturally red owners will disagree, but just go search the web and you'll see that Black, Arctic Silver and Seal Grey are more common than most other colors (followed up by Lapis Blue and Bassalt Black). The speed yellow looks really good on the 997, so if you wanted to get wild I would do that rather than the red as I think you'd find a larger audience for it during resell (but it is going to be MUCH less fewer than those seeking Black or Silver).

Atlas Grey (which is really blue) is a cool looking color too. (let the color debates begin <g>)

The sports chrono is good for a better throttle response and the X51 power kit will give you that grunt you enjoy now in your E55.

Whatever you decide, you'll love it.

Quick Reply: First post: E55 owner thinking of coming over