Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you going to make me hack the CD player in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Adam, assuming there are only two channels (L & R) as outputs from the CD player (quadraphonic or surround system signals not available as outputs) there could be two pairs coming out the box and not just 3 wires as you're surmising. If you do find them, you need to know what the typical output is of a CD player in terms of peak-to-peak voltage, if you plan on tapping in at this point with another device. But before you do, it is critical to know what the max. output of your device is in the same apples-to-apples terms (Vp-p or Vrms). You will do serious damage to your preamp, obviously, if you're feeding in more power into this tapped line than it was designed to handle.

Another important thing to consider is that whatever switch you use to toggle back and forth between sources while your radio is in CD mode (it obviouslly won't know the difference) should be something less conspicuous than your basic toggle switch - maybe a little black push button. Ideally it would be nice to find an auxiliary input and set your radio to "AUX".
Old 01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
If audio and data are tied into MOST, I am dead in water..
Since you are dead in the water, would you like a viking funeral?

jcnesq....did you specifically ask for the MOST adaptor for a 997? Or are they saying the Cayenne will be ready in a month? If this is true, I will wait impatiently.
Densionusa showed their 'first in the world' MOST aftermarket solution a year ago at CES. Still getting the 'anyday now'.....

For those who would like some more info:
http://www.mostcooperation.com/

I've had an iPod running over MOST for the past 2 years in my Porsche....but I'm special
Old 01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I called Dension and supposedly they will be ready to "test" on a Carrera in about 3 weeks. It wasn't real clear whether they are closer on Cayenne than 911 or whether it will / should work on both. I half volunteered to let them test on me (they are local) but actually that makes me nervous and I was mainly interested in having them call me back so I know what's going on.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:57 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
...I've had an iPod running over MOST for the past 2 years in my Porsche....but I'm special
Not going to share the wealth?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:18 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jcnesq.... I may wait then. Thanks! Please keep us (me) updated!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

.... I may wait then.
Smart move.

You can put away the chainsaw and the cutting torch for now...
Old 01-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1080i Addict: I installed a Dension IceLink in my 993 (after first upgrading the Radio/CD from a CDR-210 to a CDR-220), and wired it to have the iPod in my center console. The iPod can be controlled thru the CDR-220. While it isn't perfect, one can forward, reverse and repeat tracks, as well as turn it on or off. (interestingly, this is all one can do with the iPod Remote.) I don't understand the reluctance to install the FM Modulator, as it is not a whole lot more hassle than the Dension. Granted, one simply unplugs the CD changer and plugs in the Dension to get it to work, but there still is the issue of wiring to the storage location for the iPod. The FM Modulator approach is only slightly more troublesome. See http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennegallery/album01 ... or am I missing something. I am familiar with the audiphile issues of the FM Modulator, but it shouldn't be confused with the FM transmitter approach (as per Griffin Tech, Belkin, etc.)

Also: Can you easily (dumb-down level) explain why a Sony Plasma HDTV optical output wouldn't be recognized by a Yamaha YSP-1000? As it turns out, a workaround to control the YSP-1000 is to use the digital out from the cable box into the YSP and then use a Harmony Remote. But, I don't understand why the TV optical out fails. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

well was at future shop (best buy) today, out of coincidence, and looked at the iPod to deck adapters. There's a brand that makes them for different brands of cars, different aftermarket head units, and then just general like 'asian' and 'european'
worth looking into

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

So that's the basic idea, it's coming out the front for visual purposes. Thing is you'll pay close to $200 usd.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Since you are dead in the water, would you like a viking funeral?
I've had an iPod running over MOST for the past 2 years in my Porsche....but I'm special
Just got back from Toronto and was looking at this thread - just waiting to come across your response...
Old 01-22-2006, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Just got back from Toronto and was looking at this thread - just waiting to come across your response...
Welcome back.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OCBen
I'm no electrical engineer but the output from the CD changer/reader gets fed into the pre-amp where it's conditioned tonally before being fed to the power amp, right?...
Wrong. The connection between the CDC and the amplifier is MOST plastic optical fiber.

The output from the power amp driving the speakers is analog, right? ...
Yes. Basically, Class AB linear amplifier IC's (3 dual channel IC), one switching amplifier for bass tranducer(s) and one line level output for a remote, self powered subwoofer assembly.

And the input to the pre-amp is analog, right? ...
Wrong. The input to the ampliier is a digital data stream transmitted via MOST plastic fiber optics. The only analog inputs to the amplifier are for the microphone(s).

So the CD reader that reads the digital signal off the CD and does multiple sampling to minimize reading error, doesn't it have a built-in integrator that converts the digital to analog, thus making the output of the CD reader an analog signal?...
No.

But you say there are no analog twisted pairs, right? ... Hmmmm....
Yes.

Sounds like you could use some wiring diagrams...
Wouldn't do you any good.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Do you know for a fact there is a separate pre-amp and power amp? .
No, there is not.

Do you know where they are located? .
Under the front bonnet.

If that CD player has an analog output to a pre amp this project research is completed. That would be perfect. I need to check. I thought its all digital..
CDC output is MOST digital over plastic fiber optics.

Now, if it is digital, it depends whether there is a separate audio feed of pure audio digital - or - whether MOST data such as metafile information and CD status it digitized into that digital music feed. .
It is a combined digital data stream of content and control.

IF it is not analog,..
No IF, it's not analog.

but pure digital without the data stream, a DA (digital to analog) converter might be used to convert the ipod to digital and then use an AB switch..
Wont' work as you described.

I am going to remove the CD player if I can do it easily and then start poking around.
I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As for what is what, I do know for a fact (as every audiophile or student of physics knows) that the drivers (or speakers) are driven by sinusoidal signals (analog), .
Perhaps somewhat valid for linear amplifier output stages, but definitely not the case for a switching amplifier topology (pre output filter anyways). You can convert ANY waveform into a sum of sinusoids, at least according to the late Mr. Fourier.

Now the preamp (which colors the audio signals with tonal qualities - more treble, less bass) may or may not be a separate unit physically,.
It is not a seperate assembly.

but it is a separate unit electronically, and may even be on the same circuit board. .
Yes, its' on the same circuit board and it's a Motorola DSP. All the tuning/equalization is done in the digital domain.....which kind of goes along with having a digital data interface.

Perhaps there is an audio or electronic engineer here who can chime in and clarify for us.
You mean perhaps the individual who designed it? He's never around when you need him.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phantomias33
I don't know if I'm volunteering information he would rather I didn't, but I think one of your best resources for this would be 'ltc' or Lewis.
*Anonymous*
Thanks .... *Anonymous*
Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jcnesq
It wasn't real clear whether they are closer on Cayenne than 911 or whether it will / should work on both.
It would work on both. MOST physical layer is identical and the MOST PAG protocol is 99% identical across platforms.

Quick Reply: Are you going to make me hack the CD player in the trunk?