Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you going to make me hack the CD player in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:51 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you going to make me hack the CD player in the trunk?

I mean honestly, a lawyer by trade, don't make me do this! I do admit "my dad has an awesome set of tools".

But I simply cannot believe that in this year 2006, nobody has found a way to hook an iPOD or Sat Radio feed into the MOST system without using the dreaded FM modulator. I have to believe that the CD player in the trunk, somewhere in between the laser that reads the disc and the MOST output, has an analog stage that can be tapped. There is NO analog pair anywhere?

What is up with Dension anyway? Is that project dead?

OK. Rant over. But I am getting very close to hack mode. And that is dangerous.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, having you go into hack mode, Adam, can be dangerous indeed! ...

I'm no electrical engineer but the output from the CD changer/reader gets fed into the pre-amp where it's conditioned tonally before being fed to the power amp, right? The output from the power amp driving the speakers is analog, right? And the input to the pre-amp is analog, right? So the CD reader that reads the digital signal off the CD and does multiple sampling to minimize reading error, doesn't it have a built-in integrator that converts the digital to analog, thus making the output of the CD reader an analog signal?

But you say there are no analog twisted pairs, right? ... Hmmmm.

Sounds like you could use some wiring diagrams...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 AM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I mean honestly, a lawyer by trade, don't make me do this! I do admit "my dad has an awesome set of tools".

But I simply cannot believe that in this year 2006, nobody has found a way to hook an iPOD or Sat Radio feed into the MOST system without using the dreaded FM modulator. I have to believe that the CD player in the trunk, somewhere in between the laser that reads the disc and the MOST output, has an analog stage that can be tapped. There is NO analog pair anywhere?

What is up with Dension anyway? Is that project dead?

OK. Rant over. But I am getting very close to hack mode. And that is dangerous.

If anyone can do it it is you. Lead the way. You the man
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

FM modulator?
these days it's plugged directly into the back of your deck and the iPod.
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...cker_ipod.html
That's somewhat like what is in my car.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 AM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
FM modulator?
these days it's plugged directly into the back of your deck and the iPod.
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...cker_ipod.html
That's somewhat like what is in my car.
Will this work?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

I don't know if I'm volunteering information he would rather I didn't, but I think one of your best resources for this would be 'ltc' or Lewis.

*Anonymous*
Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by littlebigfish
Will this work?
That's the thing, for you, I dunno.
My car isn't a porsche, and it has an aftermarket Kenwood deck and a kenwood ipod plugin. For me, it was simply plugging it into the back of the deck and wiring this into the glovebox. Pioneer makes one that's plug and play as well.
However factor in Porsche steering wheel controls, PCM, etc etc... It might not work.
It's annoying because Ferrari, Volvo, etc etc are all working hand in hand with apple to make this technology an option from the factory. However I'm not sure if Porsche is.
It's not really cheap though, that's about $200 USD right there, that system, and that's just a plugin. I got a deal on mine from a kenwood dealer who was overstocked.
Pioneer makes one too. Offhand.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/
Found it!
apple's official mini site.
scroll to the bottom and click on 'aftermarket solutions'
Old 01-20-2006, 12:23 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yeah, having you go into hack mode, Adam, can be dangerous indeed! ...

I'm no electrical engineer but the output from the CD changer/reader gets fed into the pre-amp where it's conditioned tonally before being fed to the power amp, right? The output from the power amp driving the speakers is analog, right? Should we And the input to the pre-amp is analog, right? So the CD reader that reads the digital signal off the CD and does multiple sampling to minimize reading error, doesn't it have a built-in integrator that converts the digital to analog, thus making the output of the CD reader an analog signal?

But you say there are no analog twisted pairs, right? ... Hmmmm.

Sounds like you could use some wiring diagrams...
Do you know for a fact there is a separate pre-amp and power amp? Do you know where they are located? If that CD player has an analog output to a pre amp this project research is completed. That would be perfect. I need to check. I thought its all digital.

Now, if it is digital, it depends whether there is a separate audio feed of pure audio digital - or - whether MOST data such as metafile information and CD status it digitized into that digital music feed.

IF it is not analog, but pure digital without the data stream, a DA (digital to analog) converter might be used to convert the ipod to digital and then use an AB switch.

I am going to remove the CD player if I can do it easily and then start poking around.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:27 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

By the way, looking ahead, there is a radio frequency remote for the iPOD so, if I figure this out, the iPOD can stay in the trunk and be remotely controled from the cockpit. My A/B switch would be remote control also.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

because iPods are just so big and bulky that the only place they'll possibly fit is in the trunk...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally wouldn't start poking around without a wiring diagram or a schematic, but that's just me.

As for what is what, I do know for a fact (as every audiophile or student of physics knows) that the drivers (or speakers) are driven by sinusoidal signals (analog), which is the direct output of the power amp, whose output then must be analog. Now the preamp (which colors the audio signals with tonal qualities - more treble, less bass) may or may not be a separate unit physically, but it is a separate unit electronically, and may even be on the same circuit board. As for it handling an analog signal at this point, I can't say for sure, but I was under the impression that analog signals get processed by the preamp as well.

The CD output is definitely digital. And a CD player converts the digital to analog using multiple sampling for error reduction. Perhaps there is an audio or electronic engineer here who can chime in and clarify for us.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I emailed Dension last night and they responded this morning saying the Porsche MOST device should be ready in one month. I'm not holding my breath as they have been "working" on it for a long time, but hopefully they really are close.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:06 PM
MMD
Banned

Gotta say you've got cajones (?) to mess with it ("hack" is a very scary word to use in this case). Took dealer service three times to attempt to fix,de-bug and then finally replace my crashed PCM (cd,nav,radio). That was a while ago, so maybe things are better now.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Well, I hacked the rear view mirror for switched power for the V1. Not to toot my own horn (pun intended), but poking around is half the fun. At the very least, there is no harm in looking.

Ben, yes the CD player is digital - for sure at the initial circuitry off the laser. Most CD players have DA converters for an output phase. Question is whether there are 3 wires coming out of our subject CD player (left, right, ground) that actually have an analog source, with the MOST circuitry limited to the data paths. If audio and data are tied into MOST, I am dead in water.

My guess is 'maybe'. I doubt I will find 2 RCA jacks marked L and R (yeah, right). But maybe there are colored wires and if I open the CD player I can find out which ones.

jcnesq....did you specifically ask for the MOST adaptor for a 997? Or are they saying the Cayenne will be ready in a month? If this is true, I will wait impatiently.

Quick Reply: Are you going to make me hack the CD player in the trunk?