Sponsored by:

A crook is cruising the forums!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A crook is cruising the forums!

Well guys, it looks like there is a crook cruising the forums.
A gentleman contacted me about my 997S.
He made all these elaborate plans to buy the car. He had me convinced he was legitimate until he was supposed to pick up the car this weekend. He was supposed to get it Saturday, then because of the weather, he would get it today.
He sent me another e-mail today telling me he didnt want to get the car again because of the weather.
Now the good part, he wants to send me a check to pay for shipping the car to him and oh by the way, the check will be for more than the shipping and just send him back the difference. I sent him back an e-mail telling him to kiss off. I sent him another e-mail to let him know I would be warning everyone, now I see his e-mail is no longer valid.
Sellers BEWARE!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have a name? Im wondering if I was conatacted by him as well?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian

Is he a RennLister ?

Mark
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
MMD
Banned

It's nice that he's probably got a ******* so it can be torn off if anybody catches him.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:11 PM
tkids
Pro

I have tried selling one of my cars/wheelset through a site out here in CA. That is the common scam. I am not sure who would fall for that.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:40 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

Originally Posted by tkids
I have tried selling one of my cars/wheelset through a site out here in CA. That is the common scam. I am not sure who would fall for that.
This particular scam has become quite common in the last few years. I always wonder who falls for these scams too. Someone must because these crooks have defrauded hundreds of millions of dollars from people over the last few years.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brave Heart
Brian

Is he a RennLister ?

Mark
Mark, he said he saw my post on one of the other P car forums. He seemed very knowledgable.
Looking back on the situation, I should have been suspicious when he didnt want to communicate by phone, only by e-mail. He said his name was John from Louisville KY.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

You really should post all of his details, otherwise this information doesn't really help.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:10 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian, I understand the "....I'll send you more for shipping, please send me the balance..." scam, but in this case would you not ask for a wire transfer for the car? How was the car being paid for? What am I missing here? In any case, I'm glad you realized what was going on and pulled out.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:12 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy could be located anywhere. Nigeria perhaps?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcf7
Brian, I understand the "....I'll send you more for shipping, please send me the balance..." scam, but in this case would you not ask for a wire transfer for the car? How was the car being paid for? What am I missing here? In any case, I'm glad you realized what was going on and pulled out.
He was going to bring me a cashiers check to pay for the car. My gut feeling now is that he never intended to come get the car. I think the weather delays were all leading up to " I will send you a check, send me back the balance"
I also wanted to complete the transaction during business hours on a week day, but he could only do it on the weekend. All the signs pointing to a scam were there, I just didnt pick up on them early enough.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:36 PM
tkids
Pro

Stay postive! If I was so set on a 4, I would of taken you up on your great car! Plus, I would of offered to fly in on a Friday with Cash and Cashiers check and drive it home. I did that in Florida once.

On this last go around selling my car I had so many BSers. But it only took one serious buyer.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Oh god I thought you guys were onto me....
*unstuffs bank vault sacks with large $ on them*
Old 02-12-2006, 09:26 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

Cashiers checks are easily forged. The crook didn't want your car. All he wanted was the cash you would have sent him for the excess shipping costs.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:34 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P997C2S
Cashiers checks are easily forged. The crook didn't want your car. All he wanted was the cash you would have sent him for the excess shipping costs.
I agree, these days cashier's checks are no more safe than a personal check. When I sold my corvette the (out of state) buyer sent me a cashier's check from Wells Fargo bank. I took it to the local Wells Fargo branch to cash it, they called his branch to see if it was in fact good and that branch called him to make sure I should be cashing the check before my local branch would give me the money. If the banks don't trust their own checks, we should'nt either.

Cash or bank wire transfer is the best way to go.

Quick Reply: A crook is cruising the forums!