Sponsored by:

Offical Porsche Response to Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I would definitely NOT buy a Sirius unit if I was interested in getting a satellite receiver. They have to be the most mismanaged high profile company anywhere. For them to think that paying Stern $100,000,000.00 per yr for 5 yrs was a good investment, they need to have their collective heads examined, 'cuz there's nothing inside but empty air. That huge boulder of liability they've strapped on to their tiny row boat is going to sink it faster than you can say fiduciary responsibility to shareholders.

I give them 2 yrs max.
care to put your 997 up against that? i'll put my current car against that
Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL ... Yeah, right. Easy for you to say with that '83 LTD. That's no bet. I'm surprised it still runs. Speaking of running, does it continue to run when you shut the engine off in that familiar jerky, sputtery, knocking sort of way? ... Those cars were famous for that. How many miles you got on it? What color is it again? ... It's blue vinyl interior, right? I'm guessing it's a white exterior.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

hahahahaha
Here's my gem
150,000 km's currently. It doesn't sputter to death, but when I take it out of neutral and put it in reverse for the first time in the day it sputters and dies - this gives me time to put my seatbelt on. 3.8L V6 of RAW POWER!!!!!! haha - makes 140hp at the crank and 200lb/ft. It's baby blue vinyl inside, and grey on the outside - was never a silver car, it was GREY - always was - and even that is oxidized. My motormounts are degraded a bit, so the car shakes a little more than usual, but i replace those and it'll be buttery smooth, lots of life left in the old girl
these things are also built tough, my sister managed to steer it into a wall at 40mph and we just bounced off.... no real damage, just a little cosmetic - they aren't built like that anymore.
In addition, James bond drove one in a view to a kill. James bond has never had a Porsche.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
...these things are also built tough, my sister managed to steer it into a wall at 40mph and we just bounced off.... no real damage, just a little cosmetic - they aren't built like that anymore.
Yeah, I remember you telling us that.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yeah, I remember you telling us that.
I broke out laughing
we hit the wall, first thing "I'm okay, how about you?" she goes "yeah I am"
this guy who was driving a cavalier and had a military uniform comes over and he's checking us out and he goes "you didn't do any damage to the car"
and i'm like "whaaa?"
i look at it and I'm expecting the WORST - like I'm expecting the front end to be caved in, I was expecting to have to have it towed away, and written off and sent to the scrapyard. and in the dark, it looked as though the car was perfect, just a slightly askew rubber bumperette. anyways, it was definitley interesting - because cars then were built as a brick - all integrated
today cars are built to crumple and fall apart and absorb the impact. The fact is that the impact in my case was dissipated throughout the entire automobile, not just the bumper / bumper cover
Old 02-04-2006, 04:06 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moderator alert! Straying off topic! I am sure there are discussion boards somewhere out there on the web for sleazy shock jocks and beater cars.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MichaelL
Moderator alert! Straying off topic! I am sure there are discussion boards somewhere out there on the web for sleazy shock jocks and beater cars.
grow up this topic has been dead for days...
and it just looks beater, it runs like a ****ing champ
Old 02-06-2006, 04:32 PM
crg1717
Advanced

Default xm /sirus radio now available

the porsche exchange in highland park il. has informed me that xm/sir can be added as aftermarket for 2m. digital .with new parts ordered from porsche for cayenne. 977 or boxter must have PCM . crg
Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crg1717
the porsche exchange in highland park il. has informed me that xm/sir can be added as aftermarket for 2m. digital .with new parts ordered from porsche for cayenne. 977 or boxter must have PCM . crg
Problem is that it's not covered under warranty as it has YET to be approved by Porsche. Besides, they still need a new antenna from the vendor to work/mount correctly as per memo from Porsche.

Until then, sure it CAN be done, but not factory covered. Proceed at your own risk at this point.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-06-2006, 05:23 PM
r@rhcrlaw.com
Track Day

Porsche responded to my follow up question this morning regarding the antenna:
Dear Mr. Rappaport,

The current 997 navigation antenna does not contain the satellite antenna
integrated into it. The navigation antenna is solely for the use of the
in-car navigation system and cannot be adapted to satellite radio.

Kind regards,

Marianne Nebel
Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breaking news.... see the other sat radio thread.... official 997 availabilty ???
Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Breaking news....
Yes, breaking news indeed on the viability of satellite radio. This just in:

"XM Satellite reports a bigger quarterly loss
Firm cites subscriber costs; director quits warning of looming ‘crisis’."

And Sirius is in worse shape financially!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11383797/
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
r@rhcrlaw.com
Track Day

Default I thought this thread was dead

Got this reply yesterday

Dear Mr. Rappaport,

Unfortunately, the resolution to the 997 satellite radio issue is not imminent. We are working to incorporate this feature into our next generation of audio systems. I am unfamiliar with the work-around described in your email below. The navigation and satellite radio antennas are completely separate and the Cayenne satellite radio receiver will not work with the sports car PCM (different software). I would be interested to hear/see how this was done by other owners. This is not something we could accomplish at the factory for your vehicle.

In my personal vehicle (997 coupe), I have installed an XM Roady XT, which then plays through the FM receiver. It works quite well for my purposes and the installation was very simple (30 minutes) with no modifications to the car and almost no wires visible. This is the solution I would recommend if satellite radio is something you cannot live without.

Best regards,

David Pryor
Manager, Product Planning
Porsche Cars North America
Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Just when you thought things are looking up.

Odd, others from outside vendors had it done with success (pics to prove it) and this is the reply from Porsche? Next Gen?? Come on!

Why can't this be a simple work-around?

Thanks for the update! Now what's next?

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Offical Porsche Response to Satellite Radio