What Does Your Username Signify?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

professor....
german accent....
well, you've heard any joke I can think of already.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, we have yet to hear from Moogle, baboou, RAKLAW, Cluttermonkey (though to me, that sounds like a nickname given to him by his wife).

Let's see, who else have you guys been wanting to hear from? I heard boolala's explanation, maybe he'll repeat it for everyone's benefit.

Here's more for the "Wanted" list: jcnesq, NoSubEDU, prince_ramses ....

Last edited by OCBen; 02-06-2006 at 01:52 AM. Reason: naming names
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Geoffrey, I must say that it is VERY hard to find anyone that sees humor in sadistics....I mean statistics

There is nothing more priceless then the look on x number of students faces on day one when I walk in. You would think it was the end of the world by the look in their eyes when they realize that, no, they aren't dreaming, and yes, they will listen to my lectures for the next 16 weeks about this "stuff" that they claim they will never use in the "real" world. Sad, how mistaken they really are.
Dell,
The way in which calculus and trig was taught to me in high school, I saw no application to the real world and was not very interested. It wasn't until college stats courses that I realized, hey I can use this stuff and it IS fun. The whole reason for my change of heart was realizing its applicability. So, illustrating to students how they can use numbers in their lives to productive ends is always my goal. As my dad used to always say to me as a kid, "numbers can be your friends!" I know, it is easier said than done. There are so many math phobic people out there that will have aversions to numbers no matter what you do. Oh well, that's why I get calls all the time from organizations and businesses that want me to help with any number of consulting projects involving statistics. It's a way to make a living!

Ben, still have not heard from Edgy01.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice idea, Ben, thanks.
My 4 yr old daughter was born at 5:23am--ironically on the morning following the Super Bowl.

The 'Stan' part is kinda boring... my proper name is Paul-- back in college mech engineering professor refused to call me anything but "Stan", so the nickname stuck. The professor was iconic at the university, one of those kind grandfatherly types whose resume included the Hoover Dam, after correcting him once I had too much respect to protest. FWIW I loved statistics, one day it just 'clicked'.

I wish I could say nickname derived from a lost weekend involving sorority pledges and a beer bong
Old 02-06-2006, 01:36 AM
OCBen
Banned

Geoffrey and Dell, you'll both be proud to know that statistics was one of my favorite subjects as an undergrad and as a graduate student. For those of us who understand the language of statistics, RMS means something altogether different, and I was thinking of its statistical meaning when I first heard the term here in connection to a leak problem.

Paul: Actually the Stan origin is also pretty interesting. And it's kinda funny too. An absent-minded professor always calling you by that name as though you reminded him of a Stan and he couldn't think of any other more fitting name for you! ..

Btw, I like the 523 part too. That's pretty cool too.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
Geoffrey and Dell, you'll both be proud to know that statistics was one of my favorite subjects as an undergrad and as a graduate student. For those of us who understand the language of statistics, RMS means something altogether different, and I was thinking of its statistical meaning when I first heard the term here in connection to a leak problem.
Ah, the good old root mean square. Did you calculate ANOVAs by hand (with the help of a calculator, of course) in college? I could have used a stat software package as a student, but loved doing those ANOVAs by hand to really understand what was going on with the numbers "behind the scenes"...those were the days.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stan523
FWIW I loved statistics, one day it just 'clicked'.
And that is the very reason I love being a professor. All it takes it one "click" each semester and I keep coming back for more. Because we all know it isn't for the money. Thank God my wife makes the big money (her M.D. trumps my Ph.D.) to support our love for Porsche

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Ah, the good old root mean square. Did you calculate ANOVAs by hand (with the help of a calculator, of course) in college? I could have used a stat software package as a student, but loved doing those ANOVAs by hand to really understand what was going on with the numbers "behind the scenes"...those were the days.
Still do it by hand so my students see all the "parts" that are involved and then realize that, yes, all those early chapters on variance were ones they wished they had shown up for!

After that initial scare then I move right into SPSS and then all is right in the lazy ole world
Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stan523
Nice idea, Ben, thanks.
My 4 yr old daughter was born at 5:23am--ironically on the morning following the Super Bowl.

The 'Stan' part is kinda boring... my proper name is Paul-- back in college mech engineering professor refused to call me anything but "Stan", so the nickname stuck. The professor was iconic at the university, one of those kind grandfatherly types whose resume included the Hoover Dam, after correcting him once I had too much respect to protest. FWIW I loved statistics, one day it just 'clicked'.

I wish I could say nickname derived from a lost weekend involving sorority pledges and a beer bong
I have one of those nicknames....
"Carlsberg Canadian"

let's just say, england's low drinking age + small town british pub + almost rockstar status as a canadian and my ability to drink.......
Old 02-06-2006, 02:03 AM
OCBen
Banned

Did you calculate ANOVAs by hand (with the help of a calculator, of course) in college? I could have used a stat software package as a student, but loved doing those ANOVAs by hand to really understand what was going on with the numbers "behind the scenes"...those were the days.
Ah yes, the good ol' Analyis of Variance. Yeah, I'm sure we did a few of those by hand, but we also used a stat software package too for the more involved calculations. Minitab I believe is what we used.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:16 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah yes, the good ol' Analyis of Variance. Yeah, I'm sure we did a few of those by hand, but we also used a stat software package too for the more involved calculations. Minitab I believe is what we used.
SPSS is where it's at these days. VERY SIMPLE. Basic point and click.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:19 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you calculate ANOVAs by hand (with the help of a calculator, of course) in college?
SPSS

Zuma Beach is a place that I've spent much of time living and enjoying life to the fullest. Ron is my first name.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:26 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
All it takes it one "click" each semester and I keep coming back for more
Well... I have to admit I'm still waiting for that click. I took stats five times as an undergrad and have no idea how and why I eventually passed. For the Ph.D., I memorized my way through the quantitative classes. I pick up foreign languages with relative ease, but numbers... no. I think that part was out of stock when they compiled my brain.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:35 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kilrgt
this is why

I uses to live breath sleep mustangs....I had a little collection going , but then i got smart and found this little car company called Porsche, Cant wait to have a fair sized stable of p-cars, I like what i have so far.
heh seems like the natural progression
if you know anything about foxes you know the LTD is based on the mustang's FOX platform - so i was playing with the idea of putting in an EFI 5.0L in mine....
nice GT. Is that a mach one or a late new edge GT on the left?
you can find me on svtperformance.com, btw :P
Old 02-06-2006, 03:45 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..... I heard boolala's explanation, maybe he'll repeat it for everyone's benefit ....
In standard OCBen tradition here's a link to that post

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=56
Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by boolala
In standard OCBen tradition here's a link to that post

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=56
Alright Boo...excellent! What blows me away is that you were able to find it in the first place!

Quick Reply: What Does Your Username Signify?